Unarmed attackers

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Unarmed attackers

Post by Ray81 »

Hello good citizens,

Has anyone had to deal with multiple unarmed attackers? There are a few thugs in my neighborhood who go around assaulting people at night who are alone and pick fights at bars and restaurants in Columbus, OH short north area. I was unfortunately one of their victims and have suffered multiple injuries to my eye, ear and brain. I didnt see any weapons on them, but it was dark so I could be wrong. The only reason I'm alive is because a few bystanders stopped the violent surprise attack. I had to get a brain and ear Mri and then had to get a Lumbar puncture procedure at OSU medical center. My ears are still ringing as I type this and my doc said to deal with it. This happened last year before I got my CCW.

Even though I'm CCW I still do not venture out of my home in short north area after 9 or 10 pm because these guys are out there and who knows what they are up to.
I reported everything to the police but it was too late and there was very little the police could do, even though I found their names on facebook because of lack of eyewitnesses. So basically its my word against these 2 criminals. My injuries are all internal and the intake officer really didn't seem to care about me when i went to his office downtown. I was instead referred to a civil court which I'm not interested in because all I get back from a civilian court is money.

All this happened because I stood my ground at a restaurant/bar and I never attacked them first. I've worked my whole life in hospitals helping doctors and patients and this event has made me realize no matter how good you do in life, life is cruel and there are some really bad guys out there.

If something like this happened to you, would you still go to these restaurants or lounge knowing these guys are out there, even though you are CCW?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Unarmed attackers

Post by TSiWRX »

I am sorry to read of your ordeal, as well as your pain and suffering. :(

That said, if I had a crystal ball and I could see trouble coming, I'd choose to avoid it if at all possible.

It is my strong belief that my first - and best - protection is awareness and avoidance.

And yes, this includes swallowing my pride and simply leaving. Once violence starts, it's too late, but up until that point, I have a choice, and my choice will always be to de-escalate, even if that means tucking tail and leaving or having to alter my lifestyle (if at all possible) so that I will not be where and when trouble plays.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Definitely don't go out alone given such circumstances.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I'd like to clarify:
TSiWRX wrote:...or having to alter my lifestyle (if at all possible) so that I will not be where and when trouble plays.
By this, I am fully aware that there are some circumstances where avoidance is all but impossible - i.e. that a person lives in a certain area or must commute to/from work during certain hours, and that it is not economically feasible for them to alter such circumstances.

That said, what Ray81 wrote was, specifically:
Ray81 wrote: If something like this happened to you, would you still go to these restaurants or lounge knowing these guys are out there, even though you are CCW?
^ My question would then be, to myself - do I *have* to be there? Is that where and when I work, or is that where/when I choose to do my recreational activities?

While I most certainly think that it absolutely sucks :x that good people have to alter their lifestyles, I also very much live in the real world: and in this world, I'd rather just stay away from trouble, period.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

If there is more than one attacker, whether they have weapons or not is irrelevant... It is considered disparity of force, or at least that was what I have been taught... But as others have said, it is best to avoid such situations if at all possible... If not, then all bets are off... I'll do what I have to do to protect me and mine.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Bama.45 wrote:If there is more than one attacker, whether they have weapons or not is irrelevant... It is considered disparity of force, or at least that was what I have been taught... But as others have said, it is best to avoid such situations if at all possible... If not, then all bets are off... I'll do what I have to do to protect me and mine.
I agree with this. I would add however we have the duty retreat if possible to do so safely. Each situation is different.

Another poster on this forum admonishes often to avoid the iron triangle of trouble. Bad places, bad people and bad things. Good advice.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Thanks everyone... Yes thats what I've been doing. I've been reading, watching movies at home on weekends or visiting my girlfriend who lives out of town. Some of my friends keep asking me to go out late at night but I've turned them down as well. However the girl I'm currently dating lives out of town and when she comes to Columbus I would like to her out to dinner etc. I'll make sure I'm carrying because the last thing I want is a female to be assaulted and we will probably just have dinner and she can drink if she wants. I dont' drink anymore except when I'm home, and even then its just a beer or 1 drink. Plus its a felony to drink and carry in Ohio and my CCW is worth more than a silly glass of liquor or beer.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Avoid the Iron Triangle of Trouble. Avoid bad people, bad places, and bad things.

If the people in one's neighborhood place you and yours in jeopardy, give serious consideration to changing one's neighborhood.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ray81 wrote:... This happened last year before I got my CCW.
Ray, if I may ask, what was your frame of mind that kept you from getting your Concealed Handgun License before this incident?

For example, "That will never happen to me" or "I'm never in a bad neighborhood" or something similar.

Your insight of your pre-CHL mindset may be useful in educating others that may not be considering self-defense as a personal responsibility.
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Sorry for your situation......
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Ray81 wrote:... This happened last year before I got my CCW.
Ray, if I may ask, what was your frame of mind that kept you from getting your Concealed Handgun License before this incident?

For example, "That will never happen to me" or "I'm never in a bad neighborhood" or something similar.

Your insight of your pre-CHL mindset may be useful in educating others that may not be considering self-defense as a personal responsibility.
Hi,

Before this happened I was under the impression that the Police is there to protect and serve. Who needs a gun anyways. Its a hassle, people will think I'm a bad guy. I workout, i'm healthy. I think I know how to defend myself. That was my mindset.

O man was I wrong because in my case the police were only 1 block away and I could have died right there 1 block away from where cops stand on weekends in my area. Who would have thought someone could be so determined to attack when there are cops around. I must have really made these criminals mad I guess.

For those of you who think people without weapons are not a threat, think again. I'm posting my MRI results and lumbar puncture info for all to see so people get educated that this is what punches, maybe kicks to your head/brain can do. I don't think getting hit anywhere on the head is worth it.

BRAIN:
There is bilateral distention of the optic nerve sheaths, with
flattening of the posterior globes and bulging of the optic nerve
heads, suggestive of papilledema and elevated intracranial pressure.
There is also an expanded, partially empty sella. Meckel's caves
appear slightly prominent.
Brain parenchyma appears normal. No mass lesion, abnormal
enhancement, infarction or hemorrhage is identified.
Ventricles are normal in size.
Paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells appear clear.

IACs: - INNER EAR MRI
Posterior Fossa:
Brainstem and cerebellum appear unremarkable. No cerebello-pontine
angle cistern mass.
A vascular loop of the right anterior inferior cerebellar artery
slightly enters the right porous acusticus.
A vascular loop of the left superior cerebellar artery abuts the
medial cisternal segment of the left trigeminal nerve near the root
entry zone.
Temporal Bones:
Seventh and eighth nerve complexes appear unremarkable, without
evidence of mass. Otic capsule structures appear normal in signal.
Mastoid signal within normal limits. No other temporal bone signal
abnormality is identified.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lumbar Puncture:
Opening pressure was 33 cm H2O. 19 ml of clear colorless cerebrospinal fluid was removed and sent to the laboratory for analysis. Closing pressure was 13.5 cm H2O.
The needle was then removed and a bandage applied to the site.
The patient tolerated the procedure well without any immediate complications.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Ray81 wrote: For those of you who think people without weapons are not a threat, think again.
Exactly - I bristle every time I hear the "unarmed suspect" routine by the media.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I see you are new here so let me first say welcome. :D
Ray81 wrote: All this happened because I stood my ground at a restaurant/bar and I never attacked them first.
I think it's important to note that Ohio is not a "Stand Your Ground" state, and that you have a legal duty to retreat in a confrontation, regardless of who started it. Pride may not stand up well in court should you be forced to defend yourself in the future. I know that nobody wants to put up with injustice, but sometimes your life, health and freedom may be more precious.

Tweeds words of advise above are wise. I implore you to take them to heart.
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Klingon00 wrote:I see you are new here so let me first say welcome. :D
Ray81 wrote: All this happened because I stood my ground at a restaurant/bar and I never attacked them first.
I think it's important to note that Ohio is not a "Stand Your Ground" state, and that you have a legal duty to retreat in a confrontation, regardless of who started it. Pride may not stand up well in court should you be forced to defend yourself in the future. I know that nobody wants to put up with injustice, but sometimes your life, health and freedom may be more precious.

Tweeds words of advise above are wise. I implore you to take them to heart.
Hi,

Yes I was walking away from the confrontation. I have worked in the ER, surgery rooms etc and have seen the blood/pain. The last thing I want to do is fight, but these guys are instigators and have no respect for life. While I was walking home they attacked me from behind by surprise. I should have been more careful, looked around instead of just walking home calmly.

A friend of mine who knows them through his friends told me 3 months before I was attacked they attacked another guy by picking a fight, and beating the crap out of him and went around bragging some guy was following 3 of them and they kicked his butt. I bet that lonely guy wasn't following them at all, it was the other way around.
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

Unfortunately you are now in a very vicarious,and dangerous situation.Your history with the people that injured you and the fact that you identified them(on social media),woulld surely muddy any future claim of self defense.