Flat tire at 300 am

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daniel964

Flat tire at 300 am

Post by Daniel964 »

I was on my way through Columbus on 70 east bound when I had a blow out right past the 4th Street exit. I started trying to get the spare out from under the truck bed when I noticed flashings lights pulling up behind me. I got back out and let my hands be seen by the officer.OSP I advised her I had a ccw and was armed. That it was in my right hand coat pocket. I asked her if she would like to take control of it. She said no that's okay. Just leave it in your pocket. She called in the tags and asked me my name to verify ownership while I continued to try and get the tire loose. I told I was giving up and calling for my roadside assistance. She offered to give me a ride the rest of the way to work. I thanked her and told her I would call off since I couldn't take my firearm inside at work and I didn't want to leave it in the truck along the freeway. She told me she would radio in I would be their and waiting for a tow truck. Not only was she one of the nicest officers I've ever met. She was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Two days later I got sent home sick. I'm still home with pneumonia. As soon as I'm able to talk without getting out of breath I'm calling the OSP to tell them how nice she was and how much I appreciated her help.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Flat tire at 300 am

Post by sd790 »

Glad you had a positive experience with OSP. I do question your motive for asking if the officer would like to take control of your gun. Handling your firearm is illegal and an officer grabbing puts you both in danger of a ND and I cannot think of any reason to offer that.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Daniel964

Post by Daniel964 »

I offered since past reading has shown many officers want to secure the firearm. I feel the offer showed I understood any of her concerns. I wouldn't have touched it. I would have allowed her to remove it.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Daniel:

Hope you clear out of the pneumonia ASAP. I had it in 1999, and while it wasn't a big deal, I did spend four days in the hospital. My doc is very conservative so he didn't try anything "at home". But it can be non-fun....

Glad you had a good experience with OSP. Some of those Officers are really decent people.

sd790:

The "handling the gun" prohibition specifically excludes things you might be asked to do by the Officer. While soliciting "do you want control of it" may not be the best idea, the Officer's "yes" would cover that. (A video and/or audio recording might be a big help in this instance, but if the Officer is honest, there's no problem.)

In the past, the law seemed to indicate that you couldn't touch the gun while in the vehicle (or at least while driving), but that, IMHO, was a wrong interpretation. They didn't want you to render a concealed weapon visible (to conform with "in plain sight") during a traffic stop, but, otherwise the presumption that an Officer could see you touch that gun other than during a stop is kinda nonsense.

IMHO/IANAL

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

What is this "OSP" you speak of?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
mreising

Post by mreising »

gaptrick wrote:What is this "OSP" you speak of?
Campus cops? :D
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Ohio State Patrol
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

[quote="gaptrick"]What is this "OSP" you speak of?[/quote
Oh So Polite ..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Tweed Ring wrote:Ohio State Patrol
Ohio State Highway Patrol. As in OSHP!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

They nicknamed them 'CHIPS' in Californicata, so here they could be 'SIPS' ?
fisher

Post by fisher »

curmudgeon3 wrote:They nicknamed them 'CHIPS' in Californicata, so here they could be 'SIPS' ?
I thought " OSHIPS ".
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArmyAndNavyVet

Post by ArmyAndNavyVet »

Don't just call them. Write a really nice thank-you letter so they will put it in her personnel folder.
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Viet Nam Combat Veteran, 1967-1968, I Corps (Army)
Beirut 1983 (Navy)
Lấy máu Nga Hoa mà hòa rượu đế
Lấy xác cộng xây cầu bên hải
Lấy râu cụ Hồ làm bàn chải đánh giầy
Chặt đầu việt cộng mà nấu canh chua
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

If one is referred to as the "Ohio State Police" enough times, one may actually start to believe it. I opt not to drop the "H"
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

gaptrick wrote:If one is referred to as the "Ohio State Police" enough times, one may actually start to believe it. I opt not to drop the "H"

Agree 100% Should rename them to Ohio State Traffic Enforcement as they don't do much "real" Police work anyway.
Face

Post by Face »

I know the correct terminology, but in all my years of scanner listening as well as casual conversations with officers - both Highway Patrol and others, they always call it OSP.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.