Suspicious guy

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Glock513

Suspicious guy

Post by Glock513 »

Just returned from one of my favorite restaurants. a little hole in the wall, but the food is awesome, fresh, and affordable. Guy walks in wearing a hoodie, never removes it, and he keeps his left hand in his hoodie pocket. Owner asked him if he wanted to place and order, he says no, just looking, so the owner hands him a menu anyway. So this dude, still wearing his Damn hoodie, and still with his left hand in his hoodie, then starts looking at everyone, looked like he was casing the joint. The owners looked a little worried, hell I was worried too, I thought it was only going to be a matter of til the guy pulled a gun out of his pocket and robbed the place. Entire time I'm holding my G19, under the table, sitting in distant corner at the back of the restaurant. I had a great tactical spot, the guy had his back turned to me. More customers walked in, he keeps looking around, then more people come in so he leaves. Luckily nothing happened, but man did my heart. I immediately talked to the owners when he left, and their gut was telling them the same thing, that guy was going to rob the place. It's close to closing time, so I left too. Hopefully the guy didn't return tonight and finish the job. I know the owners are unarmed.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
BobK

Re: Suspicious guy

Post by BobK »

Good awareness. Better to be prepared and not need to act, than to need to act while being unprepared!
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Glad things went as they did.. That could have gone horrible and fast.
I'm suspicious of hoodies indoors period.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

He sensed Zanshin in the room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanshin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The British are going! The British are going!
outbackmac

Post by outbackmac »

Intresting. So in that situation you are by law permitted to draw your weapon, even thogh the direct threat was not on you?
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

outbackmac wrote:Intresting. So in that situation you are by law permitted to draw your weapon, even thogh the direct threat was not on you?
Not prohibited = permitted.

Seems as if nobody knew. The shady visitor couldn't be assaulted, as he had neither physical harm, nor psychological alarm. The other patrons could have had panic "induced" in them, since you can't be panicked about that of which you aren't aware.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

In these situations, the time to draw one's weapon is before one needs it, not when one needs it.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Tweed Ring wrote:In these situations, the time to draw one's weapon is before one needs it, not when one needs it.
That's why I like pocket holsters.

You can have your hand on the gun the whole time and nobody knows it.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

deanimator wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:In these situations, the time to draw one's weapon is before one needs it, not when one needs it.
That's why I like pocket holsters.

You can have your hand on the gun the whole time and nobody knows it.
Especially when you're wearing a hoodie.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Hand(s) in the pocket always draws my attention, no matter the circumstances.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Hoodie man was there for no good. Maybe not to rob it, maybe hiding from someone looking for him, whatever, but he wasn't there to check out the place to see if he wanted to bring his girlfriend in some time.

I've stopped in restaurants to just look around. I check out the environment, seating, etc. (Look like I'm casing the joint?) But then, I use both hands to pick up and examine the menu, check the selections and the prices, etc.

And, I do not have to be the direct recipient of the threat before drawing my weapon.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The other patrons could have had panic "induced" in them, since you can't be panicked about that of which you aren't aware.
Correction: "COULDN'T have had panic".
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BobK wrote:Good awareness. Better to be prepared and not need to act, than to need to act while being unprepared!
You got that right
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

muxtech wrote:He sensed Zanshin in the room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanshin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My thought as well. He was wise to listen to that little voice in his head. Many are not so wise.
councilxvb32

Post by councilxvb32 »

Good awareness.