New apartment .... yikes

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soldier24

New apartment .... yikes

Post by soldier24 »

For anyone that cares, After moving into a new apartment, I recently talked to some neighbors. A few early 20 year old girls live in the first floor, ( live in the third), On the second floor there is a couple that fights, throws glassware, and yells at all hours of the night. A few of girls called the cops a few times, or even banged on the door to ask them to stop etc etc. Well from what they are saying the guy as taken a knife and kind of chased them away from the door and has even threatened to hurt them if they call the cops again. ( the apartment owners are talking their time into taking action) .. can't wait to live here for the next 12 months. oh and to make it more gun related , They both saw me carrying a sidearm, hopefully these 2 crackheads don't try and break into my apt for it or my other guns... or try anything stupid otherwise .
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
JediSkipdogg

Re: New apartment .... yikes

Post by JediSkipdogg »

soldier24 wrote: ( the apartment owners are talking their time into taking action)
Here's what I've learned from the apartment world in dealing with my job. Do they pay the bill on time? If yes then they are a good tenant.

If they don't pay on time or the owner actually cares about having a low crime rate, it can take a good two months to kick them out.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

soldier24 wrote: They both saw me carrying a sidearm,
That was a mistake.
HancockCountyHaL
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
soldier24 wrote: ( the apartment owners are talking their time into taking action)
Here's what I've learned from the apartment world in dealing with my job. Do they pay the bill on time? If yes then they are a good tenant.

If they don't pay on time or the owner actually cares about having a low crime rate, it can take a good two months to kick them out.
More if they are professional deadbeats or hire a knowledgeable lawyer who will play the game.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

We actually moved from our previous apartment in part because of a few individuals who we knew carried. One of the guys wore his CHL on a lanyard around his neck while OC'ing. We lived on the second floor and I'd always have the windows open, turns out you overhear a lot of stuff from keeping windows open. He certainly wasn't one of the guys we'd like speaking at a seminar for Pro carry.

There were many arguments and "deals" from this person that I didn't agree with. These never involved us but were watched/overheard. He would proudly proclaim that he didn't need to have a CHL on him because it was like a drivers license. Anyway, long story short this guy was trouble, didn't care to learn laws and a horrible neighbor. Sad to say that another CHL carrier was a reason for me to move. In that building alone I know 8 of 12 dwellings had firearms.

Point being, noone knew we carried. I stopped open carrying much before moving into that apartment because I didn't want to "freak" any one out in a new neighborhood before getting the hang of it. Glad I didn't let them know. I'd rather unsavory characters not know I am carrying anymore, not sure if they have a tendency to be more or less violent towards someone they know has a firearm. I have since moved more and more away from OC. Not that I don't or won't OC now, just not as often.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

XDSC9G30 wrote:We actually moved from our previous apartment in part because of a few individuals who we knew carried. One of the guys wore his CHL on a lanyard around his neck while OC'ing. We lived on the second floor and I'd always have the windows open, turns out you overhear a lot of stuff from keeping windows open. He certainly wasn't one of the guys we'd like speaking at a seminar for Pro carry.

There were many arguments and "deals" from this person that I didn't agree with. These never involved us but were watched/overheard. He would proudly proclaim that he didn't need to have a CHL on him because it was like a drivers license. Anyway, long story short this guy was trouble, didn't care to learn laws and a horrible neighbor. Sad to say that another CHL carrier was a reason for me to move. In that building alone I know 8 of 12 dwellings had firearms.

Point being, noone knew we carried. I stopped open carrying much before moving into that apartment because I didn't want to "freak" any one out in a new neighborhood before getting the hang of it. Glad I didn't let them know. I'd rather unsavory characters not know I am carrying anymore, not sure if they have a tendency to be more or less violent towards someone they know has a firearm. I have since moved more and more away from OC. Not that I don't or won't OC now, just not as often.

Ummm.....
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

TJW815 wrote:
XDSC9G30 wrote:We actually moved from our previous apartment in part because of a few individuals who we knew carried. One of the guys wore his CHL on a lanyard around his neck while OC'ing. We lived on the second floor and I'd always have the windows open, turns out you overhear a lot of stuff from keeping windows open. He certainly wasn't one of the guys we'd like speaking at a seminar for Pro carry.

Ummm.....
He knew THEY carried.
They didn't know HE carried. :wink:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

Jim is correct. We knew THEY carried, since they OC plus the CHL on a lanyard gave it away. They didn't know we carried since we kept it concealed, and we don't carry our CHL around our neck.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I have a crazy apartment store. I had an apartment that I was in the process of moving out of while I finished remodeling my home. Luckily I moved all the guns and ammo first thing and put them at the new place, because as soon as the deadbeats upstairs saw I wasn't home for a few days, they kicked in the door and went through everything. Everything of value was gone. The did find my spare set of keys and took them and got in the garage and stole the landlords lawn mower and snow blower. They stole a steam cleaner of mine and went through my medicine cabinet and stole a Vicodin bottle that I only had some Tylenol in.

While the Landlord and Police were their, she said they haven't paid rent for 3 months, and that Ohio Edison had to come take out there electric meeter, because they kept hooking it back up. I also caught them using my dryer outlet to plug their dryer into as well. The were also always trying to re-hookup their cable and getting in trouble for that too. So... We walk outside and notice a extension cord coming out of their window. They had spray pained it white to match the house and then ran it into the basement. In the basement they spray painted it black to match the ceiling and then plugged it into they other neighbors washer outlet to steal her electricity. We then notice that their cable was hooked back up and they left my pliers and screwdriver laying on my counter with the tag they cut off the cable box. The police took picture of it all.

They left a patrol car their and as soon as they came home the police arrested them and charged them both. They spent a night in jail and then got out. I was over there repairing the door, that they kicked in for the landlord and he comes running downstairs saying "So I heard you been talking about me." I dialed 911 and sat the phone down as he was coming down the stairs. I told him to "Go Away, Leave me Alone". He starts with the whole, well I am going to beat your white butt" stuff. I picked up my Great Uncles old 45 from WWII (the only handgun I had back then, I didn't have a CHL yet) and took a few steps back from the door. He got one step in and I drew on him and said get out of my apartment or I will shoot you. He turned around ran back upstairs. The police came and took a report on that too and had the 911 recording, and arrested him again. I hurried and got the door fixed and got the rest of my stuff out of there that day and never went back.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Sorry had been up at the hospital for a while. I swear I read it over like 5 times. Even still I thought I PMd him not replied. My bad