Near miss, Subway store robbed at knifepoint

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Near miss, Subway store robbed at knifepoint

Post by SeanC »

carmen fovozzo wrote:For those that cop out on a arm robbery when they could of helped, I say this....I hope it is not one of your love one's in that situation....For those that cop out if my wife's bank is robbed when she is there working, and you are there, and something bad goes down.....You will be on my crap list...
Bama.45 wrote:As I've said before... I couldn't sit back and watch someone get killed... I know that's a decision each man/woman must make... But my decision has been made a long time ago.... I like others have stated, hope that if my wife was in a situation like that, someone would do their best to protect her.... It's not about playing cop, its about caring about your fellow man/woman... That's one thing that's wrong with this country... Folks don't care about their neighbor...its all about them....There was a time when we cared for each other.
I care for my fellow man, but I have higher obligations these days. I need to be around for my kids. That means I do absolutely everything in my power to avoid getting involved in situations that could get me killed or imprisoned. Sorry if someone else has to pay the price for that, but I'm satisfied with my priorities.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

BobK wrote:If I walk into a robbery in progress at the local McDonalds where I stop every morning for ice tea on the way to work, I am shooting the perp.
I am confused. As someone, who continually espouses their knowledge of the Ohio ORC, is that a realistic option ?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Life is replete with choices. Prison is no fun, nor is being driven into bankruptcy. I have 3 adult sons who depend on me for advice, and a plethora of nieces and nephews who will depend, on me in part, for college.

I cannot, I shall not, put those obligations at risk for strangers, no matter their level of jeopardy.

I am selfish – I choose not to live under a bridge, nor give advice, i.e. political, career, etc. only on visiting day.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Six Shooter wrote:
BobK wrote:If I walk into a robbery in progress at the local McDonalds where I stop every morning for ice tea on the way to work, I am shooting the perp.
I am confused. As someone, who continually espouses their knowledge of the Ohio ORC, is that a realistic option ?

Texas centric
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Tweed Ring wrote:Texas centric
Or, internet bravado.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

My thoughts:
I personally have no problem with heroes doing what they do and would hope that heroes will be around when needed most.

That said, I never expect it which is why I see self defense as a personal responsibility. I think it's wise to heed the cautionary tales Tweed has mentioned and know the added risks involved before deciding to be a hero.

Getting involved can get you and others killed.
Getting involved can ruin your life.
Getting involved can earn you some praise and much vilification.

If that all sounds like risks worth taking I support you if your motives are just.

In fact I really don't know how I would act in such a situation until placed in it.

-I do know I place the lives of my family and loved ones (including my own) above that of complete strangers.
-I also wouldn't stand by and allow a loved one to come to harm if by my actions I could prevent it, including fleeing the scene with them if that's what it takes.
-I recognize I have a soft spot for innocent victims and tend to side with them over thugs with evil intent.

These are all calculations that I'm not sure I'd have time to make in a split second decision.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I'd also like to point out a story in this other thread here: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=83181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'd better be real sure of what is going on before getting involved.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

The Federation stands with their Klingon brothers on this one. :P :lol:

-----

In all seriousness, I also believe that the calculus is incredibly complex.

I do see merit in both sides of the argument, and it's in much the same way as many of my fellow members have painted, here. There's a lot to think about, no matter which side of the equation one falls into.

I really don't know what I will do in the moment: all I can do is to hope and pray that whatever it is that I do in that moment will prove to be the right thing to do.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Six Shooter wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:Texas centric
Or, internet bravado.

Conversely, I am but an Internet coward...
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I have a CHL for my defense ,other adults are advised that I am neither a LEO nor am I a "sheepdog" and they are ultimately responsible for their own defense.

And I care not a wit what others may think of my stance in this matter.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

TSiWRX wrote:The Federation stands with their Klingon brothers on this one. :P :lol:

-----

In all seriousness, I also believe that the calculus is incredibly complex.

I do see merit in both sides of the argument, and it's in much the same way as many of my fellow members have painted, here. There's a lot to think about, no matter which side of the equation one falls into.

I really don't know what I will do in the moment: all I can do is to hope and pray that whatever it is that I do in that moment will prove to be the right thing to do.
And, typically, one has but a few seconds to make that decision.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Definitely.

I simply think that it is too complex of a decision, with too many variables, for me to go into it with a fixed mindset.

I will have to let my knowledge of the law play out with my observation of the circumstances as best as my training allows me to perceive - and hope that I come to the correct solution both legally speaking and in a moral/ethical manner that will allow me to sleep at night.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
synack2

Post by synack2 »

In that particular case, it would be iffy. I would not shoot unless he actually tried to stab someone. I would draw my gun and move for cover, but unless he is moving towards me or turns his attention to robbing me then I am going to try to get out of harms way. Part of protecting my family is not to end up in a expensive legal mess or in jail. I carry a gun because I want to live and be home each day for my family.

If it was a gun instead of a knife I think that changes things a bit, because distance doesn't matter as much. I would probably shoot.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

No good deed shall go unpunished.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
BobK

Post by BobK »

Six Shooter wrote:
As my post made clear, I live in Texas. My position on this matter is appropriate because it is explicitly protected under Texas statute, it is also clear that I wouldn't arrested and there is no way I could be found liable for shooting a robber.

Ohio law is, obviously, different. But even under Ohio law, use of deadly force in response to an armed robbery in progress is clearly justified.

Bravado? Although I am a firmly obstinate curmudgeon, let's both hope that the situation never arises to demonstrate whether I would or would not shoot.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?