Near miss, Subway store robbed at knifepoint

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Near miss, Subway store robbed at knifepoint

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The question I have is. Would one that could change the out come of the BG that is herding victims into a cooler act ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

In such a case, I'd clearly be immediately concerned with my own safety. If others benefit, so be it.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I guess when you get old you look at life differently....in this situation I don't look at the person as being a hero....and I don't believe that person would have that on his mind at the time he was to act......

It's more of a moral and compassion reason someone would act in this case.....someone that looks at the cashier with a maniac holding a knife on her and says, no way is this going to happen with out Me trying to help..

There are a lot of story's and vids on this site where a CHLH convenes on behalf of someone in trouble and we are glad and praise this CHLH for acting....see any difference with that person then yourself ?

I agree with that statement Carmen..But..I'm not really old..Just turned 38..I don't look at it as being a hero, I just look at it as being a compassionate human being..I've had to watch people die..And that's a hard thing..Harder for me to deal with than actually squeezing the trigger on someone that deserved it..I hate to see/ hear about innocent folks dying..And I look at it this way..Do as to others as you'd want done to you..And yes if one of my loved ones was in a situation like this..I would hope someone would have the compassion, and intestinal fortitude to act..
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Chuck wrote:So tell me, why are you HERE to begin with?
Because I can be ?
Chuck wrote:Obviously you're not here to learn
What do I need to learn ?

You don't know me.

Is this some sort of exclusive club ? That can't tolerate differing opinions or thoughts ?
Bama.45 wrote:How can you say you wouldn't be there to begin with?
I wouldn't be in a McDonalds. Certainly not to eat. Maybe use the restroom, so you have a point.

Chuck wrote:So I am curious. What is your purpose here?
Do I have to "qualify" with some sort of mission statement ?

Your questions, make me think you are intimidated, by anyone with an original thought or opinion.

Or, an informed one.

Cheap shot deleted. Keep it civil--m380g
BobK

Post by BobK »

Six Shooter wrote:Stressing out over my posts, could cause someone to have a heart attack.
That was a low-class, cheap shot. [personal attack deleted--m380g]
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Bama.45 wrote:How can you say you wouldn't be there to begin with?
Six Shooter wrote:I wouldn't be in a McDonalds. Certainly not to eat. Maybe use the restroom, so you have a point.

Erm..Who said anything about MacDonald's? :? ..I didn't state any specific restaurant..The thread was about SUBWAY...And who even says it has to be a restaurant..Could be a gas station, Bank, shopping mall...One never knows when crap will break out.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Did some tidying. Personal attacks are not tolerated. Keep it civil!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Mustang380gal wrote:Did some tidying. Personal attacks are not tolerated. Keep it civil!
If making an observational comment with a self-depreciating caveat is a cheap shot, I apologize.

I tend to question "Ivory Tower" status. It's not meant to hurt anyones feelings.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

He's jealous.... :roll:
revred

Post by revred »

That sounds a great deal like some of Kathy Jackson's reasoning on Corneredcat.com
I agree with her that there are certain things that should trigger an automatic reaction:

I won't be taken anywhere at gunpoint.
I won't be tied up.
I won't kneel.
They will not take a member of my family.

I'm paraphrasing what she wrote, she expands on each in her blog. Good reading.
Tweed Ring wrote:Gave this fact pattern some additional thought. One thing I shall not do is be ordered, driven, pushed, etc. into a restaurant cooler. Coolers are dangerous places for victims and potential victims. Coolers can muffle some sounds if the criminal decides to eliminate witnesses. This is not being heroic - this is being immensely practical.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Tweed Ring wrote:In such a case, I'd clearly be immediately concerned with my own safety. If others benefit, so be it.

:)
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

I'd like to thank everyone for their input on this thread. A criminal incident that occurs close to home impacts more than a distant news story. This has been a bit of a wake up call for me personally. My own thoughts are that I would not likely stop a robber from escaping with money from the till, but if innocent lives are in imminent danger I would be more inclined to act. In reference to the circumstances of this one specific event, the BG handed the girl a note and "showed" her a knife. This Subway dining room is "L" shaped with a door at the top and bottom of the L. Had I walked in at that time it's possible I might not have known they were being robbed. I believe the whole thing was over in under a minute and that the checkout counter was always between the BG and the victims. Not exactly a scene out of Natural Born Killers. I'll bet the robber exited out the back door at the top of the L.

I do tend to be watchful and situationally aware, but never expect anything to actually happen around me. I think fortunately they have good video, (I wish I could say it was my camera system, but no) and the BG will be identified and caught. If I hear of an arrest, I'll post it here.

On a humorous note, I've been tempted to create the "Brian Williams" version of this event where I take the BG down with one of the knife disarm techniques that we practice at Kajukenbo. Maybe I could finish him with an RPG, but decide against it when the Pope pardons him on the spot. :D
The British are going! The British are going!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

muxtech wrote:...A criminal incident that occurs close to home impacts more than a distant news story. This has been a bit of a wake up call for me personally.

I do tend to be watchful and situationally aware, but never expect anything to actually happen around me.
I know, right?

This was a dangerous misconception that I needed to have dispelled, too.
On a humorous note, I've been tempted to create the "Brian Williams" version of this event where I take the BG down with one of the knife disarm techniques that we practice at Kajukenbo. Maybe I could finish him with an RPG, but decide against it when the Pope pardons him on the spot. :D
:lol: :lol:

Er.....

I hereby suspend you for 6 days without access to the Internet? :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Six Shooter wrote:Your questions, make me think you are intimidated,

Not hardly
But what does your refusal to answer those questions mean?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Chuck wrote:What does your refusal to answer those questions mean?
Relax.

You may be the "alpha male" in your world, but not mine.

I'll run my railroad and you can run yours. :wink: