Hit and run, Columbus PD A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

Hit and run, Columbus PD A+

Post by techguy85 »

Not that this is out of the ordinary for CPD, but thought I would post it anyway.
My brother and I got in a hit and run accident tonight on our way to pick up an engagement ring for my girlfriend. Someone turned left on red and we T-boned them. They proceeded to take off. Two young college kids who were behind the other car came and waited with us while we waited for CPD. Had a nice chat with them, one of them was a licensee but didn’t have his gun with him. I gave him a little friendly grief over that.

When the officers arrived, I notified the first one who got out of the cruiser. He said thank you. The second officer who got out seemed annoyed that I interrupted him to notify him and told me to keep my hands away from it.

After dealing with the accident issues, the first officer and I spent a couple of minutes talking guns. When he asked me for my ID for his report, I asked him if it was okay for me to go ahead and reach into my pocket for them. He said sure, and then proceeded to say that he appreciated me going out of my way to make him feel comfortable. He then said that we (CHL people I assume) are the good guys.

All in all, positive law enforcement encounter; bad circumstances to have to have it in.
Bama.45

Re: Hit and run, Columbus PD A+

Post by Bama.45 »

Glad it was an overall good experience... Hate that it happened like that... I hope they catch the folks in the other car...Did anyone happen to get a description of the car or a tag number?
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

Congrats on the engagement.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

CPD is pretty consistent in their response. They are usually pretty easy-going about CHLs.

I have noted that our rallies downtown will draw fewer officers as a detail than other groups (or at least it seems that way). Every officer I have encountered at one of those has been a very positive encounter.

Sorry to hear about the accident though. Not what you needed in the middle of that important errand!

You know how to reach me if you need a ride to finish it up - glad to help buddy.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

We had a vague description but no tag. Traffic was too thick for us to catch up to them. There was quite a bit of damage to both cars and not just a little paint transfer but they weren't hopeful that they would be able to find them. Being Saturday night and all, it took them quite a while to get to us in the first place.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

That stinks, main thing is neither of you were hurt.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

techguy85 wrote:When the officers arrived, I notified the first one who got out of the cruiser. He said thank you. The second officer who got out seemed annoyed that I interrupted him to notify him and told me to keep my hands away from it.
Surely, the A+ rating refers to LEO#1 and NOT #2...who'd I'd give a "C" to at best.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

glocksmith wrote:
techguy85 wrote:When the officers arrived, I notified the first one who got out of the cruiser. He said thank you. The second officer who got out seemed annoyed that I interrupted him to notify him and told me to keep my hands away from it.
Surely, the A+ rating refers to LEO#1 and NOT #2...who'd I'd give a "C" to at best.
An annoyed #2 can also report back to his superior about being interrupted about notification. Superior can keep taking notes about irritated officers interrupted by law-abiding citizens who followed the law to the letter. Superior's superiors can talk to top brass about notification going the way of the Dodo bird.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

glocksmith wrote:
I suppose. He didn't say anything rude to me or anything so I'm not really offended. he probably had no clue that the law actually requires notification of each officer.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Javelin Man wrote:
An annoyed #2 can also report back to his superior about being interrupted about notification. Superior can keep taking notes about irritated officers interrupted by law-abiding citizens who followed the law to the letter. Superior's superiors can talk to top brass about notification going the way of the Dodo bird.
That's my thought also.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member