Mason PD A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

Re: Mason PD A+

Post by glocksmith »

docachna wrote: I don't know what you mean by "it qualifies as an inform", but it does not satisfy the requirements of the O.R.C.:
2923.126 (eff. until 3-23-15)

A....
If a licensee is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun at the time the officer approaches, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the licensee while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently is carrying a concealed handgun;
Yeah, I see what you are saying. But IMHO the very fact that I informed should make it obvious that I am armed...or else why would I have opened my mouth? I would like to think our LEO's are smart enough to reason that out. Remaining silent implies that I am not carrying...but then again maybe I am carrying and I forgot to mention it. Bottom line is the whole thing is utterly ridiculous. Who was the idiot who wrote up the duty to inform part anyway??
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

That is how common sense English would hear and process your notification that you have a CHL. You say you have a CHL and since you only have to notify if you are carrying then it is assumed that you are carrying. Since, if you weren't carrying you wouldn't have to notify.

But the law says you must notify the LEO that you have a CHL and that you are carrying. You must say x and y.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

If memory serves, it was the Ohio FOP and the Troopers Coalition (both labor organizations) among others who requested the odious language. It was needed, I believe, to get the Bill passed and have the then-governor (Taft) sign it. Originally, then-candidate Taft originally gave a somewhat nebulous commitment to the original Ohio concealed carry proposal when he announced his campaign for governor. Then he began the Kabuki dance, encouraging a number of poison pills be placed into the proposal language.

Making gains for gun rights in Ohio is a process of conciliation and negotiation. Again, if memory serves, the infamous Buckeye Tuck was also one of the early requirements.

Now that some of the language has been changed, many of us, this writer included, persist in twirling one of more firearms, as we pilot our vehicles. Difficult, but doable, with much required practice...
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Just curious TR, twirling on your finger or on the end of a baton?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The baton does not offer a trigger guard, and when attempting to twirl one, I kept taking out the windshield and the driver's side window. I clipped a couple of passengers, too. I can spin one, somewhat, in a car, but actively and competently twirling one whilst driving is far beyond my skill level.

Twirling my revolver is much easier and much more fun. Also,I get some attention, from other drivers, when the sun reflects off the revolver's barrel.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Good summary Tweed. While I haven't researched it, somehow I get the funny feeling that Ohio, out of all the CC states, is probably the only one with a notification requirement :?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

glocksmith wrote:Good summary Tweed. While I haven't researched it, somehow I get the funny feeling that Ohio, out of all the CC states, is probably the only one with a notification requirement :?
I know Alabama doesn't require it..And they don't tie your CHL to your license plates either, or used to not.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

glocksmith wrote:Good summary Tweed. While I haven't researched it, somehow I get the funny feeling that Ohio, out of all the CC states, is probably the only one with a notification requirement :?
It isn't entirely unusual - MI, NC, SC, AR, and LA require it (Among others, I just know about those since I've traveled there recently), and handgunlaw.us has a section in their state pages to indicate whether or not it is required.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!