"Why didn't you pull that gun?"

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AmendII71

Re: "Why didn't you pull that gun?"

Post by AmendII71 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Base Ball Bat..
Definitely an option. My argument is that it forces you to get up close and personal. Also, what if I hit the creep in the head and kill him?
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Aim lower...Much lower..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Aim lower...Much lower..
Okay. What if I run up with my bat, hit him in the mid section, then he pulls his illegally concealed weapon and offs me. :lol:
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

AmendII71 wrote:I carry my weapon to protect my family and myself personally from life threatening danger. NO OTHER REASON. The only exception that I keep in the back of my mind on this is the case where I could be in a gathering of people, and someone walks up and starts shooting up the place. Of course that can very reasonably be argued that my life would be in danger in that situation. Unless I was back home in Texas I wouldn't even consider pulling my weapon for the protection of property, ESPECIALLY NOT IN OHIO. Especially a store shoplifting situation. Not that I have a personal problem with someone who does, I just know today's legal society will be salivating in the bushes lusting for the chance to take someone down for using deadly force to stop a piece of crap from taking off with stolen property.

The interesting discussion to be had in this regard, is how do you handle someone not armed, inside your home, stealing your property. To me, this is the the real sticky one.

I believe one can use a reasonable amount of force, but less than deadly force, after calling 911, to protect one's property.
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Tweed Ring wrote:
AmendII71 wrote:I carry my weapon to protect my family and myself personally from life threatening danger. NO OTHER REASON. The only exception that I keep in the back of my mind on this is the case where I could be in a gathering of people, and someone walks up and starts shooting up the place. Of course that can very reasonably be argued that my life would be in danger in that situation. Unless I was back home in Texas I wouldn't even consider pulling my weapon for the protection of property, ESPECIALLY NOT IN OHIO. Especially a store shoplifting situation. Not that I have a personal problem with someone who does, I just know today's legal society will be salivating in the bushes lusting for the chance to take someone down for using deadly force to stop a piece of crap from taking off with stolen property.

The interesting discussion to be had in this regard, is how do you handle someone not armed, inside your home, stealing your property. To me, this is the the real sticky one.

I believe one can use a reasonable amount of force, but less than deadly force, after calling 911, to protect one's property.
What is your opinion of the "Less than Lethal" Rubber buckshot and Rubber Slugs that are out there. Maybe a good first round option in your home defense shotgun?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

1.) Call 911 and claim victim status.

2.) Provide verbal direction to subject/subjects.

3.) Provide verbal direction and use of open hand tactics.

4.) Provide verbal direction and use chemical agent, if available.

5.) Provide verbal direction and use of impact weapon to restrain, if available.

6.) Provide verbal direction and use of impact weapon applying non-lethal techniques.

I'm an old school baton instructor trainer, and I use this example - I come home from teaching a baton instructor class to find Joe Crackhead hauling my television from my house out to his hoopty.

My first move is to claim my victim status, via my 911 call.

Then Joe, by his level of resistance to my request to put my stuff back into my house, may or not place me in a state of Jeopardy. Joe, by word and by deed, decides the level of reasonable force I am going to use, and if I have to engage in escalation of trauma. I will talk for 20 minutes, rather than fight for 5 minutes, as the troops are on the way, and time plays for me.

Simply put, these are clearly judgement calls. If he's just boosting my television, I might let that go. Conversely, if he has found 63 solid gold bars, I might ask him to split the take with me.

If you are asking for a definitive answer then I must quote one of my attorney friends, "It depends..."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TR...the bat would save a lot of time... :) And conversation with the poor fellow..
Last edited by carmen fovozzo on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Okay. Well good discussion boys. Doesn't leave me with a very confident feeling. Sounds like I am better off saving for a lawyer instead of ammunition.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

carmen fovozzo wrote:TR...the bat would safe a lot of time... :) And conversation with the poor fellow..
In a confrontation, a baseball bat could be used as a restraining and/or impact weapon. Giving direction or orders to one's opponent, keeps one breathing during the confrontation.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Tweed Ring wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:TR...the bat would safe a lot of time... :) And conversation with the poor fellow..
In a confrontation, a baseball bat could be used as a restraining and/or impact weapon. Giving direction or orders to one's opponent, keeps one breathing during the confrontation.
I was always told if you are going to have a baseball bat in your possession be sure to have a ball also! That way your excuse is you were going to hit some balls!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Cruiser wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:
I was always told if you are going to have a baseball bat in your possession be sure to have a ball also! That way your excuse is you were going to hit some balls!

According to the Monadnock Escalation of Trauma body chart, that would be a yellow zone target...
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Cruiser wrote:I was always told if you are going to have a baseball bat in your possession be sure to have a ball also! That way your excuse is you were going to hit some balls!
I think that's what Carmen was alluding to when he gave the following advice for batting practice. :wink:

Aim lower...Much lower..
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Rural King can afford the loss of a plasma cutter much more than I can afford the use of an attorney from trying to protect their products. Much as I like Rural King (Their gun prices are sometimes even better than Vance's!) I am not going to get in the way of someone with a whole boatload of qualified immunity doing their job.

Tweed Ring wrote:Supposedly, somewhere in Delaware County is a so-called Dumpster King, but I tend not to recognize dumpster royalty...
I've heard there is also a Sofa King... 8)

Also in Springfield, Barney Gumble is the Plow King:
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Barney Gumble :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I couldn't run my business with out my dumpster...so if you try to steal that, well I'll have to decide at the time what force I will use..