"Why didn't you pull that gun?"

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jakor

"Why didn't you pull that gun?"

Post by Jakor »

I was walking out of Rural King today, having completed my purchase when a woman made a break for it with a plasma welder. Ran out to a waiting car and they were GONE. One of the employees who chased her out is my neighbor. She knows I carry. She and her husband and I shoot together. She asked me why I did t help by pulling my gun.

A. I wasn't in danger.
B. There was no safe shot to take.
C. Wasn't my problem. I mean, I hate thieves, but this was not my deal.

Am I wrong?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
Tweed Ring

Re: "Why didn't you pull that gun?"

Post by Tweed Ring »

No.
doublestack

Post by doublestack »

Hopefully your neighbor doesn't carry, if she thought it was appropriate to draw your gun on someone who is stealing.
Glock 19 - Crossbreed Supertuck
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

No you weren't wrong. I'd have gone with (A) and clarified:

I wasn't in danger and I didn't want to go to jail.

Ohio law does not allow the use (or threat of use) of deadly force in defense of property.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I sometimes wonder if supposedly grown people make such statements just because they didn't think them through, or they really think the law works like that?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

If they were running out with your neighbor, you could legally assist. A piece of property? No legal protection for you at all....you can't shoot someone for stealing property in Ohio.

And you never actually pull a gun unless you plan to use it (not meaning you have to, but you've decided you will if the course of events do not change). It ain't no magic totum. And many career criminals have already had a gun pointed at them. Probably your first time, not theirs. Never a place to be without resolve and the law on your side.

Rural King can afford a plasma welder. Can you afford a $5 million wrongful death civil lawsuit on top of criminal charges?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

See Zimmerman, George.

See action, politicized by various pols.

See action, weaponized, by news media.

See life, ruined.
andrewf

Post by andrewf »

You absolutely did the right thing by not pulling your weapon.

Hopefully, you did remember make/model and other identifiable information on the suspect and getaway car :)
-Andrew
rolltide92

Post by rolltide92 »

Jakor wrote:I was walking out of Rural King today, having completed my purchase when a woman made a break for it with a plasma welder. Ran out to a waiting car and they were GONE. One of the employees who chased her out is my neighbor. She knows I carry. She and her husband and I shoot together. She asked me why I did t help by pulling my gun.

A. I wasn't in danger.
B. There was no safe shot to take.
C. Wasn't my problem. I mean, I hate thieves, but this was not my deal.

Am I wrong?
I agree 100%. Over a damn plasma welder that was not even yours? Would have been one thing if they pulled out a gun and just started shooting.
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

Thanks, everyone. Make, model, and license # were recorded by employees. I went on with my day.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Not at all. I think your neighbor was looking for a scapegoat.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ole_grizzly »

Quite a few friends/colleagues that I know are getting their chl's, and I make it a point to go over that you can not protect property with deadly force. The hardest scenario for people to swallow is they come out of a restaurant or other place of business, they see somebody in their car either trying to steal it or steal something inside of it. If you draw your gun to get him out of the car, you have now instigated a deadly situation, not followed your duty to retreat, nor was your life in immediate danger.

It is about the hardest gut reaction to think rationally when you see some waste of human life taking your gear, but the law places more of a value on human life than your laptop. This seems to be one of the least obvious things to people new to carrying, and I'm surprised that there aren't more defending property incidents with chl holders.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
rolltide92

Post by rolltide92 »

Ole_grizzly wrote:Quite a few friends/colleagues that I know are getting their chl's, and I make it a point to go over that you can not protect property with deadly force. The hardest scenario for people to swallow is they come out of a restaurant or other place of business, they see somebody in their car either trying to steal it or steal something inside of it. If you draw your gun to get him out of the car, you have now instigated a deadly situation, not followed your duty to retreat, nor was your life in immediate danger.

It is about the hardest gut reaction to think rationally when you see some waste of human life taking your gear, but the law places more of a value on human life than your laptop. This seems to be one of the least obvious things to people new to carrying, and I'm surprised that there aren't more defending property incidents with chl holders.
Is that the case in Ohio? There are states that you can use deadly force to protect your property, but i tell people it is so not worth the risk.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rolltide92 wrote:
Ole_grizzly wrote:Quite a few friends/colleagues that I know are getting their chl's, and I make it a point to go over that you can not protect property with deadly force. The hardest scenario for people to swallow is they come out of a restaurant or other place of business, they see somebody in their car either trying to steal it or steal something inside of it. If you draw your gun to get him out of the car, you have now instigated a deadly situation, not followed your duty to retreat, nor was your life in immediate danger.

Is that the case in Ohio? There are states that you can use deadly force to protect your property, but i tell people it is so not worth the risk.
Yes, that is the case in Ohio. As I understand it other states like Texas allow you to use deadly force to protect your property, but not here.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

In Ohio, one can use force to protect one's property - one cannot use deadly force to protect one's property.