CKN eating Dog

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rDigital

CKN eating Dog

Post by rDigital »

We had one of our beloved hens killed by a german shepard on Monday. I only saw the dog leaving with my CKN. We are no longer free-ranging our hens until this issue is over. I saw the dog again today scratching at our coop door.

This is a picture of the dog in question. It has a collar, but no tags.
My wife was handling the situation and found the owners which came and got the dog. She told them that this will not happen again and that she will not allow her flock to be attacked or harassed.
I understand that ORC 955.28 is pretty straight forward about what happens to dogs that attack property, people and livestock. Is there anything that I should be aware of? I intend to protect my chickens from predators. I live in an unincorporated township.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CKN eating Dog

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

rDigital wrote:...snip...
I understand that ORC 955.28 is pretty straight forward about what happens to dogs that attack property, people and livestock. Is there anything that I should be aware of? I intend to protect my chickens from predators. I live in an unincorporated township.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28
Don't ask, don't tell. :|
Last edited by Jim-in-Toledo on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

You need a shotgun and a shovel. A call to your local dog warden may first be in order but be ready to take care of business.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BobK

Post by BobK »

If it was me, I would make sure the owners understood that I would shoot a dog that was going after my livestock. I'd hate for there to be someone saying after the fact, "I didn't know my dog would be shot." Maybe they will regard controlling their dog more seriously.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

I did leave a message with the dog warden describing the situation.
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

Have a talk with the owner of the dog personally, explain ALL the facts. The dog knows no better :(

If you do not talk to the neighbor and just shoot the dog your neighbor already had a conversation with your wife so it won't take long for him to come knocking at your door. Be prepared for a possible war on your hands...could get real ugly.
Nothing to see here...move along.
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

I would send the owner a certified letter with a copy of 955.28 inside. Is there a leash law in the area???
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

502ci wrote:Have a talk with the owner of the dog personally, explain ALL the facts. The dog knows no better :(

If you do not talk to the neighbor and just shoot the dog your neighbor already had a conversation with your wife so it won't take long for him to come knocking at your door. Be prepared for a possible war on your hands...could get real ugly.

My wife talked to them on the phone about this. They live quite a ways away i believe.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

BobK wrote:If it was me, I would make sure the owners understood that I would shoot a dog that was going after my livestock. I'd hate for there to be someone saying after the fact, "I didn't know my dog would be shot." Maybe they will regard controlling their dog more seriously.
And bill them for the hen. Their dog killed it, they should pay up.

Some people just think that their dogs can roam all over. Usually, they have more than one, it seems, because one "runs off" or doesn't come home at some point (that the dog was harassing other people's property and was eventually shot doesn't seem to enter their mind). I've never understood it, just as I've never understood getting a dog and putting him outside on a chain all the time with a dinky little dog house either.

The dog is just doing what dogs do naturally. You have a people problem, not a dog problem.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

PS That is not to say you shouldn't shoot the dog, if the problem is never resolved. But understand it is a people failure, not a dog failure.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Mr. Glock wrote:PS That is not to say you shouldn't shoot the dog, if the problem is never resolved. But understand it is a people failure, not a dog failure.
I agree, this is definitely a people problem.

How much can you really bill for a chicken? I just miss the bird and her giant eggs.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

rDigital wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:PS That is not to say you shouldn't shoot the dog, if the problem is never resolved. But understand it is a people failure, not a dog failure.

How much can you really bill for a chicken? I just miss the bird and her giant eggs.
Commercial large eggs are up to $2.29/dozen. Calculate the cost of the hen and feed and the amount of eggs over her lifetime.
Pain and suffering too. Your daughter loved that clucker.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

pirateguy191 wrote:
rDigital wrote:

Commercial large eggs are up to $2.29/dozen. Calculate the cost of the hen and feed and the amount of eggs over her lifetime.
Pain and suffering too. Your daughter loved that clucker.
I have serious familiarity with this type of situation...
Sorry, not happening. Animals are property and you can't do pain and suffering, and the commercial value is determined by it being a chicken, not the number of theoretical eggs it may have laid had it lived do many years. The owners are on the hook for one adult chicken. Make them pay, after sending a certified letter explaining the situation and demanding relief. While you are totally good droppingng a dog that is killing or troubling livestoock, it is still better to make an attempt to resolve it.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It's a handsome looking German Shepard-type..I'd go make friends, feed him and eventually you'll have a great dog of your own that will trade his current situation for a better situation.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Mr. Glock wrote:It's a handsome looking German Shepard-type..I'd go make friends, feed him and eventually you'll have a great dog of your own that will trade his current situation for a better situation.
I like this scenario best.