CKN eating Dog

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CKN eating Dog

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

At a family get-together at my grandmother's farm, a family member's dog got into a cow pen between barns.

You know those hardware cloth fences with a strand or two of barbed wire along the top? Ever wonder if that could really keep a cow penned in if they really wanted out?

Nope. It can't.

We had a dozen kids under the age of 12 at the farm that day. It's pure luck that they were all inside instead of playing near the barn and getting trampled by half a dozen cows.

I was fixing fence for 3 friggin' hours that day.

I really wanted to shoot that dog.
MyWifeSaidYes
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

hehehe Sooo true. Very little can restrain a determined cow. Not a lot that they can't get through if they are scared or motivated enough. Even when they are calm and tame, just the shere mass of them demands a healthy level of caution and respect. It is more their belief in the fence that keeps them restrained.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I don't know where you get your chickens, but I can go to Krogers and get a dozen large ones for $1.75! :lol:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Kinda like how our mistaken belief in gov keeps us restrained.
WY_Not wrote:hehehe Sooo true. Very little can restrain a determined cow. Not a lot that they can't get through if they are scared or motivated enough. Even when they are calm and tame, just the shere mass of them demands a healthy level of caution and respect. It is more their belief in the fence that keeps them restrained.
Javelin, I want to see one of those Kroger chickens lay even one egg or participate in a livestock show. :wink:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
run71324

Post by run71324 »

When I was a kid, there was a stray dog that showed up and started chewing on our goat. Dad shot it, found who the dog belonged to and told them what he did. To this day, some 25 years later, hasn't said who the dog belonged to.

I would probably put the three S's to use.

Shoot
Shovel
Shut-up
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

It seems to always be the same - a lack of personal responsibility.

"Why did you shoot my son? It's your fault he's dead!" --- "why did you not teach your son to not do things that would get him shot?"

"Why did you shoot my boyfriend? It's your fault he's dead!" --- "why did he try to break into my home and force me to shoot him?"

"Why did you shoot my dog? It's your fault he's dead!" --- "why did you allow your dog to get into a situation that would get him shot?"

Train your children. Train your animals. Behave according to the general interpretation of the social contract (things I learned in KG - keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's stuff alone, etc.) -- and things will generally go better for you.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

WayneB wrote:It seems to always be the same - a lack of personal responsibility.

Snip

Train your children. Train your animals. Behave according to the general interpretation of the social contract (things I learned in KG - keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's stuff alone, etc.) -- and things will generally go better for you.
That, unfortunetely, is what is dead....
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

WayneB wrote:It seems to always be the same - a lack of personal responsibility.

"Why did you shoot my son? It's your fault he's dead!" --- "why did you not teach your son to not do things that would get him shot?"

"Why did you shoot my boyfriend? It's your fault he's dead!" --- "why did he try to break into my home and force me to shoot him?"

"Why did you shoot my dog? It's your fault he's dead!" --- "why did you allow your dog to get into a situation that would get him shot?"

Common Sense turns out to be not so common, these days. It doesn't help that the concept also seems pretty foreign to the "authorities" and elected officials.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
vkev

Post by vkev »

My dog ate a chicken in Kentucky while we were camping. The property owner called the deputy sheriff and he said I had to pay $80.00 or he was going to put him down on the spot. I payed and apologized. I was in the wrong. Gorgeous dog, feed him make friends. Not the dogs fault..Sorry about the chicken.
Those who would sacrafice freedom for security, deserve neither and will ultimately lose both.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

vkev wrote:My dog ate a chicken in Kentucky while we were camping. The property owner called the deputy sheriff and he said I had to pay $80.00 or he was going to put him down on the spot. I payed and apologized. I was in the wrong. Gorgeous dog, feed him make friends. Not the dogs fault..Sorry about the chicken.
I would probably have done much the same. Domestic dogs and wolves are the same species. They are predators. It is only our training that prevents them from acting on their instincts. We bear responsibility.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

We take care of my daughters little "Jack-a- poo" (used to be called a mutt back in the day, but now someone gets a couple hundred bucks for one... anyway...).

When it has a squeaky toy in its teeth and it shakes it back and fourth, its "cute".

When the same dog does the exact same thing to a chipmunk in the back yard, people start fainting. I try to explain that the dog had only done in the back yard what it was just doing in the family room earlier with Mister Squeaky, only that this time it had a REAL chipmunk.

Dog gonna be dog. You want to own one it comes with responsibilities. Kind of like an other object we speak of frequently on this forum...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
dprater

Post by dprater »

From experience in Ohio if you own livestock u can shoot the dog as long as u can prove they are a tacking your live stock.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Nope. Nothing to prove and not limited to taking livestock. Go read ORC 955.28 ([urlhttp://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28]link[/url]). Basically, if it "chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills" any livestock or animal other than another dog or a cat then it is a target and owner has no recourse. Owner is also responsible for all damages and costs.

So, keep your pets under control and in your yard. Your dog in your yard is a pet. Your dog in my yard is a predator. I'm not being cruel. I'm not being mean. I love dogs, and other animals. I simply value the safety of my animals on my property more than I value your "beloved pet".
dprater wrote:From experience in Ohio if you own livestock u can shoot the dog as long as u can prove they are a tacking your live stock.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

My uncle used to own a place out in Clermont County - about 80 acres, half of which was wooded, but the non-wooded sections had ponds and streams and he only used about two acres for a large garden. He had chickens, ducks, turkeys, a couple of cows and a few horses plus one large German Shepherd. We used to go out there to ride the horses all the time when I was a kid. That dog wouldn't bother any of the other animals, but, if another dog came in to harass (or eat) them, that dog would make it wish it hadn't come around. My uncle put quite a few out of their misery with his Winchester 12 gauge side by side, a couple before the dog got to them. We had a cocker spaniel that we would take out there now and then and those two dogs would just play, but the cocker was scared of the chickens.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Those chickens can be rough customers. Picture the following...

Five chickens in the yard scratching for goodies. My wife and I puttering around in the flower beds and garden. Our two cats outside with us. Older one sprawled out in a sunny patch of the driveway. Younger one notices the hens and starts her stalk. She’s in a bed of irises; her butt just a wiggling as she crouches, debating on whether to charge one of the nearby hens. One of the other hens notices the cat in the irises. The hen starts closing in on the cat. Other hens notice and join her. Now picture the scene in Jurassic Park where the pack of velociraptors have one of the people surrounded and are closing in. The cat belatedly realizes she has gone from stalker to stalked. She is looking first one way then another as she tries to find an opening to make her escape. She no longer stalks the hens and is content to just watch them from a distance.