CKN eating Dog

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: CKN eating Dog

Post by Chuck »

rDigital wrote:
WhyNot wrote:dogs leave tracks, are there any other paw prints to suggest a 2cnd animal? did the owners fess up and taking care of their dog? go stomp down all prints, to distinguish from new prints. you may not see the dog again, but be able to establish it's still coming around. or worse, a 2cnd animal.

1-befriend the dog, food. no poison, legit. You showed at least 2 times animal was on property, is there a regular time like morning? put food out that time each day. shouldn't take more then 2-3 days to find out how wild the animal is. gain the animals confidence. the dog is only looking for chow. if it gets chow, add a 'friend'...
2-Catch the dog, it has a collar, add a chain.
3-Contact dog warden to pick up.
4- problem solved- no fallback.

postings of shooting? 1st choice, really? a few more hassles that yields no repercussions is a better path in a civilized society.
I haven't said a single word about shooting anything. I'm acknowledging the facts of the matter, the legalese and submitting what knowledge I have of the situation and asking for ideas. The last thing I want to do is have to deal with someone's pet in any way shape or form.

The owner admitted that their dog killed our ckn on Monday.

I just got a call from the dog warden as well. They are coming out on Monday. The dog owner will be cited and restitution of $25.00 is to be paid. Hopefully, the sting of dealing with the man is enough to keep this dog under wraps.
Wisdom,

Good job, rDigital,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
docachna

Post by docachna »

And kudos to the dog warden for actually doing his job. Amazing how many of them won't.....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

docachna wrote:And kudos to the dog warden for actually doing his job. Amazing how many of them won't.....
Sometimes, it depends on how you approach them. Given the original predicament and subsequent responses of rDigital during the course of this thread, he probably did it the right way.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

I raised game cocks since the age of 12...everything in the world loves to eat chicken, especially when they are tethered and cannot run away. Over the years we have killed everything imaginable that can kill a chicken..... the best bet is whatever you do, do it and shut up about it. we had a dog get into our chickens years ago.. this was also a big shepherd that would destroy a pen to get to a chicken. The owners were contacted and they flatly refused to contain their dog...I shot the dog ( I was a teenager) which led to a visit from a deputy sheriff. Sheriff asked if I made a habit of shooting every dog that came on the property.... I told him only ones that kill chickens. I showed him the dead chickens laying around ( he had killed a bunch that day) Deputy said " I RAISE SHEEP, AND IF A DOG GETS INTO MY SHEEP" he stopped and patted his sidearm... last I heard about it. You are well within your rights to kill the dog...but as I get older I think the best approach is a talk with the neighbor first just as you have done....I would have probably left the law completely out of it however but thats just me.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Best option is to deal with the warden and the dog owner. I looked up the price of chickens and full grown producing hens are $15-25. Since it was a wrong done, no discounts. If he wants discounts let him do a proper job of shopping for his own. Make dog owner aware of what the law is on dogs attacking livestock. It's not complicated, rather straightforward actually. I'd make him aware I prefer not to do that but...repeat offenses...shoot the dog. As far as angering the neighbor, he obviously isn't concerned with the relationship at that point.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

Another good tactic that has worked a few times around here is to shoot by the dog and blow dirt on them at the same time or close enough that it scares the heck out of the dog
We have plenty of open ground around here, we are out in the middle of nowhere and I am not sure of your area, as in can you shoot 1000 rounds and no one cares or will Gladys Kravitz be calling the law :)
OP I think you did a great job by calling the dog warden and hope everything turns out OK and Fido's owners straighten up so Fido lives
Come and get'em
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Dog Warden came by today. She took some pictures and talked to my ckns and saw their missing feathers. We showed her the picture of the dog near the coop and made a written statement. She knows the dog owners and it is a purebred shepard. The dog belongs to a well to do family that lives about a 1/4 mile away. She said she isn't going to cite them at this time, but is asking for $25 ckn restitution to be paid. Said she has started a file as there were other reports of the dog traipsing the neighborhood on it's own.

I hope this is the end.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Depends on the breed. No matter the breed, that number is WAAAYYY too low. Send them a bill for the cost of the bird and the cost to raise it to at least egg laying age. I'd go after lost production. Worst they can do is say no and fight it in court. By law they have no choice but to pay for the lost livestock, just a matter of finding a number.
BEAR! wrote:According to Zac Brown you can get another chicken for $1.79.

http://vimeo.com/65189285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To those who are joking about it only being a chicken that was killed... It is still livestock, it is still someone's food/income. Just because it isn't as expensive as a steer or a horse or even a sheep doesn't change the principle. The dog chased livestock, you are perfectly within your rights to drop the dog. The owners have NO legal recourse. Personally, I would not have returned the dog. It would have either been killed or turned over to animal control. I love dogs, cats, and other pets. However I have zero sympathy when they are chasing livestock.

Your dog in your yard is a pet. Your dog in my yard is a predator.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

No. Civilized people would keep their "beloved" pet under control. If they actually cared for it, they would not allow it to roam wild.
Javelin Man wrote:Well done, sir. :) That's how civilized people act and take responsibility for their pets. And civilized people let the law take its course...

...and have a backup plan. :wink:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

WHY-NOT:

No. It really is just a chicken. Under the law and in reality.

Just because you can shoot the dog, doesn't mean you need to. Everything is better under Rule of Law if common courtesy is extended to others....for they maybe are just be stupid. Or ignorant. Why not give them a chance to mend their ways?

The old bard, Bill Shakespeare, has something to say on this...see: pound of flesh: Merchant of Venice.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

No, it is a predator. If it is on my property chasing or attacking my livestock, it will be dealt with as such. And they did not mend their ways. That piddly $25 will not cover the replacement cost of the chicken much less any of the damages done by the dog.

If I see the dog on my property then yes, the first time, if I recognize the dog I will most likely try and return it. If it is attacking my livestock, not a chance in hell. I have seen the damage that so called pets can do when they go feral. They can be extremely vicious and they have little if any fear of people. That makes them worse than a wild critter.

You can spout platitudes and the Bard all you want, won't change my opinion. I grew up on a farm with cattle and have had to deal with peoples "beloved" pets. Protecting my livestock takes precedence over sparing someones feelings because they couldn't be bothered to properly control their pet.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

WY_Not wrote:No, it is a predator. If it is on my property chasing or attacking my livestock, it will be dealt with as such. And they did not mend their ways. That piddly $25 will not cover the replacement cost of the chicken much less any of the damages done by the dog.

If I see the dog on my property then yes, the first time, if I recognize the dog I will most likely try and return it. If it is attacking my livestock, not a chance in hell. I have seen the damage that so called pets can do when they go feral. They can be extremely vicious and they have little if any fear of people. That makes them worse than a wild critter.

You can spout platitudes and the Bard all you want, won't change my opinion. I grew up on a farm with cattle and have had to deal with peoples "beloved" pets. Protecting my livestock takes precedence over sparing someones feelings because they couldn't be bothered to properly control their pet.
This dog isn't feral, this dog is still living in a house and being fed by the owners and in my county and area no one gets $25 for a replacement chicken.
Maybe if this chicken was a kid's fair project I could see getting $25 but an every day layer, not so much
Come and get'em
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Funny thing....... I have a neighbor who opens his door..lets his dog out and goes back inside and watches TV. dog runs the neighborhood until the owner opens the door and starts screaming ( not exaggerated) for the dog. the dog will be 20 feet from him and the guy screams at the dog who totally ignores him. The dog comes into my yard and whenever I let my dog out to pee it is a 20 minute ordeal of him sniffing every blade of grass where this dog has been. PLUS this guys dog growls and barks at us ( including my grandkids) even when I am in my yard. I have POLITELY asked the owner to keep him tied up 3 times now, and even corralled him back home for the owner last night. There is a chain attached right to the guys front door but he refuses to use it. The dog tried to bite the 62 year old neighbor a few months back which led to a physical altercation with the owners 27 year old son and the 62 year old ( old guy beat his butt and ran him home where he called he cops even though he went to the mans house and started the fight) .. yesterday my daughter in law ( they live next door) opened her door to get wood for the stove and this dog is in her yard and ran her back in the house growling at her...the dog is a menace....here is the caveat. The owner is a couple years older than me and had a BAD stroke a few months back so no one wants to cause him hassle.. to me the stroke is irrelevant because he was a total jerk prior to it. ........ tonight I open my door to let my dog out and there is a completely different dog standing on my front porch.... I am getting REALLY tired of this stuff. My dog is NEVER out without me. he is obedience trained and listens well but even with that the dog right in his face when I opened the door was more than he could handle so he ran after it, ...... why can't people just be responsible?
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

WY_Not wrote:Depends on the breed. No matter the breed, that number is WAAAYYY too low. Send them a bill for the cost of the bird and the cost to raise it to at least egg laying age. I'd go after lost production. Worst they can do is say no and fight it in court. By law they have no choice but to pay for the lost livestock, just a matter of finding a number.
BEAR! wrote:According to Zac Brown you can get another chicken for $1.79.

http://vimeo.com/65189285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To those who are joking about it only being a chicken that was killed... It is still livestock, it is still someone's food/income. Just because it isn't as expensive as a steer or a horse or even a sheep doesn't change the principle. The dog chased livestock, you are perfectly within your rights to drop the dog. The owners have NO legal recourse. Personally, I would not have returned the dog. It would have either been killed or turned over to animal control. I love dogs, cats, and other pets. However I have zero sympathy when they are chasing livestock.

Your dog in your yard is a pet. Your dog in my yard is a predator.

Who's joking? Thats a great song! :P :mrgreen:

Heck I love chickens... fried, grilled, pot pies and nuggetized! :P
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

GatorNavy wrote:This dog isn't feral, this dog is still living in a house and being fed by the owners and in my county and area no one gets $25 for a replacement chicken. Maybe if this chicken was a kid's fair project I could see getting $25 but an every day layer, not so much.
Feral or not is irrelevent. If it is attacking livestock it needs to be put down. If someone wishes to provide their livestock as chewtoys for someone else's dog, that is on them. Personally, I'd be doing my best to ensure the dog can not get to my livestock. If that fails however, I have NO issue putting the predator down. If anyone thinks $25 will cover the replacement cost of even an common layer, they need to recheck their math. As for a chicken not costing more than $25, might want to check some of the fancy/exotic/rare breeds. They can easily get into triple digit. Just like with dogs, cattle, horses, etc there are mutts and there are papered animals with a quality pedigree. So, yeah it would be very easy to get over $25 in replacement costs and damages.

In the end, legally, any dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. ie it is a target and the owner has ZERO legal recourse.

Like I said, IF I know the dog I'll try to return it to the owner... once. If it returns or gets agressive, it will be put down. And not the least bit of guilt will I feel. If owner cared about the dog in the least, they would ensure that it is kept in their yard or on a leash when off-property. If the owner cared in the least about relations with his neighbors, he'd make the effort to control his dog. If he isn't worried about his dog or his relations with his neighbors, not really seeing a reason to worry about such when his dog is on my property killing my chicken.