Did i screw this up?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Did i screw this up?

Post by troy bilt »

This is a E-Mail I sent out after my father was pulled over in his driveway and was beat up by a young man about not informing of his CHL. For some reason that I don't understand he was not armed.

I can't spell a lick and my book learning is no good but I gave it a try.

ATT: Chief Helen Prosowski

My father was pulled over between 9:30 and 10:00 PM on Monday December the 15th for a headlamp violation. My father has a valid Ohio CHL but did not have a handgun in his possession at the time. My father did not meet the duty to inform of his CHL as outlined in ORC 2923.126 (A), but was told that he was in violation of a the law and could have been charged with a crime.

Please inform your staff that according to ORC there is no lawful need for a CHL holder to inform an officer of there CHL unless they are in posseshion of a handgun.

I would appreciate a phone call after you have looked into this.

Troy Nemitz

***-***-

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(A) If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped, or knowingly fail to keep the licensee's hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee's hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (E) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves. Additionally, if a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.04 of the Revised Code and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun.

If a licensee is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun at the time the officer approaches, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the licensee while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently is carrying a concealed handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the licensee is stopped or knowingly fail to keep the licensee's hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee's hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Ray

Re: Did i screw this up?

Post by Ray »

Let us know when you get that phone call. I just wouldn't hold my breath until then.

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
JMO

Post by JMO »

*their* CHL
*possession
BobK

Post by BobK »

Do you literally mean "beat up" as in physically assaulted or do you mean verbally chastized?

Also, why can't your father take care of his own concerns with the police? Why are you intervening?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
mreising

Post by mreising »

BobK wrote:Do you literally mean "beat up" as in physically assaulted or do you mean verbally chastized?

Also, why can't your father take care of his own concerns with the police? Why are you intervening?
His father may think the officer was correct and doesn't want to to push the point.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

I think you did well getting your point across the letter. Short, sweet, and to the point.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

BobK wrote:Do you literally mean "beat up" as in physically assaulted or do you mean verbally chastized?

Yes I literally meant beat up. I did not feel the need to include it into the Email I sent off to the chef. My main concern after my father was brutally assaulted by the police for having a headlight out was to address the CHL problem. :roll:

I was under the assumption that improperly trained police officers where a concern to us all. I was not aware that " intervening" was looked down upon by members of OFCC. :roll:
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Well. ^^^ way to be a butt about it.

People were asking legitimate questions. Honestly, BobK probably was just probing to better understand the situation and determine if anything should have been added to the letter. Good luck in your endeavors. Hope your not as rude to everyone that tries to help you.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

Ok I received a call this morning from the chef. After a good conversation with her she told me that she would make sure all of her staff knew that there was no law broken, and how to handle the sucuation in the future.
Michael

Post by Michael »

troy bilt wrote:Yes I literally meant beat up.
An LEO beat up your father?

My BS detector is going off. Or perhaps there's much more to the story. Can you provide more deails?
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

Michael wrote:

My BS detector is going off. Or perhaps there's much more to the story. Can you provide more deails?
I'll jump in after reading the thread a few times...I am understanding that he wasn't really beat up and he was being sarcastic to Bob. Yes, I was also confused when I first read it.
Nothing to see here...move along.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Michael wrote:

It was a figure of speech, literally!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

502ci wrote:
Michael wrote:

I'll jump in after reading the thread a few times...I am understanding that he wasn't really beat up and he was being sarcastic to Bob. Yes, I was also confused when I first read it.
Man... I was confused for a while.

To the OP on the original topic: I like your letter. I'm glad you got a response. The real question will be if there is any true follow-up from the chief. One thing you may want to do is a records request in a couple weeks seeking proof of such a communication from the brass to the rank-and-file.

To the OP on the secondarily developed topic on forum etiquette: There are a lot of people here with a lot of wisdom. Some of those people have years of activism behind them. Some have years of public relations experience behind them. And some have years of practicing law behind them. All of these people get concerned when they read the phrase, "...my father was pulled over in his driveway and was beat up by a young man about not informing of his CHL..." I personally took that to mean a verbal thrashing but without an explicit statement to that effect, that was purely an assumption on my part. Had your father actually (as opposed to sarcastically) been beaten by the police over this matter, I suspect you would have received sound advice on how to proceed. In fact, I suspect you would have received a great amount of sound advice and feedback on everything in this thread if the sarcasm could have been kept away from the keyboard.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

A...This was a month ago...B....I have no clue... :|
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens