Pulled my gun for the first time yesterday afternoon

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

Re: Pulled my gun for the first time yesterday afternoon

Post by pirateguy191 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
MacDonald wrote:...

So, after I got my CHL I started carrying a bat to the park.

I did not know a CHL was required to carry a bat.

:P
For a gat.....not a bat.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MacDonald wrote:To Werz: Again, the park I am referring to IS NOT a dog park. The dog did not appear to be approaching for a sniff, as it was barking furiously. There IS a leash law in the city I am in. Why should I have to wait for the dog to sniff me, bite me, or whatever else if the dog owner wants to disregard the law and shirk their responsibility to control their animal?
If this WAS a dog park, I would not have reacted the way I did. Dog parks are meant for off-leash, public parks are not.
I understood that. I just wanted to make my point clear to some folks who may be a bit quick on the trigger, as well as other folks who don't understand canine behavior. I have seen too many poorly socialized dogs (and their poorly informed owners) react frantically when all the other dogs rush to the gate of the dog park to check out the newcomer. They simply don't understand that is how the pack works.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
MacDonald wrote:...

So, after I got my CHL I started carrying a bat to the park.

I did not know a CHL was required to carry a bat.

:P

Yes, that is a little known codicil to ORC 9.68. It says, "When a CHL holder feels self conscious carrying, openly or concealed, because of a children's playground located in a park, or because the CHL holder does not really want to hurt dogs, that CHL holder should carry a bat to beat the owner of offending canines" ... or sumthin like that. :wink:

Honestly, when I first obtained my CHL, I felt guilty for carrying it in the park. Yes, there is a playground, and yes, I did not want to have the means of hurting canines (but the irresponsible owners are another story). When I was approached by a large Pit, I realized that a bat would be no use whatsoever.

I eventually grew comfortable with CCW, and no longer thought that I was wearing a scarlet letter on my forehead. But, I was young, then...only 52.

I have lived most of my life in CA and NY, so I always thought CCW was something cops and bad guys did. I am neither.
Last edited by MacDonald on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Thank you EVERYONE for your feedback! I guess I feel...strange...for drawing. My gun is something that stays in the holster on my hip or under my left arm. I am glad I did not have to shoot, but I remember I was alarmingly close to doing so. I wonder how I would feel if I had. Not good, I am certain.

Dogs are innocent. Bad guys deserve what they get: They reap what they sow. Inconsiderate dog owners are jerks, and while not criminal, they're a pain in the butt at times.
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

I would personally find a nicer location to walk my dog. For that same reasons I don't hang out a shady bars or parts of town. Just not worth it.

I would also stop asking the police for legal advice. If a LEO tells you something that is incorrect you are still on the hook for your actions.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it...
Lighten up, Carmen...the dog is probably just aggravated that you're in the left lane of the dog run.

//Sorry...couldn't help myself. :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

OK. I'll just shoot it in the leg... :) The left leg..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Double3

Post by Double3 »

Werz wrote:
Brian D. wrote:And of course remind them that there is a perfectly appropriate park nearby that is designed specifically for letting the dogs go off-leash.
I always read these posts closely to determine if it's an off-leash "dog park." Some people are ignorant of canine behavior, and because their dogs are poorly socialized, they think that any large dog approaching their little muffin for a sniff is "attacking" it. To quote Cesar Milan, "[A] weak, timid dog *** can become a fight-magnet. *** If your dog has poor social skills, is overly fearful or is dog aggressive, *** find a more controlled way to introduce her to the company of other dogs[.]"

(Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/basics/ce ... -park-tips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

If someone shoots one of my dogs at an off-leash "dog park" because they want to sniff the new dog, there will be hell to pay.
Yep.

ALOT of over reaction around here to dogs.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

carmen fovozzo wrote:OK. I'll just shoot it in the leg... :) The left leg..
That explains the abundance of three-legged Chihuahuas and Dachshunds in your neighborhood. :)
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

All depends on the dog, the owner, and the situation. Bunch of dogs running around sniffing each other is one thing. I grew up on a farm and I have seen the damage caused by and the viciousness of strays running wild in a pack. They have no fear of people and view you as just another prey to be run down. I've also seen the damage that so-called beloved pets can do when they get loose in a pasture with livestock. Depending on the livestock, the damages can easily get into the thousands all because someone's pet wants to play. If people actually care about their pets they need to take the responsibility and keep them under control.
Double3 wrote:ALOT of over reaction around here to dogs.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

MacDonald wrote:I have two Yorkshire Terriers which, although brave, would not fare well in a dog fight and can offer little protection other than diversion.
If they understand that is their job, I'd say you're good to go. :)
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

pirateguy191 wrote:Retractable leashes are bad. Glad everything worked out for you.

I would also agree. I believe they may not meet the requirements of most leash laws. This is a copy from Lebanon's code

" (b) While the dog is off the premises of the owner, keeper, or harborer, keep that dog on a chain-link leash or tether that is not more than six feet in length and additionally do at least one of the following: keep the dog in a locked pen that has a top, locked fenced yard, or other locked enclosure that has a top; have the leash or tether controlled by a person who is of suitable age and discretion or securely attach, tie, or affix the leash or tether to the ground or a stationary object or fixture so that the dog is adequately restrained and station a person in close enough proximity to that dog so as to prevent it from causing injury to any person; or muzzle that dog."

Note the "six feet in length". MacDonald, before you cry foul about other dog owners, be sure you are within the law.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Yes, concreteguy, that was the leash law to which I was referring. But, THAT IS IN REFERENCE TO A DANGEROUS DOG.

Statute 505.01 reads as follows:

(B) Dogs running at large; dangerous dogs; debarked or surgically silenced dangerous dogs.
(1) As used in this division (B), DANGEROUS DOG has the same meaning as in R.C. § 955.11.

(4) Except when a dangerous dog is lawfully engaged in hunting or training for the purpose of hunting and is accompanied by the owner, keeper, harborer, or handler of the dog, no owner, keeper, or harborer of a dangerous dog shall fail to do either of the following:

(b) While the dog is off the premises of the owner, keeper, or harborer, keep that dog on a chain-link leash or tether that is not more than six feet in length and additionally do at least one of the following: keep the dog in a locked pen that has a top, locked fenced yard, or other locked enclosure that has a top; have the leash or tether controlled by a person who is of suitable age and discretion or securely attach, tie, or affix the leash or tether to the ground or a stationary object or fixture so that the dog is adequately restrained and station a person in close enough proximity to that dog so as to prevent it from causing injury to any person; or muzzle that dog.

And, concreteguy, your point is what?
Do you think Yorkshire Terriers constitute "dangerous dogs?" At best, they create a diversion when I am being charged/attacked by a dangerous dog.

As Carmen said so well, "For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it..."
NRA Lifetime Member
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

carmen fovozzo wrote:For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it...

Carmen, from this and previous posts it seems you would love to shoot a dog.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/