Pulled my gun for the first time yesterday afternoon

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: Pulled my gun for the first time yesterday afternoon

Post by BobK »

BEAR! wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it...
Carmen, from this and previous posts it seems you would love to shoot a dog.
That is an unfair characterization and not what he said at all.

He gave fair warning that if attacked he will defend himself.

By your logic, I'd love to shoot a young black man if I warn him, "If you try to rob me or rape my wife, I will shoot you."

Your characterization is obviously flawed.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Bear. My son recently lost his Lab, her name was Baily...She was the kindest dog I ever new...Son had a party going on outside for the kids....kids were not allowed in the house.
....One kid broke the rules and came in the house while Baily was sleeping, she was startled by the kid and she bit him on the face....lawsuit.

I was attacked buy 5 dogs in Cleveland back in the 70's, they never got to me but that always remains in my mind..
.....Anyone that knows me will tell you that I love animals, Dogs included....

We consider dogs part of the family and that is good...they are loving animals......but never for get, they are animals..

Family members turn on their families and kill them all the time....so will dogs.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Bear. My son recently lost his Lab, her name was Baily...She was the kindest dog I ever new...Son had a party going on outside for the kids....kids were not allowed in the house.
....One kid broke the rules and came in the house while Baily was sleeping, she was startled by the kid and she bit him on the face....lawsuit.

I was attacked buy 5 dogs in Cleveland back in the 70's, they never got to me but that always remains in my mind..
.....Anyone that knows me will tell you that I love animals, Dogs included....

We consider dogs part of the family and that is good...they are loving animals......but never for get, they are animals..

Family members turn on their families and kill them all the time....so will dogs.
So how are your pit bulls doing carmen. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
dsk
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by dsk »

I didn't read all 3 pages, so if this is a repeat, sorry. I think if you need to operate the handgun you'd be well advised to drop the leashes. Trying to handle 2 leashes, tangled no less, and two dogs, I'd say you have a good chance of being charged with something if you were to have shot and hit the human. It strikes me as at least negligent if not reckless to deploy the handgun without freeing yourself from those entanglements.
Pay your dues.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

dsk wrote:I didn't read all 3 pages, so if this is a repeat, sorry. I think if you need to operate the handgun you'd be well advised to drop the leashes. Trying to handle 2 leashes, tangled no less, and two dogs, I'd say you have a good chance of being charged with something if you were to have shot and hit the human. It strikes me as at least negligent if not reckless to deploy the handgun without freeing yourself from those entanglements.
Bah ... should be no big deal at close range if you're this guy from Texas.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

MacDonald wrote:Yes, concreteguy, that was the leash law to which I was referring. But, THAT IS IN REFERENCE TO A DANGEROUS DOG.

Statute 505.01 reads as follows:

(B) Dogs running at large; dangerous dogs; debarked or surgically silenced dangerous dogs.
(1) As used in this division (B), DANGEROUS DOG has the same meaning as in R.C. § 955.11.

(4) Except when a dangerous dog is lawfully engaged in hunting or training for the purpose of hunting and is accompanied by the owner, keeper, harborer, or handler of the dog, no owner, keeper, or harborer of a dangerous dog shall fail to do either of the following:

(b) While the dog is off the premises of the owner, keeper, or harborer, keep that dog on a chain-link leash or tether that is not more than six feet in length and additionally do at least one of the following: keep the dog in a locked pen that has a top, locked fenced yard, or other locked enclosure that has a top; have the leash or tether controlled by a person who is of suitable age and discretion or securely attach, tie, or affix the leash or tether to the ground or a stationary object or fixture so that the dog is adequately restrained and station a person in close enough proximity to that dog so as to prevent it from causing injury to any person; or muzzle that dog.

And, concreteguy, your point is what?
Do you think Yorkshire Terriers constitute "dangerous dogs?" At best, they create a diversion when I am being charged/attacked by a dangerous dog.

As Carmen said so well, "For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it..."

Sorry to get back so late. I may have missed the part of "dangerous". That being said, if the only dogs required to have a 6' leash are dangerous ones, then one could assume the rest don't need a leash at all?
sethmcdonald
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by sethmcdonald »

For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it...
I'm not even going to wait until it attacks me. If it's off the leash (in violation of the law here) and shows a hint of aggression toward my family or I...

Keep your pet under control and we won't have any problems.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

concreteguy wrote:

Sorry to get back so late. I may have missed the part of "dangerous". That being said, if the only dogs required to have a 6' leash are dangerous ones, then one could assume the rest don't need a leash at all?
No worries! I do not check this site every day, either. C'est la vie. :)

That appears to be the case. What is not specifically illegal is legal, but IANAL. Even if that IS the case, it is not prudent. I believe it is pet owners responsibility to control their animal in public, both for the sake of those nearby as well as for the animal's safety. I have had four large breed dogs in the past, but never one that was so well trained that I would trust it off leash when I took it off my property.

In my situation the dog approached within 6-feet of me, and the owner was 30-feet or more away, calling its name. It circled behind me, and the only thing that I hit the dog with was the beam of the CT laser on my G26 (my vision is not as acute as it was when I was 25, so I use assistive devices when available).
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Well MacDonald this one was hairy to say the least.......hope nobody said that yet.............Anyway, let me say right off very respectfully I am biased on the whole pets in public thing. I am not an animal hater like my mother in law would claim as I always had dogs as a kid and loved them allot. I just have this thing about the last 15 years or so it seems the whole pet thing has gone completely NUTS. If it was totally up to me I would be all for your right to be able to shoot any dog that approaches you in a vicious manner if not restrained by an owner, at any time, but of course that is just la la land stuff. In reality I would say just for your own legal protection don't pull that weapon in cases like this. Like someone said earlier, if the dog attacks your dogs, call the police, if he attacks you, and when I say attacks I mean "bites" you all bets are off. But even then, in a public place like that, with mass chaotic scenarios dogs running around can create,you are running the risk of shooting some person by mistake, and then your in a world of hurt for the safety of a dog or dogs. Be careful. :)
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
sethmcdonald
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by sethmcdonald »

955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.
(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

^^^ Beat me to it . :)
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'm not waiting for the dog to bite me before I shoot..that's crazy...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Don't have to. If it is approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack then it is a target.
carmen fovozzo wrote:I'm not waiting for the dog to bite me before I shoot..that's crazy...
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Generally, I think a handgun is a poor choice of tools for dealing with aggressive dogs. They're tiny targets and fast-moving. Pepper spray works just fine, and you can use it far more liberally than a handgun without worrying about any kind of serious politics or police aftermath. Our dog is old now, but he used to love to go to the dog park. I would always bring a handgun to protect me from aggressive people, and some pepper spray to protect my little buddy from aggressive dogs.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

SeanC wrote:Generally, I think a handgun is a poor choice of tools for dealing with aggressive dogs. They're tiny targets and fast-moving. Pepper spray works just fine, and you can use it far more liberally than a handgun without worrying about any kind of serious politics or police aftermath. Our dog is old now, but he used to love to go to the dog park. I would always bring a handgun to protect me from aggressive people, and some pepper spray to protect my little buddy from aggressive dogs.
A good point. I carry a handgun at the dog park for protection from aggressive humans, not aggressive dogs, particularly because our local dog park is not in the finest neighborhood. It is also important to note that most aggressive dogs, particularly those who are human-aggressive, tend to be that way as a result of their owners' actions.

Nevertheless, I should probably get some pepper spray for the dog park. Good suggestion.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.