Pulled my gun for the first time yesterday afternoon

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Pulled my gun for the first time yesterday afternoon

Post by djmac1964 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:For all you dog lovers out there....If your dog is not on a leash and it attacks me, I'm shooting it...
I sure hope Goofy never tries to hug you at Disneyland! :mrgreen:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Don, I'll let you know next year when I visit there.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

sethmcdonald wrote:955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.
(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.

I'm wondering if this is a defense to a charge under a city ordnance of discharging a firearm in city limits...
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

FormerNavy wrote:
sethmcdonald wrote:955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.
(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.

I'm wondering if this is a defense to a charge under a city ordnance of discharging a firearm in city limits...
Self defense is an affirmative defense to such a charge.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
mannymacfly

Post by mannymacfly »

I have issues locally here in Columbus area with people thinking that our community park is a place for their dogs to run loose. So when i'm out walking my dog on a leash like the law says I have people constantly yelling sorry. I had a lady with an overpowering pittbull looking thing that was standing up taller than its tiny owner trying to get to my dog barking furiously, I pulled out my Ka-Bar and said if you let go ill solve that issue for good. She now won't walk her dog in the park anymore. Get a ka-bar and keep it sharp
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

mannymacfly wrote:I have issues locally here in Columbus area with people thinking that our community park is a place for their dogs to run loose. So when i'm out walking my dog on a leash like the law says I have people constantly yelling sorry. I had a lady with an overpowering pittbull looking thing that was standing up taller than its tiny owner trying to get to my dog barking furiously, I pulled out my Ka-Bar and said if you let go ill solve that issue for good. She now won't walk her dog in the park anymore. Get a ka-bar and keep it sharp
Action such as that can get you in hot water.

(A) You can't legally use the knife on a dog if it is going after your dog. If it is going after you, different story, but the other way around will likely get you charged, especially if there are disinterested witnesses.

(B) Pulling a knife without an immediate threat could be construed in some circles to be menacing. Is the reason the woman won't walk her dog there you or the problems her dog causes? if it's you, she may have taken your action to be a threat. Since she didn't call the cops on you, you probably have no worries about that incident, but what about the next one.

(C) If the knife is not in plain view, action such as that can get you hit with a concealed weapons charge. You now have to explain to the satisfaction of a judge or jury why you suddenly pulled a tool to make a verbal threat against a dog. The conclusion may well be that you were carrying it as a weapon. Also, check local knife laws in this regard.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

mannymacfly wrote:I have issues locally here in Columbus area with people thinking that our community park is a place for their dogs to run loose. So when i'm out walking my dog on a leash like the law says I have people constantly yelling sorry. I had a lady with an overpowering pittbull looking thing that was standing up taller than its tiny owner trying to get to my dog barking furiously, I pulled out my Ka-Bar and said if you let go ill solve that issue for good. She now won't walk her dog in the park anymore. Get a ka-bar and keep it sharp
Next time you pull a knife on someone, expect to get shot. You were being a bully and presenting a deadly threat with ability, means, opportunity and intent to a perfect stranger.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

rDigital wrote:
Next time you pull a knife on someone, expect to get shot. You were being a bully and presenting a deadly threat with ability, means, opportunity and intent to a perfect stranger.
In total agreement.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Get a K-Bar and get dead...I don't ever carry a knife ( there too pointy ) If I did it would be along with my gun..if I had to use one or produce one it sure and heck would not be the knife...

Not sure what the law would consider worse, a knife or gun, to me it seems the same..
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

schmieg wrote:
Action such as that can get you in hot water.

(A) You can't legally use the knife on a dog if it is going after your dog. If it is going after you, different story, but the other way around will likely get you charged, especially if there are disinterested witnesses.

(B) Pulling a knife without an immediate threat could be construed in some circles to be menacing. Is the reason the woman won't walk her dog there you or the problems her dog causes? if it's you, she may have taken your action to be a threat. Since she didn't call the cops on you, you probably have no worries about that incident, but what about the next one.

(C) If the knife is not in plain view, action such as that can get you hit with a concealed weapons charge. You now have to explain to the satisfaction of a judge or jury why you suddenly pulled a tool to make a verbal threat against a dog. The conclusion may well be that you were carrying it as a weapon. Also, check local knife laws in this regard.
Not to mention that prior threats of lethal violence are not very helpful if you ever have a valid self-defense claim.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Any man that thinks his Dog is worth the life of another human isn't playing with a full deck...IMO

I agree with what you said Carmen, but as Cromangun said it depends on the human too..Like he said some human life isn't worth the oxygen it uses.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Bama..True. But not our call who's human life is worth it..
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

I love dogs. Grew up with them as part of the family and continue that tradition to this very day. I have two dogs and when these are gone I will get more.

Having said that, IF YOU SHOOT MY DOG BECAUSE IT ACTS AGGRESSIVELY TOWARD YOU:

I will apologize to you for the fact that that you had to shoot my dog. I will feel regret that I didn't control my property better. My lack of control of my property, as much as that property means to me personally, put YOU in the uncomfortable position of having to defend yourself from one of my animals. I will likely be embarrassed with the fact that I didn't do a better job of keeping them under control, and I hope that you will pardon my mistake.

I will miss my dog, I will be upset with myself for not having been a better owner, but I absolutely WILL NOT BLAME YOU, nor will I impute bad motives to your actions. I will certainly not question the fact that you should have been a "dog whisperer" and that you should somehow be able to read my animals mind and know whether or not it is *really* going to bite you, or if he's just saying "howdy" in his loving, teeth-baring, "I'm gonna lick his face off when I get to him!" way.

I will presume that YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT MY ANIMAL WILL OR WILL NOT DO TO YOU when it is acting outside of it's normal environmental stimuli and/or thinking that you may be a threat to me, his careless owner.

That is all...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Reality....Honesty....Common sense....you got it man..
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JoeM wrote:I love dogs. Grew up with them as part of the family and continue that tradition to this very day. I have two dogs and when these are gone I will get more.

Having said that, IF YOU SHOOT MY DOG BECAUSE IT ACTS AGGRESSIVELY TOWARD YOU:

I will apologize to you for the fact that that you had to shoot my dog. I will feel regret that I didn't control my property better. My lack of control of my property, as much as that property means to me personally, put YOU in the uncomfortable position of having to defend yourself from one of my animals. I will likely be embarrassed with the fact that I didn't do a better job of keeping them under control, and I hope that you will pardon my mistake.

I will miss my dog, I will be upset with myself for not having been a better owner, but I absolutely WILL NOT BLAME YOU, nor will I impute bad motives to your actions. I will certainly not question the fact that you should have been a "dog whisperer" and that you should somehow be able to read my animals mind and know whether or not it is *really* going to bite you, or if he's just saying "howdy" in his loving, teeth-baring, "I'm gonna lick his face off when I get to him!" way.

I will presume that YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT MY ANIMAL WILL OR WILL NOT DO TO YOU when it is acting outside of it's normal environmental stimuli and/or thinking that you may be a threat to me, his careless owner.

That is all...

^ this is a good post..And one I can agree with 100%..I hope I would always have control of my animal..But accidents do happens..And while yes I would be sad over my dog being shot..I wouldn't blame you....That being said..When it comes to cops or anyone coming onto my property, where my dogs have the right to be..Well shooting them then is a different story altogether..And that is really what ticks me off..Is hearing stories of Cops going into folks yards and killing their pets.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson