Montgomery PD A++

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

acestalder

Montgomery PD A++

Post by acestalder »

Ill keep this brief.
My wife and I were traveling down Montgomery Rd. just outside of the village towards 275 when I noticed a patrol car going the opposite direction. As my eyes turn back to my lane, I happened to noticed the 35MPH speed limit sign. Then I glance down and see I am doing 49. I hit the brakes but he is now pulling a U-turn and turns on the lights. I pull into a parking lot, shut the car off, front window down and both hands on the steering wheel.
He approaches my window...
Officer: Good afternoon, do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Yes sir, and I need to let you know that I am carrying.
Officer: CCW?
Me: Yes
Officer : OK. Thank you for letting me know.
That was everything that was said bout me carrying. I handed him my drivers license and my ccw. He came back a few minutes later and gave me a verbal warning to slow down and have a good day.

This was my first stop while armed and it really was a non-issue with this officer. Definitely an A+.
docachna

Re: Montgomery PD A++

Post by docachna »

You probably already know this, but the statute requires you to notify them BOTH that 1) you have a license to carry, AND 2) that you are carrying. Not just the latter.

Your guy was reasonable. An "Officer Richard" could technically pop you for failure to notify, and under the statute, the charge might have a reasonable chance of sticking.

Tough enough with the stupid notification statute without handing it to them on a silver platter.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
acestalder

Post by acestalder »

Good to know.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

When he asked, "CCW"?

I'd have replied, "No thank you".
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY