Did I keep something from escalating?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AmendII71

Re: Did I keep something from escalating?

Post by AmendII71 »

I like the camera idea by the wife. Overall good thinking. However, I have to agree with TWEED. I tend to stay out of domestic disputes. IF the male ups his physical approach with the female and child starts getting some of the abuse, then by all means take immediate action.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
Rocky
*** Banned ***

Post by Rocky »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Well Well. I do not agree the way you handled it....If they were husband and wife or just the parents of the kid, I don't believe putting your hand on a shoulder is a crime...
...I think you over reacted.....IMO..
I would of observerd a while longer...if he had been more aggressive then I would of spoken up as you did..and be at the ready as you did.....
I have to agree with Carmen on this one. :D
I would of watched, but kept my mouth shut.
And let us not forget the Beavercreek 911 caller. :twisted:
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I'm glad it ended ok for you. Unfortunately it would appear that's probably not the end of troubles for that couple...

You are about the most prepared guy I know when it comes to voice recorders and whatnot. I guess it goes to show we all can be caught unprepared from time to time.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Tweed Ring wrote:I take a different position. I tend to be a devout coward. I acknowledge my lack of good fortune, and the dangers of violating the absolute tenets of the Iron Triangle of Trouble.

Given this fact-pattern, I believe I would have secured those with me in a locked vehicle, with the motor running, called 911, been a good witness, and immediately left the scene.

(Full disclosure. One bright, sunny, summer day, near the intersection of Eddy and Arlington Roads, I decided to assist a poor lady who was being beaten by two thugs. After they gave me a good tune up, I was supine on the sidewalk, she kicked me repeatedly. I remember her pink tennis shoes as I lay upon the sidewalk, attempting to protect my head from her repeated kicks. Taught me a valuable lesson - domestic situations can be dangerous, and intervention can be painful.)
I've gotten the best western ribs from a street BBQ at the Sunoco at Eddy & Arlington.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Unless he was beating her to death i would not get involved i would call 911 and be a good witness. :|
Black Rifles Matter
nu3gawhat
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by nu3gawhat »

I would say you risked escalating the conflict by getting involved. If he decided to engage you physically it could have turned out bad.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

So where the heck is Dave ?
We love you Dave. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I would have started my car and left and not gotten involved. I am not going to put myself in a situation where I may have to use my firearm unless there is an immediate threat and danger to my life. That's just me however. I know others feel differently. For me security is 90% avoiding bad situations.

I say even if you saved her from a beating if you would have had to shoot him, your the one that is going to be in jail defending yourself and if you make it through the criminal trial then you have to deal with his mother telling everyone what a "good boy" he was, and you find yourself a big civil suit. She obviously has made a choice to be with someone like that let her deal with it.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sorry, Carmen. I've been busy driving the speed limit in the left lane. :P
gaptrick wrote:...

What did the cops say when they showed up?
The cops didn't show up.

The 911 operator transferred us to the Athens city police, then city transferred me to the patrol officer. By then, the male was out of my sight.

The patrol officer said, "That's how it's supposed to work. I wish more people would do that."
Tweed Ring wrote:I take a different position. I tend to be a devout coward...
As do I. I am armed to protect me and mine.

But being there for the show this guy put on...and all the variables that presented themselves...I made a choice.

When my wife and I were commenting about it being a domestic issue, I told her, "...as long as he's not hitting her."

This guy was, literally, twice the size of the female. There was a child present. His facial expression changed significantly as he caught up with her. He grabbed her on top of her right shoulder with his right hand, but the female pulled away just as I said, "Hey!"

We were in a public area during daytime with clear weather. There were people in the area next to the building off to my right.

I did not intend to get physically involved if their dispute went physical. That's when witness-only mode would kick in. I hope.

I had a spot to stand with a car door between me and the male. I had my wife to call 911 and be an additional witness.

I did not start the initial assault, I interrupted it. The female kept moving. At that point, IMHO, a separate threat appeared when the male turned toward me. It could be construed that I started the new threat, so I made no inflammatory comments or motions to the male that might escalate things. My wife reminded me that I did tell him, "You have a nice day", after he started walking back towards the SUV.

I really appreciate all the different viewpoints.

Keep 'em coming.
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

We each carry our own water.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Spinning someone is not a crime I believe ...
Grabbing someone and spinning them around is a use of force, particularly in light of the fact that she was obviously walking away with a child as he was cursing at her in a loud and profane manner. It could range from Unlawful Restraint ("without privilege to do so, *** knowingly restrain[ing] another of the other person's liberty," R.C. 2905.03), a third degree misdemeanor, to Abduction ("without privilege to do so, *** knowingly, [and by] force or threat, restrain[ing] the liberty of another person under circumstances that *** place the other person in fear," R.C. 2905.02), a felony of the third degree. Whether one should intervene in such a situation is a legitimate subject of debate, but given the facts as described, I would not grant the perpetrator any justification for his actions.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I now believe.No spinning...
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I now believe.No spinning...
When I go see The Nutcracker, I'll be going after all those male ballet dancers! :twisted:

I mean that in a most legal, perfectly innocent kind of 'going after'. :oops:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BobK

Post by BobK »

It also occurred to me while reading the thread title repeatedly pop up on the "View New Posts" page that the title is most likely incorrect.

Sad to say, you probably did not keep something from escalating, only delayed it. Wanna' bet that lady ended up with a beating afterwards because you frustrated the jackwagon?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Who among us has not yelled and cussed out their wife ??

I haven't...cussed out that is...