Middletown PD A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Middletown PD A+

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Pulled over by Middletown for no front plate (no holes, no desire to create any, no excuses I know). Frankly, I thought he had me for speeding for which I believe he would have been justified. Did I just say that on a public forum? Anyway, he approaches the car, my hands are on the wheel in a casual kind of way. He introduced himself and I very quickly followed up with my speech:
Good afternoon. I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and I am armed.
He asks where it is. I tell him. He asks what it is. I tell him. He promptly starts the discussion of HK's monetary cost vs. performance compared to competitors. Overall, if we had beers and a deck, we would have sounded like old friends heckling each other about our life choices.

In the end, no ticket and a nice roadside chat.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
soberbiker

Re: Middletown PD A+

Post by soberbiker »

Was a license plate bracket never put on the car or is it a new bumper??? I believe if there was not a bracket affixed to the car when new you are not required to display one. In states that only issue one plate the dealers never put on the front bracket.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

soberbiker wrote:Was a license plate bracket never put on the car or is it a new bumper??? I believe if there was not a bracket affixed to the car when new you are not required to display one. In states that only issue one plate the dealers never put on the front bracket.
Never had a bracket. There is a clear space for it but no bracketing or mounting holes.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

soberbiker wrote:Was a license plate bracket never put on the car or is it a new bumper??? I believe if there was not a bracket affixed to the car when new you are not required to display one. In states that only issue one plate the dealers never put on the front bracket.
Myth. Trust me :(
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Ohio has been a two-plate state for as long (60+ years) as I can remember. The vehicle OWNER is responsible for properly displayed plates, although any driver of the vehicle could be cited for improper display.

I've had numerous cars over the years: 'Vette, M-B, Beemer, Caddy, Lincoln, various musclecars....they were ALL properly plated. If they didn't come with a front bracket, I made the dealer or seller install one gratis.

Recently, I had occasion to speak with a local mayor. He was bemoaning the sad state of affairs in his town; he was looking for ways to increase the flow of revenue into the coffers. I told him he was ignoring a great revenue stream right under his nose: Get a local ordinance passed about not having a front plate. Every day, I see dozens of one plate morons driving around the area. I put them in the same class as the people without placards parking in handicapped spots. If they want to thumb their noses at the motor vehicle laws, be like Tim and make them pay! I figured $500 a pop would be a good starting point, doubling for repeat offenders! What the heck, for all the yuppies with their one-plate sports cars and SUVs, that's chump change.

I told him the legislation could easily be patterned after the seatbelt ordinances enacted by various municipalities. He assured me that he would be consulting with his law director. I told him to hurry up before some other local entity hijacks the gravy train.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

FYI, you do not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. You have a license to carry a concealed handgun.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Suckerspawn wrote:

FYI, you do not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. You have a license to carry a concealed handgun.
Well that took longer than I expected... :wink:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Suckerspawn wrote:

This I understand. I try not to mix the word "gun" (even as part of another word) into my police gumbo. Even if it is more accurate it can be, in my mind, antagonistic if misunderstood by the approaching officer. Am I paranoid, probably, but that is my right I suppose. The point was made and understood by all involved.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

Tench Coxe
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Oh yeah, WONDERFUL idea. Just what we need, more nanny-state BS laws enacted for victimless crimes.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
CroManGun wrote: Recently, I had occasion to speak with a local mayor. He was bemoaning the sad state of affairs in his town; he was looking for ways to increase the flow of revenue into the coffers. I told him he was ignoring a great revenue stream right under his nose: Get a local ordinance passed about not having a front plate. Every day, I see dozens of one plate morons driving around the area. I put them in the same class as the people without placards parking in handicapped spots. If they want to thumb their noses at the motor vehicle laws, be like Tim and make them pay! I figured $500 a pop would be a good starting point, doubling for repeat offenders! What the heck, for all the yuppies with their one-plate sports cars and SUVs, that's chump change.

I told him the legislation could easily be patterned after the seatbelt ordinances enacted by various municipalities. He assured me that he would be consulting with his law director. I told him to hurry up before some other local entity hijacks the gravy train.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

WY_Not wrote:Oh yeah, WONDERFUL idea. Just what we need, more nanny-state BS laws enacted for victimless crimes.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
The license plate law is already on the books, state-wise. But, as always, those who feel the law doesn't apply to them sometimes need a little incentive to comply. That's called being law-abiding. There's no downside to the millions that already comply and have been doing so for decades.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Right, it is already on the books. So, why add more laws. As with firearms laws, that is a law best left to the state level. There is NO reason for a municipality to have a duplicate on the books.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Right, it is already on the books. So, why add more laws. As with firearms laws, that is a law best left to the state level. There is NO reason for a municipality to have a duplicate on the books.
Especially one whose penalty is disproportionate to the infraction.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Obey laws until you can get them changed! 8)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

....... or get the Legislators/Polticians changed.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Uhm... no one is arguing to get a law repealed or about disobeying an existing law. :? Just arguing against the mentality that says to create yet another new/duplicate law so the municipality gets the revenue instead of the state. Nothing stops the municipality from enforcing the existing law.

Arguing to get existing, victimless crime laws off the books is a whole different discussion. Ye gotta stop the bleeding first.