Lake county Sheriff

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Lake county Sheriff

Post by Brian D. »

BobK wrote:
docachna wrote:Now if there's a way to make sure the counties don't take the financial hit, then I'm all for it.
A well managed office would view CHL licensing fees as a profit center. They should certainly be able to process a CHL for much less than the fees.
That was my theory as well. Then I talked to a certain County Auditor of longtime acquaintance and he absolutely confirmed it can be done in the "profit" column. He went further and wondered if there wasn't something wrong with a county where that wasn't the case.

Over the years he has reiterated that opinion a few times.

Also, just seems to me that even in the least populated/funded counties, there should certainly be more than ONE person who can handle doing CHL application work. It's a regular activity throughout the year, every year. You know, like taking fingerprints where they book people into the jail. I don't imagine it would sit well with judges and prosecutors to find out after the fact that someone wanted for a triple homicide in say Kentucky was released from a county jail in Ohio after doing his brief stint for drunk and disorderly because "Deputy Fred was off that week fishin', we didn't have no one was able to run that fingerprintin' contraption".
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

Dave44142 wrote:
Bersa45 wrote:Lake county has been on top of there game for a long time. I live within a few blocks of the Ashtabula county sheriff's office where we got ours back in 2004. However the last time we had to renew it was pretty obvious that Ashtabula was not up on the latest laws covering chl. So the wife and I went to Lake county and had the great experience that the OP did :mrgreen:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is good to hear that things went so well in Lake county. I am soon going to have to renew and i am going to ask if it may be ok for me to go to Lake county. I live in Cuyahoga county but i got my ccw in Portage county back in 2010. At that time they were just fantastic but am not sure how they are doing now days.Does anyone know how Portage county is doing on renewal?....Dave
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No one has any input about Portage county renewal?
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I have no knowledge about Portage County and their renewals but yes, you can go to Lake if you live in Cuyahoga. Make your appointment online and you can renew up to 90 days before your license expires.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Not much going on at Ashtabula Sheriff's office....bunch of grumps there. Most applicants must be going to Lake County. :cry:
I am not happy about it either. My Sheriff should be someone I should be proud to have in office.
Here are stats:
Ashtabula County new CCWs processed all of 2013.....330
Lake County new CCWs processed all of 2013..........5000

Ashtabula County renewals all of 2013...................273
Lake County renewals all of 2013........................1289

Total:
Ashtabula County.....603
Lake County..........6289
More than 10 times more!
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
dlgeorge

Post by dlgeorge »

Must be nice. I just "applied" for my renewal last week and I expect to wait up to 6 months to get it! Well, maybe 3 months. They did improve one thing in Michigan though, they will mail your CPL now. You used to have to go pick it up.

In case you're wondering why I lurk at OHIO ccw forums, its because I live just over the line in Michigan and do all my business and shopping and stuff in and around Toledo.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Dave44142 wrote:
Dave44142 wrote:
Bersa45 wrote:Lake county has been on top of there game for a long time. I live within a few blocks of the Ashtabula county sheriff's office where we got ours back in 2004. However the last time we had to renew it was pretty obvious that Ashtabula was not up on the latest laws covering chl. So the wife and I went to Lake county and had the great experience that the OP did :mrgreen:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is good to hear that things went so well in Lake county. I am soon going to have to renew and i am going to ask if it may be ok for me to go to Lake county. I live in Cuyahoga county but i got my ccw in Portage county back in 2010. At that time they were just fantastic but am not sure how they are doing now days.Does anyone know how Portage county is doing on renewal?....Dave
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No one has any input about Portage county renewal?

You'll have better luck inquiring in the "Applications and Renewals " area of the forums... Probably where this thread should have been born too...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
GWC

Post by GWC »

I just renewed my CHL Monday in Lake county.

Appointment was 2:00 pm. I got there a few minutes early (5 minutes at the most), and I drove out of the parking lot with my license in hand at 2:08!
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Resurrecting an older thread due to new information.
My friend at work told me he went to Ashtabula County to renew his CCW. At the front window he was speaking to the lady and Sheriff Johnson was nearby and said "Another IDIOT who wants to carry a gun".
It sure is great that we have such an outstanding Sheriff defending the rights of the citizens of his county.
GO TO LAKE COUNTY, NOT ASHTABULA.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Birdman wrote:Resurrecting an older thread due to new information.
My friend at work told me he went to Ashtabula County to renew his CCW. At the front window he was speaking to the lady and Sheriff Johnson was nearby and said "Another IDIOT who wants to carry a gun".
It sure is great that we have such an outstanding Sheriff defending the rights of the citizens of his county.

Isn't that the same one that a couple years ago recommended people get their license because they only had a couple deputies?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

Birdman

Post by Birdman »

I don't remember exactly but I think he said something like "you are on your own until the Sheriff can get there". I don't think he ever would have said to get a CCW.

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Birdman wrote:I don't remember exactly but I think he said something like "you are on your own until the Sheriff can get there". I don't think he ever would have said to get a CCW.
My bad, it was a judge.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04 ... le_ma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Birdman wrote:Resurrecting an older thread due to new information.
Is this clown running unopposed in the next election? If not, perhaps an effort by the citizens there is warranted.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Shameful... When you get too big for your britches you need to find another profession. Imagine where wed all be if we were to treat our bosses or customers like this....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

gaptrick wrote:Shameful... When you get too big for your britches you need to find another profession. Imagine where wed all be if we were to treat our bosses or customers like this....
Late breaking news...Poop does NOT roll uphill!
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

CroManGun wrote:
gaptrick wrote:Shameful... When you get too big for your britches you need to find another profession. Imagine where wed all be if we were to treat our bosses or customers like this....
Late breaking news...Poop does NOT roll uphill!
Could be that the majority of his bosses (the voters) either approve of his position or don't care.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member