A time and place for open carry

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

A time and place for open carry

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

Last night there was an armed man who threatened to harm to himself and others then refused to come out of his apartment. As officers set up a perimeter, SWAT arrived and negotiations continued, there was an obvious police presence. Then a neighbor decides to grab his shotgun, exit his apartment and stand nearby to "protect his girl friend"..... By the way the shotgun was unloaded.

This guy almost won a Darwin Award. Lucky for him there were smart officers on scene. The primary suspect was later taken into custody and the prosecutor is looking at the incident of the "protective boyfriend" for possible charges.

Idiots like this give gun owners a bad name.

Thoughts? Should he be charged?
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: A time and place for open carry

Post by Javelin Man »

He should be charged with violating a police order to stand down and go back into his apartment for there is no need to be outside the apartment with a shotgun to protect anybody inside the apartment. Of course, this is assuming the police don't open fire on him as well or, once they figure out the situation, tell him what's up and order him back inside.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Assuming he was ordered to do so, would that have been a lawful order?

If not, or if he wasn't ordered to do so in the first place, then the only thing I can thing of that he is guilty of is multiple counts of stupidity, which isn't against the law.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Depends on what the girlfriend looks like. Pics ?
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

I think the neighbor needs to be drug tested at his workplace.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

WTH was he going to do with an unloaded shotgun? And, I'm not sure I classify this as open carry in the normal sense that we think of. Would you think any different if he had a gun openly holstered on his hip instead of the shotgun?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pirateguy191 wrote:WTH was he going to do with an unloaded shotgun? And, I'm not sure I classify this as open carry in the normal sense that we think of. Would you think any different if he had a gun openly holstered on his hip instead of the shotgun?
But it's his right to stand on his front porch and hold a shotgun to protect his property as the militarized SWAT team barges into his neighbor's apartment. :roll:

(hopefully you all see the sarcasm there)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:WTH was he going to do with an unloaded shotgun? And, I'm not sure I classify this as open carry in the normal sense that we think of. Would you think any different if he had a gun openly holstered on his hip instead of the shotgun?
But it's his right to stand on his front porch and hold a shotgun to protect his property as the militarized SWAT team barges into his neighbor's apartment. :roll:

(hopefully you all see the sarcasm there)
Did I say it was his right to stand on his front porch and hold a shotgun to protect his property as the militarized SWAT team barges into his neighbor's apartment? Seriously, did I? Please re-read what I wrote.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Pirate, you missed the small font at the bottom. It was sarcasm.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

What's the point of going on the porch with an unloaded shotgun, he is lucky he did'nt get capped. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Should he have to have permission to protect himself and her? No. I am sorry but this isn't a Beavercreek deal. A Officer must have in the back of his mind that someone may be armed defending his domicile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
ApexShootingTactics

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Should he have to have permission to protect himself and her? No. I am sorry but this isn't a Beavercreek deal. A Officer must have in the back of his mind that someone may be armed defending his domicile.
I know you don't understand the full scope of the incident and scene but are you saying it is OK for people that live near an on going barricade subject incident to just show up in the LE perimeter with a long gun to protect their home? And when they do an officer just needs to somehow know that he/she is just there to protect their home?
-Andrew

ApexShootingTactics

No charges were filed.

A follow up interview was done and the subject explained his actions. The subject reported not knowing about the incident taking place or that LE being on scene. The subject's girlfriend was about to leave work at a near by business and when she discovered what was happening she called the subject and was hysterical on the phone. The subject reported he only understood that she couldn't come home because there was a man with a gun. So he grabbed the shotgun and decided to go see what was happening with his girlfriend and he ends up walking out into the scene.

So situational awareness almost got this man killed in several different ways.
1. He did not understand the threat/situation so his plan to deal with it was doomed to fail.
2. Shotgun was unloaded. He reported not knowing the condition of the weapon. Ben Franklin once said, By failing to prepare we prepare to fail. Check your gun and kit. That "click of death" will be the loudest sound you will ever hear in a gun fight.
3. Fail to call for help. We are not a rural community and cell service is great. No excuse not to call 911 and let them know what is going on. One, it may offer more information to the responder and Two it will let the possible responding officers know of your intentions/actions. In this case just calling 911 they would have been able to clue him in on what was going on.
-Andrew

BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Armchair quarterbacking. :roll:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BEAR! wrote:Armchair quarterbacking. :roll:
Call it armchair quarterbacking if you want, and you may quibble over some of the finer points, but by and large it was a fail on an epic scale. I mean come on, the shotgun wasn't even loaded. :roll:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!