A time and place for open carry

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: A time and place for open carry

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Apex, if someone walked out of their house with an openly holstered sidearm, what then?

The biggest fail here is the unloaded gun.
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Apex, if someone walked out of their house with an openly holstered sidearm, what then?

I tried that one but didn't get an answer.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
hank.forker

Post by hank.forker »

So to boil it down, a man walked outside of his home with a firearm. Sounds like he had every right to do so.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Apex, if someone walked out of their house with an openly holstered sidearm, what then?

I tried that one but didn't get an answer.
I agree, but got taken to task over on BFA. Still don't see where he could be charged with the stuff they were talking about. As I said, epic fail but mostly because of the club... er, unloaded shotgun.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

And we are back to the debate over an holstered/slung firearm vs a carried/in the hands firearm. Is there a difference in threat level between the two? I say there is.

As for a violation, if they wanted to push it, I say...

2917.13 Misconduct at emergency.

(A) No person shall knowingly do any of the following:
(1) Hamper the lawful operations of any law enforcement officer, firefighter, rescuer, medical person, emergency medical services person, or other authorized person, engaged in the person's duties at the scene of a fire, accident, disaster, riot, or emergency of any kind;
(3) Fail to obey the lawful order of any law enforcement officer engaged in the law enforcement officer's duties at the scene of or in connection with a fire, accident, disaster, riot, or emergency of any kind.

#3 would only apply if they told the residents to stay inside. Is that a lawful order? That's up to debate. Can police tell you not to run into a burning building to save your dog? We are back to what is a lawful order which we have heavily debated on here in the past.

#1 I think would fit most appropriately as walking outside of a SWAT standoff with a shotgun when unrelated to the incident is hampering it as you are taking the direction away from their primary objective and putting the attention on themselves.

Unfortunately, there is very little case law with regards to 2917.13 so it's hard to really apply the section. Basically, it's not used that often.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ApexShootingTactics

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

I did up date the post. He was not charged and I gave further detail.

It seems that some of you want to debate the issue that any law abiding citizen can walk anywhere open carry to include an active an unfolding event like a barricaded subject. I explained why the subject was not charged in this case. It is my opinion that he would have been charged in this incident if he KNEW LE was on scene and he his purpose was to get involved.

It is my opinion that the incident was closer to fitting Disorderly Conduct. If reverse 911 was used or he ignored initial orders by officers on scene then I agree with JediSkipDog concerning Misconduct at Emergency.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

That was not the situation here. And regardless of what spurious arguments may be made as to all acts of open carry being the same, everything has context.

And regarding the observation of JediSkipdogg as to the dearth of case law, there is one keen observation from the Court of Appeals in the same jurisdiction:
"There are only a handful of decisions that have discussed this offense. The common thread they share is that the defendant acted-out in a way that interfered with an official's investigation of an accident or emergency." State v. Bryant, 2011-Ohio-4555, at ¶12 (9th Dist.).
For a person to appear with a shotgun at a barricade situation, without further explanation and without being a recognizable law enforcement officer, is clearly an act which would distract from the performance of emergency duties, regardless of whether or not the shotgun is loaded. To claim otherwise is grossly naïve or outright dishonest. Having a good story about his mistaken belief is probably the only thing that prevented this guy from being charged.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

ApexShootingTactics wrote: "As officers set up a perimeter, SWAT arrived and negotiations continued, there was an obvious police presence."

A follow up interview was done and the subject explained his actions. The subject reported not knowing about the incident taking place or that LE being on scene. The subject's girlfriend was about to leave work at a near by business and when she discovered what was happening she called the subject and was hysterical on the phone. The subject reported he only understood that she couldn't come home because there was a man with a gun. So he grabbed the shotgun and decided to go see what was happening with his girlfriend and he ends up walking out into the scene.
Looks like, in this case, ignorance WAS an excuse. Now the unloaded shotgun is starting to make sense. Hopefully, next time, he'll be content to stay inside and just lick the window.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm still trying to figure out the hysterical girlfriend that didn't make sense. Maybe she's an MDAer that swatted her own boyfriend. :lol:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I'd like to know what laws are on the books regarding these situations. What authority do the police have to order people to "shelter in place"? If they have such authority...based on the law...how far out does that "perimeter" extend beyond the immediate area of the incident. AFAIK these are questions without answers...and for the most part citizens just cooperate with such orders without questioning them.

EDIT: Looks like Jedi asked the same above :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
ApexShootingTactics

A few of the laws that could apply to your question Glocksmith. Understand that every situation is different but the scenes that I have worked we have had people refuse to leave their home when they were in immediate danger of the suspect. No worries, we just warn them of the danger and tell them to let us know if they want to leave so those working the scene are not caught off guard. At most scenes we have people cause issues wanting to get close and video tape/ take photos. Nothing we can do other than keep them at the perimeter. I have also had people walk directly through a perimeter, some on purpose, some by accident. In 12 years I can't recall us charging anyone outside of the primary suspects, this last incident was the closest we came.

Obstructing Justice
Obstructing Official Business
Disorderly Conduct
Misconduct at an Emergency
-Andrew

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:A few of the laws that could apply to your question Glocksmith. Understand that every situation is different but the scenes that I have worked we have had people refuse to leave their home when they were in immediate danger of the suspect. No worries, we just warn them of the danger and tell them to let us know if they want to leave so those working the scene are not caught off guard. At most scenes we have people cause issues wanting to get close and video tape/ take photos. Nothing we can do other than keep them at the perimeter. I have also had people walk directly through a perimeter, some on purpose, some by accident. In 12 years I can't recall us charging anyone outside of the primary suspects, this last incident was the closest we came.

Obstructing Justice
Not likely. That requires evidence of purpose to "hinder the discovery, apprehension, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of another for crime or to assist another to benefit from the commission of a crime." Folks who are just being nosy or want to "protect themselves and their families" aren't going to fit into that category. There must be compelling evidence that the person is trying to help out the barricaded suspect.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The Iron Triangle of Trouble. Anticipate it. Avoid it.
ApexShootingTactics

Werz,
Like I said each situation is different. The examples I gave are just that, examples. Each one will fit a different set of circumstances. Obstructing is very common at least it is common around Medina County. And we are not charging people for being nosey, to get charged you need to go beyond that.
-Andrew

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:Werz,
Like I said each situation is different. The examples I gave are just that, examples. Each one will fit a different set of circumstances. Obstructing is very common at least it is common around Medina County. And we are not charging people for being nosey, to get charged you need to go beyond that.
Obstructing Official Business gets charged a lot, but not as often as officers want it to be; the case law is pretty clear that a person cannot be charged with that just because they refuse to tell the officer what he/she wants to know. Obstructing Justice comes into the booking desk a lot more often than it comes out of the grand jury room.

And some counties don't allow police officers to write complaints that cannot be written on a citation form.

Just sayin' ...
-- BobK