A time and place for open carry

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: A time and place for open carry

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Should he have to have permission to protect himself and her? No. I am sorry but this isn't a Beavercreek deal. A Officer must have in the back of his mind that someone may be armed defending his domicile.
I know you don't understand the full scope of the incident and scene but are you saying it is OK for people that live near an on going barricade subject incident to just show up in the LE perimeter with a long gun to protect their home? And when they do an officer just needs to somehow know that he/she is just there to protect their home?
An officer needs to know that a gun that is not POINTED at someone is not a threat.

What? Not a threat? Are you serious?!

Yes. It can become a threat in less than a second, but so can a holstered handgun (hence, my earlier question).
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

The police should have just asked him to go back inside and if they need his help, they'd be sure to call him right away!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Tweed Ring wrote:The Iron Triangle of Trouble. Anticipate it. Avoid it.
People, places and things.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
ApexShootingTactics

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

Javelin Man and My Wife Said Yes,

You realize you are asking police to be mind readers?

Believe it or not but the information passed along to LE is not always 100% accurate. Physical descriptions and locations are not always accurate so we respond but we keep 360 degree awareness. If you are at a call for an armed barricaded male in a densely populated condo/apartment area and someone comes out of a door and into the parking area with a shotgun just how do you think people should know that man isn't a threat? That is not normal behavior. I've been to a lot of dynamic scenes and it isn't typical for Joe Neighbor just to walk out. Can it happen? Absolutely but it isn't the norm and it isn't what people typically do. That is the common sense that is applied to the situation.

The subject was given verbal commands and he complied. After he was identified he returned to his apartment. He wasn't charged, he wasn't shot, he was only detained long enough to determine who he was and that he was not part of the original call.

MyWifeSaidYes.... To say,
An officer needs to know that a gun that is not POINTED at someone is not a threat.
is a ridiculous statement when you apply it to the situation we are talking about. The same would apply if the subject in question came out with an open carry holstered handgun and it would apply for the same reasons I stated earlier. You have to put all of this in context. This isn't anti open carry stance... This is, avoid showing up to an active gun call as a civilian brandishing a firearm stance if you are not needed.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Aesinsp wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:The Iron Triangle of Trouble. Anticipate it. Avoid it.
People, places and things.

I tell my factory-trained felons: avoid bad people, bad places, and bad things.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

A time and place..
Today I went to Pick and Pull (self serve auto parts removal). As my son and I approached the front doors, I noticed the 'no concealed weapons' signage. For a minute I stopped in my tracks, discussed needing to go back to the truck for another tool (while putting away the self defense tool). Upon coming back to the building, I realized that I should have just open carried, but I digress.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Aesinsp wrote:A time and place..
Today I went to Pick and Pull (self serve auto parts removal). As my son and I approached the front doors, I noticed the 'no concealed weapons' signage. For a minute I stopped in my tracks, discussed needing to go back to the truck for another tool (while putting away the self defense tool). Upon coming back to the building, I realized that I should have just open carried, but I digress.
Hopefully before you need auto parts the next time you can find a non-posted alternative that wants "our kind" spending money with them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.