UDAP Bear Spray ---> WORKS (on Dog) as Advertised !

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Labrat0116

UDAP Bear Spray ---> WORKS (on Dog) as Advertised !

Post by Labrat0116 »

My wife and I were out on a walk here (Troy) with our dog (on a leash of course). In a decent residential neighborhood.

We get a couple blocks away from our house when my wife yells...."Oh **** ! DOG"! I scan around, and noticed a large Boxer (LOOSE and in full sprint) charging directly towards us out of side alley !

I immediately retracted our dog (11lb Chorkie), and promptly picked him up (taking him out of dangers way), I reached for my can of bear spray (attached to my belt). By this time, the Boxer is about (20) feet away, I'm able to deploy the Safety clip and fire the spray directlty towards the charging Boxer. It deployed a huge cloud of orange spray directly in the Boxer's face (that was now less than (10) feet from us.

That Boxer IMMEDIATELY stopped DEAD in his tracks (now about 5 feet) from us and IMMEDIATELY retreated ! When I mean immediately, I meant like RIGHT NOW! It was almost like I smacked him with large stick or something! Anyways, he took of running, shaking his head wildly the whole time!

To say the least, we were EXTREMELY IMPRESSED on how well the bear spray worked ! It most certainly saved us (and our dog) from bodily harm or worse!

It was windy out and we did get a slight blow back of spray on us. It was nothing severe, but just noticeable. Nothing that kept us from getting home fast for First Aid. We had some discomfort in our nose and eyes. Thank God we both were glasses or it would have been worse.

As soon as we got home, I had to shower before going into work. It was then when I prompty realized, I had more Bear spray on me (my face). As soon as the water hit my face and eyes, it was as if someone had thrown acid in my face!

Let me tell you, this **** is MUCH STONGER than mace! Being Retired Military, I've had Chemical warfare training to included running into a hot tent (in full MOPP 4 chem gear) that was filled with mace, taking your gas mask of and running in place and seeing how long you can stand it.

So apparently, using water to rinse this stuff off makes in 100x WORSE! My face and eyes felt like they were on fire! I mean it hurt BAD ! Not just a very uncomfortable, burning sensation, but very, very bad burning sensation! So note to self.....(Using water as a First Aid treatment makes it WORSE !).

The only negative was the can of bear spray was fully deployed on (1) trigger pull. I don't know (yet) if this was by design or a malfunction of the trigger itself. I was expecting the trigger to shut the flow of spray OFF after I released the trigger. It did not release. It was (1) shot and (1) shot only! Thank God I got a good shot off in that dog's face!

We are absolutely sold on this stuff to do it's job! I ordered (2) more cans of it!

Retired USAF
calvin56

Re: UDAP Bear Spray ---> WORKS (on Dog) as Advertised !

Post by calvin56 »

The brand I use has isobutane for the propellant. Firing a pistol through the cloud turns it into a 30 foot flamethrower and yes I have practiced it each time I rotate cans.

Bear spray against grizzly, not so good. 44 mag against grizzly, not so good. Add in the fireball, better.
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

Now if we could just deploy it to some police officers.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Pecker wrote:Now if we could just deploy it to some police officers.
They're called dog shooters here. :roll:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

BEAR! wrote:
Pecker wrote:Now if we could just deploy it to some police officers.
They're called dog shooters here. :roll:
:(
Nothing to see here...move along.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My main concern about chemical sprays is using them in high winds when the attacker, human or critter, comes from the upwind side. Just might get more on me than the assailant.

We've had that happen to cops in the town i work for; they can usually get their cruiser to our fire station to get cleaned up, but not always.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
gransport

Post by gransport »

Seems to me that a dog owner owes you a can of bear spray....and an apology.
Johnny Law

Post by Johnny Law »

Sudecon decontamination wipes help neutralize some of it. I always have a few packages available when I carry OC spray. They don't completely stop the effects, but they do minimize them.
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Dawn dish soap. Simple and easy. Works every time for decontamination
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Seems to me it did what it was suppose to do....I have one question for your several questions you asked.....Did you read the instructions on the can ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Seems to me it did what it was suppose to do....I have one question for your several questions you asked.....Did you read the instructions on the can ?
The guy was being charged by a killer boxer, who's got time to read instructions! Meanwhile, back in the left lane.... :wink:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Don't you read lables when you buy a product ? You know, like when you buy a gun it tells you if you want to fire it you should squeeze the trigger....or as most on this forum would say, pull the trigger...

That might be your problem with women...you can't read them right.... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Double3

Post by Double3 »

CroManGun wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Seems to me it did what it was suppose to do....I have one question for your several questions you asked.....Did you read the instructions on the can ?
The guy was being charged by a killer boxer, who's got time to read instructions! Meanwhile, back in the left lane.... :wink:
Deadly consequences of a playful dog.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Don't you read lables when you buy a product ? You know, like when you buy a gun it tells you if you want to fire it you should squeeze the trigger....or as most on this forum would say, pull the trigger...

That might be your problem with women...you can't read them right.... :)
No problem reading them at all. I'm a voracious reader, I've consumed volumes of them. I note that you've been on the same volume for decades. :lol:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
remphoto

Post by remphoto »

I sprayed a charging dog once with the little can of pepper spray like the postmen carry. It stopped immediately and headed for a nearby pond where it remained for an hour thrashing its head in the water. I got a small whiff of the spray and it was pretty potent.