Attempted break-in this morning

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Attempted break-in this morning

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If you think it's the same guy braking in, let him the next time..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

We love leaving our windows open this time of year. We have slide siding windows in our living room and dining room. When they are both open, we get quite a nice breeze through the front of the house. I don't trust the little flimsy plastic tabs they use as stops. We will crack the windows open a little bit and then I have a 2x4 between the 2 windows so they don't open any further. This might not be the perfect solution, but it works for us. Having a 90# dog helps a little bit, too.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Buckeyedoc wrote:Having a 90# dog helps a little bit, too.
Still a puppy, or do you just like small dogs? :wink:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

All of my firearms are locked in either a big safe in the case of stored firearms, or in a quick access safe where my EDC handgun lives when I'm not carrying it. (I work at OSU so sadly it can't be with me all day.) My shotgun lives in more of a locker type enclosure bolted to the wall of my master bedroom.
I think it would take them longer to gain access to the shotgun or the gun safe than they would have were they to set off my alarm.
The little gunvault my pistol lives in though, they could just pick that up and take off with it, and I haven't figured out any way to prevent that.
No dog for me, I'm not really home enough to be fair to one.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

techguy85 wrote:
GatorNavy wrote:
techguy85 wrote:At this point, they stopped and went to the back door. They started trying to open it by jiggling it around in the track. It was at this point that I felt they were actually trying to make entry so I broke out the 870 in addition to the 1911 I had already had out on the night stand.
I told the dispatcher that they needed to step up their response and that I was armed.
It was around that time that my alarm system chimed indicating that someone had opened the patio door. I put the phone down, racked a round into the 870, and got an angle on the door that would keep me mostly out of view but that I could still put fire on the doorway if needed.
We don't think they actually got inside because the cops arrived shortly there after and I am sure they heard the sirons coming.
Does anyone have any info on what can be done about these sliding doors? It seemed amazingly easy for them to move it. The lock is just a tiny little hook.
Why did you wait so long to load the 870?
I was upstairs, had a loaded handgun in reach, and only when I thought they were actually inside did I feel I really needed the shotgun. I store my shotgun with the pump released, full mag tube, and empty chamber since shotguns aren't particularly drop safe.
Ok, I understand now
Thank you and be safe
Come and get'em
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

carmen fovozzo wrote:If you think it's the same guy braking in, let him the next time..
IDK about that suggestion LoL. A very similar thing happened to me a few years ago and I ran pronto to meet him at the door....and loudly warning him not to come in. Had I made the effort to get a phone and call dispatch, that would've given him time to get fully inside.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

LET HIM IN. And do exactly what you did in your OP....if he comes to you it will most likely be his last break in..
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:LET HIM IN. And do exactly what you did in your OP....if he comes to you it will most likely be his last break in..
This will probably be true if he breaks into the home of anyone on this board, Carmen!!! :wink:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Last time I visited Carmen, he had one of these up in front of his store:

Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
macmak
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by macmak »

techguy85 wrote: Does anyone have any info on what can be done about these sliding doors? It seemed amazingly easy for them to move it. The lock is just a tiny little hook.

Without some way to stop this, sliding doors are easily lifted up and off the hook. Putting a screw or two into the top track so they just clear the door will keep the doors from being lifted enough to clear the hook.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TSiWRX wrote:Last time I visited Carmen, he had one of these up in front of his store:

SWEET.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

That thing needs to be mounted on the highest peek of his roof and be able to rotate a full 360 . 8) :lol:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Curzyk wrote:Any possibility of you getting a dog?
This. A big noisy one from the pound.
I was just looking at my slider tonight thinking of how to secure it more. Sure it can be broken and nothing but a metal mesh might deter that. I think a 1-2" or so block of wood on top of the door is necessary to keep it from being jostled up.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
lrp3rd

Post by lrp3rd »

Sir, the best lock for a sliding door is a metal bar that can be placed in the track behind the door that opens. Of course one door must be made permanently locked in place while the other is the one used to enter or leave. Unfortunately, entry may be had by breaking the glass and removing the bar but then so can it be made through any glass access. I have seen bars that are hinged and set on a hook in the access door but most of them I saw are very weak for their price. By the way, the metal bar can be a piece of galvanized pipe cut to the length of the space between the back of the access door and the wall.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

techguy85 wrote:No dog for me, I'm not really home enough to be fair to one.
I hear German Shepherds and Dobermans are also used as service dogs, although I'm sure there's a conflict of interest in temperaments for service dog and house alarm dog..