Off Topic: Police Cruiser License Plates?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mdoerner

Off Topic: Police Cruiser License Plates?

Post by mdoerner »

Hi Guys,

This is a bit off topic, but I think the crowd here can answer my question.

Many municipalities' police cruisers do not carry state issued license plates. Instead it's just a tag with a number of the squad car. What in the ORC allows this? ORC 4503.21 does not exempt the police specifically from this regulation. What am I missing here? Or is this covered in the the Administrative Code? Thanks!

-Mike Doerner
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Off Topic: Police Cruiser License Plates?

Post by Mustang380gal »

Fire engines do not have state issued plates, either.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Can you name ANY Government owned vehicle that has a State plate?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
slowquest

Post by slowquest »

Any "vehicle" owned by police or fire isn't a "vehicle" for purposes of the ORC.

4101.01(A) "Vehicles" means everything on wheels or runners, including motorized bicycles, but does not mean electric personal assistive mobility devices, vehicles that are operated exclusively on rails or tracks or from overhead electric trolley wires, and vehicles that belong to any police department, municipal fire department, or volunteer fire department, or that are used by such a department in the discharge of its functions.
“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
slowquest

Post by slowquest »

Cruiser wrote:Can you name ANY Government owned vehicle that has a State plate?

Yes, if it's not police or fire, it MUST have a plate on it. State and local vehicles will have a white plate with red characters.
“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

^^^ What he said. All the non-fire/EMS/Police vehicles owned by government entities have state-issued tags.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

mdoerner wrote:...ORC 4503.21 does not exempt the police specifically from this regulation...
As mentioned, R.C. 4501.01 says police cruisers are not "vehicles" (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4501.01)

and R.C. 4503 only deals with "Licensing of Motor Vehicles".
MyWifeSaidYes
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I can't comment on the need for a "State" plate - seems to me that this was changed some years back.

The brain trust at Youngstown PD used to run "undercover" vehicles that were older (and well used) Ford vehicles that were removed from Patrol service. License plates (to look "civilian") were often things like "YPD 3".... Between the plates and the "blackwalls & beanies" tire treatment, they weren't too hard to spot....

"Blackwalls" - white wall tires, or at least those with a stripe or two, had become very common by then. "Beanies" were (are?) very small in inexpensive hub caps that really only covered the lug nuts in the center of the wheel. The combination was quite inexpensive, but looked it :D....

YPD bought a bunch of Mopars somewhere along the line. Nobody much liked them. One of the top brass was assigned a retired Patrol vehicle as his work car. They'd repainted the car with a half-decent gold color, but didn't bother to take the big POLICE decals off the side first.... Ooops....

For a number of years, back when OH first started with "keep 'em on the car until they rot off" plates, I had a set with just six or seven digits, instead of the letters & numbers combo that's common now. Plus side was that the average BG likely wouldn't remember the number. Downside was that I didn't either....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
mdoerner

Post by mdoerner »

Thanks for the clarification boys.

Mike Doerner