Charged by vicious dog tonight

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xracer

Re: Charged by vicious dog tonight

Post by xracer »

Pit bull charging is one of the reasons I carry nearly 100% of the time now. Had to kick it in the belly one time and the next it came under or over the peoples fence and charged us. While it didn't atack (we yelled at it very loudly and it stopped just short) it was way to close for combfort. We were walking our dogs both times but how long do you wait to see if its after you or your dog before you shoot it.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

xracer wrote:Pit bull charging is one of the reasons I carry nearly 100% of the time now. Had to kick it in the belly one time and the next it came under or over the peoples fence and charged us. While it didn't atack (we yelled at it very loudly and it stopped just short) it was way to close for combfort. We were walking our dogs both times but how long do you wait to see if its after you or your dog before you shoot it.

Apparently you don't have to make that distinction. I would tread carefully with that line of logic however.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... ds-officer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Harper Woods police officer was injured Sunday in a freak accident involving a pit bull.

Several officers were trying to corral two pit bulls running loose at 8:30 a.m. near Harper Avenue and Parkcrest Drive, police said.

One of the dogs charged an officer, so he fired his gun at it, according to a statement by the Harper Woods Public Safety Department.

The bullet struck the pit bull in the head and shattered with a fragment of the projectile bouncing off the sidewalk and striking another officer in the upper arm, police said.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z3As5oaFFP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I knew my dog had a hard head, and I knew that freaky things can happen with skull shots, but I never put 2 and 2 together quite like this! :shock:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
niXD45c
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by niXD45c »

I thought Ohio had a law that allows a person to shoot a dog when it is approaching in a menacing or threatening manner ?
(or some such wording)
It's a great day to be alive!
Dave
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

niXD45c wrote:I thought Ohio had a law that allows a person to shoot a dog when it is approaching in a menacing or threatening manner ?
(or some such wording)
We do.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
niXD45c
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by niXD45c »

That's it! Thanks :!:
approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack
It's a great day to be alive!
Dave
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Lot of Dogs running loose in the neighborhood lately.
Close to FlyinCedar
http://wktn.com/local-news/110607

One block up from me.
http://wktn.com/local-news/110785
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Slowpoke wrote: This dog was not on a leash and there was no owner in sight; I instinctively yelled "HEY...HO" switched the phone to my left hand and upholstered my .38 snubbie.
Button tuft or tuck & roll? :wink:
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

What caliber for mastiff? Do you carry a reload? Can you do it one handed? Questions I seldom considered, though I do carry a reload. I have had to use Pepper spray on a charging dog once. Worked effectively although not the way I expected. The dog simply stopped and starting rubbing its nose on the grass. Didn't make a sound. But since it stopped the dog, no complaints.
dlgeorge

Post by dlgeorge »

What I want to know is what type of upholstery you did on your gun, leather or cloth, and why would you upholster it right when the dog charged!? :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Slowpoke wrote: This dog was not on a leash and there was no owner in sight; I instinctively yelled "HEY...HO" switched the phone to my left hand and upholstered my .38 snubbie.
I think blue velvet would look nice on a .38 snubbie, save the black leather for things like 1911's. :P
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I think the part of the code that says if the dog is attacking live stock,exotic or domestic animals except a cat or another dog should be taken out.. Only police dogs can be protected from another dog attacking... That's BS.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Bama.45 wrote:I think the part of the code that says if the dog is attacking live stock,exotic or domestic animals except a cat or another dog should be taken out.. Only police dogs can be protected from another dog attacking... That's BS.

I don't agree. Having grown up on a farm, stray dogs were shot on sight.

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I think the part of the code that says if the dog is attacking live stock,exotic or domestic animals except a cat or another dog should be taken out.. Only police dogs can be protected from another dog attacking... That's BS.

I don't agree. Having grown up on a farm, stray dogs were shot on sight.
Legally?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

If they were harassing livestock ,yes.