Charged by vicious dog tonight

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Slowpoke

Charged by vicious dog tonight

Post by Slowpoke »

Took my beagle on a walk tonight on a trail in Dublin which runs about 100 yards behind some houses in my neighborhood. I was talking on the phone with my wife (leash in one hand, phone in the other) when all of the sudden I see a very large dog charging at speed coming from one of the backyards barking/ growling. This dog was not on a leash and there was no owner in sight; I instinctively yelled "HEY...HO" switched the phone to my left hand and upholstered my .38 snubbie. The dog stopped his charge about 10 feet away and started walking toward me slowly still growling..I was being backed up with the gun pointed at him and yelling over and over "WHO'S DOG IS THIS?...SOMEBODY COME GET THIS DOG!". A did hear a little girl did answer from one of the yards "thats grandma's dog!".

I was within seconds of shooting this dog when he stopped advancing on me and moved off back towards the houses. My guess is the family was watching the dog for grandma and the little girl let him loose in the backyard to do his business.

Anyway this was the first time in the 4 years since I have had my CHL I had to draw my weapon. I was very glad I had it with me tonight...I don't always carry when I am walking the dog and sometimes feel silly for doing so; not anymore. I do think my added confidence from having the weapon was sensed by the dog and may have given him second thoughts; or maybe he was just displaying aggression and had no intent to attack. Either way the owner not keeping his large, threatening dog under control almost cost the animal his life. This dog was very large and intimidating (muscular, large chest, at least 90 lbs); I am no dog breed expert but think it may have been a mastiff / mix of some kind.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

- Ben Franklin
BobK

Re: Charged by vicious dog tonight

Post by BobK »

Glad this worked out like over 2,000,000 defensive gun uses each year: the gun was there and no shots had to be fired.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

We have many, many dogs in our residential neighborhood. I never walk my dogs without my firearm. I always hold the leash in my off hand and never talk on the phone. You never know when a dog can and will come out of nowhere.

I've been approached on multiple occasions, by dogs running loose, but have never had to unholster. I have had my hand on my holstered handgun on several occasions. I'm glad it worked out for you.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Slowpoke

Post by Slowpoke »

Just glad it happened with me and not my wife (she walks the dog on that trail MUCH more that I do). Will be buying pepper spray for her to carry.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

- Ben Franklin
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Slowpoke wrote:Just glad it happened with me and not my wife (she walks the dog on that trail MUCH more that I do). Will be buying pepper spray for her to carry.
Wasp spray works at a greater distance.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:Just glad it happened with me and not my wife (she walks the dog on that trail MUCH more that I do). Will be buying pepper spray for her to carry.
Pistols work better IMO. Caveat: This is coming for a guy whose wife has been with him to the range a grand total of 2 times. :roll:
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
BobK

Post by BobK »

pirateguy191 wrote:
But why poison a dog if pepper spray will do the job? Of course, if pepper spray doesn't work, then shooting the dog is even more harmful to its health than wasp spray. :lol: :lol:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Trying to simulate a charging dog with some sort of target at the range takes some doing. I'm fortunate enough to have use of a pretty good gravel pit, and also the help of some creative friends. We did indeed cobble together a low-to-the ground mover which came straight at the shooter. A radio control model pick up truck served nicely with the target just barely above the "vehicle". That part risked destroying the mover but nobody hit it with a bullet. To increase the similarity we had the shooter hold onto a rope with one hand with the other end attached to a heavy object that couldn't really be pulled backwards.

Hitting the target one handed was challenging enough while standing still. Add a bit of lateral movement to sort of sidestep the attacking dog and things really get dicey.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

When walking a Dog, one should always carry a shotgun..... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

We were doing the garage sale thing this weekend and there was a community sale where a bunch of homes were having a sale. There was a lot of people walking to the various houses and I had my immediate family and a few of my sisters small boys (younger than 5) with me on the sidewalk.

A dalmation came out of a garage from a house on the corner and was charging hard (we were at the corner waiting to cross the street). It happened pretty fast and I was lucky to react enough by stepping between the boys and the dog. I was going for the draw but it stopped about 5 feet from us (still in their yard) and just looked at us. I had the wife take the boys across the street and looked to see if an owner would come out to claim it as there were still a bunch of people walking the sidewalk. Eventually it moved back to the garage. I don't know if there was an electric fence or not (didn't see any signs or flags) but the dog never left the yard.

Scary feeling for sure.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The wife and I walk the neighborhood quite often........there is one house ( my Insurance agents ) that has a couple of dogs that would make you poop your pants....Every time we walk by they will charge you to the limit..then stop because of invisible fence.
...If someone for the first time that was armed walked by this front yard I would guarantee this dog would get shot...That's how close this dog gets to you....I know the dog is all bark and no bite....but it is scary as hell to someone for the first time.....the freaken dog just looks mean....
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

carmen fovozzo wrote:The wife and I walk the neighborhood quite often........there is one house ( my Insurance agents ) that has a couple of dogs that would make you poop your pants....Every time we walk by they will charge you to the limit..then stop because of invisible fence.
...If someone for the first time that was armed walked by this front yard I would guarantee this dog would get shot...That's how close this dog gets to you....I know the dog is all bark and no bite....but it is scary as hell to someone for the first time.....the freaken dog just looks mean....
Doin it's job well it seems.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

" Hello George...? This is Carmen... Afraid I need to file a claim. Just got bit by a dog... Who's dog you ask...? Well that would be yours." HA!
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Aesinsp wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:The wife and I walk the neighborhood quite often........there is one house ( my Insurance agents ) that has a couple of dogs that would make you poop your pants....Every time we walk by they will charge you to the limit..then stop because of invisible fence.
Doin it's job well it seems.
Very populated development with a lot children...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

gaptrick wrote:" Hello George...? This is Carmen... Afraid I need to file a claim. Just got bit by a dog... Who's dog you ask...? Well that would be yours." HA!
I won't get bit...but I will teach the dog a lesson and also the owner....