My OHSP stop friday grrrrr

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ShadowMech

My OHSP stop friday grrrrr

Post by ShadowMech »

Hey everyone,

I was reading through the pages and seeing the amount of harassment by the ohio state patrol. I had my own run in last friday near wilmington.

I was on my motorcycle going to work so therefore not armed. I passed a pickup that was weaving from white line to yellow line for several miles. Of course there is a state trooper coming the other way (couldnt tell it was a cop) and he pulls me over for speeding. I'm on my motorcyle, so therefore he could see every movement. I stop the bike, put the kickstand down, turn off the ignition (which is on the side of the bike, lift my helmet, then return both hands to the handlebars. The cop comes up and is immediately hostile and rude. I give him my DL and insurance as he requests. He demands I pull my kickstand up and put both feet on the ground so I cant run away. This irritates me, but I comply.

He goes back to his car, then returns quickly. He asks if I have my weapon on me, and why didn't I notify him. I told him I was going to work, and therefore not armed since its not permitted at the airport. He said I was fiddling around and he couldn't see me and I could have been pulling a weapon. I told him that since I was not armed, I had no requirement to notify. I point to the ignition on the side of my bike and told him I was turning it off as I was supposed to, and that I was on a motorcycle and he could clearly see every movement since it was not impeded by anything like it would in a car. He proceeds to berate me loudly saying I had better learn the law as I have to notify all the time, armed or not.

Now I am getting irritated because of his attitude and yelling at me, and unprofessional behavior, especially since he was clearly wrong. I tell him that I have to know the law better than he does, because its what keeps my freedoms safe from people that clearly don't know it, and there is no requirement to notify if I am not armed. His response was asking me if I wanted to get ticketed for that also. I told him to go ahead as I am clearly right, and it will show that he needs additional training.

He returns and gives me a ticket for speeding, no mention of failing to notify. I'm going to court to try to fight the ticket, both because of his attitude, and it was a safety thing for me to be ahead of an erratic driver since I had traffic behind me. I may force it to make him appear so that I can provide him a copy of the law so that he can be properly trained. Yes it has irritated me that much, and I don't care if it costs me more money at this point. His actions were completely inexcusable.

I plan on filing a formal complaint against this officer. However I cannot read his scribbles for his name on the ticket or a badge number. Does anyone know of a way to get it? I plan on asking when I go to court Wednesday. Also how would one go about finding the best point of contact, his station post etc so that I could file the complaint?

Thanks
Charlton Heston wrote:
No one should be made to feel shame for obeying both the law and the Constitution of the United States of America!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: My OHSP stop friday grrrrr

Post by evan price »

I had a similar run-in with an OSHP trooper a few years back who did basically the same thing. The patrol post should be listed on the ticket, and I would advise walking in and politely asking to speak to the watch commander about a problem with a trooper. Remain polite and calm and stick to facts. In my case the watch commander wanted to see the video and talk to the trooper but he called me in a day or two and scheduled a follow up meeting where things got resolved.

Odds are you won't get out of the speeding ticket. That's part of the game anyway, they require at least two court appearances for a not guilty plea so it means you take off more time from work than the ticket is worth. Once the ticket is turned in to the court there's nothing the patrol can do about it anyway, it's "in the system".
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
BobK

Post by BobK »

evan price wrote: . . .you won't get out of the speeding ticket....
Agreed. If you say you were speeding to get away from a situation, all you have done is admitted you were speeding.

You had other choices, including pulling over and letting that driver get a mile ahead of you before resuming.

However, you can and should make sure that the issue of misconduct is addressed. Make sure you submit a written open records request when you lodge your written complaint.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

BobK wrote:
Agreed. If you say you were speeding to get away from a situation, all you have done is admitted you were speeding.

You had other choices, including pulling over and letting that driver get a mile ahead of you before resuming.

However, you can and should make sure that the issue of misconduct is addressed. Make sure you submit a written open records request when you lodge your written complaint.
And we have yet another example of why you should carry a recording device at all times, and record all LEO interactions.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

deanimator wrote:
BobK wrote:

And we have yet another example of why you should carry a recording device at all times, and record all LEO interactions.
I agree that an audio recording would have been nice. But, seeing that the OP was on his motorcycle that makes it a bit more difficult. Imagine how it may have gone down if the officer, who was already upset with him for reaching down to turn bike off, had seen him reach in his pocket.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Notification needs to go away.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ShadowMech

Post by ShadowMech »

fisher wrote:Notification needs to go away.
I agree, since this couldda been ugly with the cops attitude. I wasn't armed, yet he knew it from my plates. The second officer clearly had no problems, yet he saw the same information. Both were from the same post so more ammo for me.

Besides what is a "timely manner" especially when a cop wont let ya interupt them to notify, and then gets upset when you are interupting them. Sorry its too vague and too easy to get caught.

In my case being told I had to have my kickstand up on unstable shoulder, then take my ahdns off my handlebars to deal with the ticket, because "I might run away" being treated like a criminal when I am not, and have many high level background checks beyond my ccw is rediculous.
Charlton Heston wrote:
No one should be made to feel shame for obeying both the law and the Constitution of the United States of America!
docachna

Post by docachna »

Agenda for your meeting with the post commander:

1) Your trooper is completely ignorant of the law with respect to notification to law enforcement of concealed carry;

2) Your trooper was unnecessarily rude and antagonistic throughout the entire contact, and had no good reason for taking the approach that he took.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.... :evil:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Troopers are generally assigned to work the county you go to court in. Now, that's not saying you can't be in Hamilton County and a trooper get you as he's cutting through Clermont county and cite you there.

With that said, I'd start with what county are you going to court in? After you figure that out, go here.... OSHP Patrol Posts by County. Then you can contact that post. Hopefully they are using some form of in house records management system and the dispatcher at the post should be able to tell you who the supervisor was.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

ShadowMech wrote:

In my case being told I had to have my kickstand up on unstable shoulder, then take my ahdns off my handlebars to deal with the ticket, because "I might run away" being treated like a criminal when I am not, and have many high level background checks beyond my ccw is rediculous.
I would not have put my kickstand up, period. My bike weighs 25 pounds short of a half ton. I would not balance it for him. He could pull me off, he could prone me out, but between my recorder and his he would pay. Unless this is being taught at the academy I believe it may void his immunity.
bzink

Post by bzink »

I would not have put my kickstand up, period.
Failure to comply with a lawful request. I've gotten hit with one of those before for something similarly stupid. I've hated the language of that law ever since. They can basically ask you to do anything that's not illegal and you have to do it or pay the state more money. Like we're little puppets.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

He can charge me with whatever he wants, If I have an LEO order me to "put my kickstand up" so I don't run away, I'm going to politely tell him to pound sand.

My cellphone is mounted to my windshield on my bike. I can have my video camera running before I even stop the bike.

I recently went through a DUI checkpoint in Middletown while on my bike. The LEO (Butler County Sheriff deputy) started on his schpiel. I cut him off and informed. (I was open carrying but, being on a motor vehicle, figured it would still be a requirement) He was polite but "jokingly" asked "You aren't going to shoot me are you". I ignored his comment and he proceeded with his statement about why they were there and sent me on my way. He never asked a single question. (Other than if I was going to shoot him or not) :roll: . Overall, his demeanor was pleasant, and Im sure it was just his attempt at humor. I should have answered with a "Not unless you give me a reason", but I just went on my way.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

bzink wrote:
I would not have put my kickstand up, period.
Failure to comply with a lawful request. I've gotten hit with one of those before for something similarly stupid. I've hated the language of that law ever since. They can basically ask you to do anything that's not illegal and you have to do it or pay the state more money. Like we're little puppets.
He cannot by order put me at risk, either life or property. He could have just demanded the keys.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

ShadowMech wrote:
I agree, since this couldda been ugly with the cops attitude. I wasn't armed, yet he knew it from my plates. The second officer clearly had no problems, yet he saw the same information. Both were from the same post so more ammo for me.

Besides what is a "timely manner" especially when a cop wont let ya interupt them to notify, and then gets upset when you are interupting them. Sorry its too vague and too easy to get caught.

It could have been really ugly. Be very careful on the bike.

Ottawa Hills Police Shoot unarmed Biker in the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBPCjfe8G4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Probably not a good idea to continue a discussion about shooting police officers. :roll: Just sayin'.

When something like this happens we always assume the officer is ignorant of the law and needs more training. I am starting to question that assumption. CC has been the law for a decade now and I have to believe encountering CHL holders is not a rare occurrence for most officers. I also question why no citation was issued in this case if the officer felt so strongly about the issue.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member