When your shooting buddy dies...

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bearkitty

When your shooting buddy dies...

Post by bearkitty »

...and his only living relative is under a federal firearms disability?!?! I'm not joking.

Kid was 30 and never wakes up one morning. We swap guns like candy because we're both legal in every sense imaginable and his property is prime target practice ground.

But one day he doesn't wake up. Two of my guns were in his house, which I am now not allowed to enter, because I am not the next of kin. Remember that the only next of kin is a felon under disability.

The sheriff is not asking for anything I can't provide. I should be able to reclaim my firearms this week

Luckily, my guns were not in a locked safe. Because now, they'd be county property and I'd never get them back. I have the combo, but unless I am invited in to take possession of the firearms, the ONLY living relative is under disability!!

This has been a mess. What plans to you have in place for such an event??? Have you even thought about it??
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: When your shooting buddy dies...

Post by Sevens »

He's your shooting buddy, 30 years old and he died?!
Horrendous loss for you! :cry: What on Earth happened?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
farblue

Post by farblue »

Wow. I am sorry to hear about your shooting buddy.

Honestly, that's a situation I never imagined I'd be in. Although I've never left a firearm at someone's house, I can think of a few situations where that might happen...

I can't even imagine going through that - I have proof of ownership of all the firearms I've bought through FFL's (of course) but if I were to purchase a firearm from a private party, I don't know what I'd do.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Wow. Sorry to hear of your loss. :(
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
docachna

Post by docachna »

farblue wrote:Wow. I am sorry to hear about your shooting buddy.

Honestly, that's a situation I never imagined I'd be in. Although I've never left a firearm at someone's house, I can think of a few situations where that might happen...

I can't even imagine going through that - I have proof of ownership of all the firearms I've bought through FFL's (of course) but if I were to purchase a firearm from a private party, I don't know what I'd do.
One of the big reasons I take full-length photos, and close up photos, of all my weapons, including closeups that show the serial number. It may not be dispositive, but it's some really good evidence that I had some possessory interest in the gun. Nice in case of theft as well.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Devil's advocate says that if there were laws requiring a FFL transfer in ALL transfers, Bearkitty would have a paper trail to prove her ownership beyond a shadow of a doubt...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

gaptrick wrote:Devil's advocate says that if there were laws requiring a FFL transfer in ALL transfers, Bearkitty would have a paper trail to prove her ownership beyond a shadow of a doubt...
Because more laws are always the best solution? :roll:
Voice

Post by Voice »

gaptrick wrote:Devil's advocate says that if there were laws requiring a FFL transfer in ALL transfers, Bearkitty would have a paper trail to prove her ownership beyond a shadow of a doubt...
Devils advocate says that in that scenario Bearkitty would have been guilty of a felony by leaving his firearms in his shooting buddy's house. (Because even handing a gun to someone to try out at a range is considered a 'transfer' under most of those proposed laws. So, leaving them completely under someone else's control certainly would be considered such.)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I don't believe that is correct, I believe there -is- allowance for use of guns, but I would be happy to see something tangible in either direction to further my knowledge base.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Voice

Post by Voice »

Sevens wrote:I don't believe that is correct, I believe there -is- allowance for use of guns, but I would be happy to see something tangible in either direction to further my knowledge base.
There were several versions of those bills proposed (nationally, and in various states) that had the term 'transfer' so broadly defined that, if you wanted a gunsmith to work on your firearm, you *might* have been able to argue it wasn't a transfer *if, and only if,* you were present for the entire time the work was being done, and said firearm never left your sight. They defined 'transfer' as a change in possession *or control*. Hand a friend your firearm on a rented lane at the range, and he/she now has 'control' of it. Transfer. Hand a rifle or shotgun to your daughter on a hunting trip? Transfer. She hands it back? Another transfer.

I don't have a link to example texts handy, unfortunately. Fortunately, none for those pieces if legislative absurdity became law.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Oh heck, I thought you were saying that those *are* transfers. You were saying that in the quoted "devil's advocate" bit, we'd be buried under that nonsense... which we currently are not.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

My condolences on the passing of your friend.
A shooting buddy is more than a friend, especially one with whom you freely traded as you did: that speaks of a level of trust that's not commonly found.
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

Just a little update and some more to the story:

We still don't know exactly what happened. The coroner ruled it Natural Causes. He was a big guy that snored like a hibernating bear. One of 2 things happened - he quit breathing, or his heart stopped. It doesn't really even matter which came first at this point.

One of the guns he had was a Winchester shotgun that my Mother got after my Grandfather passed 1978. It was at least WWII era from what we know. My friend restored it for me. We had planned to shoot it the following weekend. It finally saw range time this month, and it works as good as new.

The other gun was a PK90 I bought that had a hair trigger I did not like. He swapped out the trigger for me. I had planned to pick this one up along with the Winchester and do a little old-school-slingshot-trap shooting. That one still needs help, lol.

Meanwhile, I had projects the shop was doing for him. Those "returns" were able to stay off the books as the Band Of Brothers (and me) rallied to take care of each other. I am told that an Uncle, who is a Vet and a Mason, was allowed to take possession of the other guns. There are a few I'd gladly buy, but I am sure they will not be offered. They've probably all been sold by now anyway. I do hope they found good homes.

Thank you for all of the kind words! It is a loss we feel every day, but we are putting one foot in front of the other.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.