my nephew last night

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

Re: my nephew last night

Post by tbrew85 »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I know the Ohio gun orgs are against preemption on knives but I cant agree. I have found very few places that forgot include with gun "or other deadly weapon"in their posting. There needs to be uniformity on all self defense tools and there needs to be constitutional carry all of them.
Im not very familiar with knife rights. Why would Ohio gun orgs be against preemption on knives?
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

tbrew85 wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I know the Ohio gun orgs are against preemption on knives but I cant agree. I have found very few places that forgot include with gun "or other deadly weapon"in their posting. There needs to be uniformity on all self defense tools and there needs to be constitutional carry all of them.
Im not very familiar with knife rights. Why would Ohio gun orgs be against preemption on knives?
Just my reading of the tea leaves here, but: I'd say that OFCC and BFA honchos would, if asked, not put knife law preemption anywhere near the top of their "things to bring up at the Statehouse" list. In fact I think I've heard one or two of our "top brass" state that in conversation through the years.

But honestly we probably should put a bit of effort in that direction at some point. I've been carrying a knife of some kind for about 46 of my 52 years and only got LEO-hassled about it one time (at the age of 17) but it still creates a possibility of needless, harassment, detainment, confiscation, even arrest. Depending on what town you are in and how the individual cop you run into likes to roll.

Stupid as it may seem I can easily imagine an officer who wants to be less than kind not saying or doing anything about a legally carried handgun (especially if one is licensed to conceal it) but feeling he needs to "win" so goes after the fact you've got a Kershaw clipped to your pants pocket. I'd say that would be more likely to happen to a younger carrier than a greybeard like some of us here, but who knows?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I can understand gun rights groups not actively fighting for knife rights issues, thats not their thing. Where Im confused is the comment about being AGAINST preemption for knives, and why that would be the case.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

CroManGun wrote:It is my understanding that a refusal of breathalyzer test results in an automatic one year driver's license suspension. How is this "in the end, you will come out better"?
Because if they refuse the test, they have a better of chance of getting acquitted at trial. And if they get convicted, their licenses will be suspended, anyway.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Michael

Post by Michael »

CroManGun wrote:
AmendII71 wrote:It is my understanding that a refusal of breathalyzer test results in an automatic one year driver's license suspension. How is this "in the end, you will come out better"?
Even if they suspended it, they will likely give you a waiver to drive to/from work.

Here's my advice: if you have not been drinking, then you should obviously submit to all the tests. If you have been drinking, and think you may be over the limit, you should do the following:

1. Refuse all tests.
2. When he asks, "How much have you had to drink?" do NOT say "Just one beer" or whatever. Do NOT say you have - or have not - been drinking. Simply remain silent.
3. Do not answer any questions.
4. Remain quiet, polite, and calm. Do not resist in any way.

Of course, you should not be drinking and driving in the first place...
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

If it is ever posted or reported that I have been caught drinking and driving, you can rest assured it is a damned lie.. IN MY LIFE I drank a half of a beer and drove 2 blocks once.. thats the extent of my drinking and driving.. HOWEVER I will NOT submit to a field sobriety test. I will not be their monkey show. A breathalyzer yes but I am not doing their sideshow.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I don't think I could pass a field sobriety test stone cold sober.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I have not had any adult beverages in over 14 years. I do have some issues with balance and standing. Couple of years ago, a LEO friend walked me through the test. I failed abysmally. He suggested I take the Breathalizer, then demand a blood draw. I haven't been stopped by the paddy rollers, for a driving offense, in decades.