my nephew last night

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OHIOSTEVE

my nephew last night

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Last night my nephew got stopped leaving a local bar. He claims he had ONE beer. The cop made him do the roadside monkey test which he passed no problem ( so he probably did have one beer) there was a hunting knife laying on his front seat so the cop wrote him a ticket for a concealed weapon....does that even sound right?
color of law
*** Banned ***

Re: my nephew last night

Post by color of law »

Your nephew needs a good attorney. I said a good attorney. What was the RAS? A hunting knife is not necessarily a weapon.

Most complaints don't properly allege a charge, they're defective on their face.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

well unfortunately he just told me the cop asked him why he had it and he told the cop for protection... I think he is toast since he said that..and he cannot afford ( not doesn't WANT to afford, CAN'T) an attorney.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

I am dense this morning... what is RAS? if it is what I think it is.. he was leaving a bar and got stopped and put through a field sobriety test which he passed easily.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

RAS = Reasonable Articulable Suspicion. Basically, to make it a legal stop, the law says that the officer has to have reasonable articulable suspicion that you are violating the law in some form. Exiting a bar does not constitute RAS for a stop. The officer needs something more than that.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

OHIOSTEVE wrote:... there was a hunting knife laying on his front seat so the cop wrote him a ticket for a concealed weapon....does that even sound right?
In the car is not readily observable, making it "concealed ready at hand". So yeah, it "sounds valid" (not going to call it "right"). Of course, he can challenge whether or not he should have been stopped, but if that holds up, a knife on the front seat in plain sight that he says he has for protection is a problem.

That is not a "ticket", that is a first degree misdemeanor, punishable by 6 months in jail.
RC 2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;
. . .
(F) (1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of carrying concealed weapons. Except as otherwise provided in this division or division (F)(2) of this section, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (A) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree.
For people who do not carry loaded firearms in the car, the most prudent bet in my opinion is to have access to a cane or pepper spray.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
docachna

Post by docachna »

....The cop made him do the roadside monkey test...
Just to be clear, you are not required to submit to a "roadside monkey test" (a/k/a field sobriety). That's not to say LE can't make your life more unpleasant if you decline to walk the line, but there is no penalty under the law for refusing.

Many attorneys who specialize in DUI arrests recommend you routinely pass on the field sobriety. Make them act on what they already have. I tend to agree with that advice in general. You either have enough already to arrest me or you don't (and think about it - if they thought they had a provable case already, they wouldn't bother with the field sobriety).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

docachna wrote:
Just to be clear, you are not required to submit to a "roadside monkey test" (a/k/a field sobriety). That's not to say LE can't make your life more unpleasant if you decline to walk the line, but there is no penalty under the law for refusing.

Many attorneys who specialize in DUI arrests recommend you routinely pass on the field sobriety. Make them act on what they already have. I tend to agree with that advice in general. You either have enough already to arrest me or you don't (and think about it - if they thought they had a provable case already, they wouldn't bother with the field sobriety).

Correct me if I am wrong, I think you get an automatic 6 month suspension though, which is better than taking the test and failing it.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

I THINK that is only if you refuse a breathalyzer.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Chemical test refusals only (breath, blood, urine).
MyWifeSaidYes
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Chemical test refusals only (breath, blood, urine).
Can you refuse a breath test and tell them you will agree to a blood test? Or is it up to the officer/department which test they want to administer?

Personally, I trust the accuracy of a blood test much more than a breath test.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Was the alleged weapon (the knife) confiscated and a receipt issued? And, what was the ORC law cited on the ticket...what was the charge on the ticket.If he is indeed facing a max of 6 month in the pokey, he should get an attorney vs. lost wages (not working) etc. Any previous involvements?
''Mercy of the court'' to go to jail on off work days, or reduced charges etc. is not the way to go IMHO.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

It's a valid charge, he admitted it was a weapon. He's lucky he didn't go to jail on the spot. Some courts may not like the charge. He needs to contact an attorney, public defender if he has no other option.

A lot of people keep large knives above sun visors and tucked between seats. A surprising amount of those people will freely admit to LE they carry those knives as weapons.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12

He may have a defense to the charge (affirmative defense, look under D1 and D2)
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

yes he has had some previous encounters.. thats why they stopped him I am sure...not an angle by any stretch but not someone who is gonna steal from you or anything like that.. yes i THINK the knife was confiscated...cop acted like no big deal but I gotta get SOMETHING out of this stop.
docachna

Post by docachna »

wobblygoblin wrote:
docachna wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, I think you get an automatic 6 month suspension though, which is better than taking the test and failing it.
As already posted, chemical tests only. You are not required to help him make his case against you. That, and...put a cork in it. Save your cracks about him until he's not there.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE