acting violent and threats

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: acting violent and threats

Post by Cruiser »

Avoid eye contact, pretend you didn't hear him and leave.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Tweed Ring wrote:
An apology, proffered in a sincere manner, even if insincere, costs one nothing. Using the honorific “Sir” in a pleasant tone, again simply costs one nothing. If these tactics defuse the situation, fine. If not, one has a better claim to the coveted “victim status” if the situation goes sideways.

This may well be the most valuable statement of the entire thread.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

pirateguy191 wrote:Just curious as to the general location that this happened.
Me too.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Tweed Ring wrote:I believe I would have politely apologized and, while apologizing, referred to the other person as “Sir” no matter who was at fault.
I don't apologize for things I didn't do, to ANYBODY.

I'm polite to strangers, but in no way friendly.

One may quibble over what my purpose on this earth is.

I GUARANTEE you that it's NOT to masturbate the egos of malignant narcissists and bullies.

Jackasses get silence from me. Generally they take the hint and don't get the alternative.

In order to be called "sir" by me, you'd better have oak leaves or better on your epaulets, and I'd better be getting a government paycheck.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Cruiser wrote:Avoid eye contact, pretend you didn't hear him and leave.
Look him dead in the eye, say nothing and leave.

I don't exist to entertain imbeciles. If they don't like that, they should hire a juggler.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

deanimator wrote:
Cruiser wrote:Avoid eye contact, pretend you didn't hear him and leave.
Look him dead in the eye, say nothing and leave.

I don't exist to entertain imbeciles. If they don't like that, they should hire a juggler.
While I agree with you in principle, the known fact that you are bringing a firearm into the situation dictates some reasonable attempt to deescalate the situation. We LAC's do not need to be cowardly, but IMHO at least we need to be able to describe how we tried to verbally retreat from the imbecile if it were to end in a serious confrontation.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

deanimator wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:I believe I would have politely apologized and, while apologizing, referred to the other person as “Sir” no matter who was at fault.

I GUARANTEE you that it's NOT to masturbate the egos of malignant narcissists and bullies.

Jackasses get silence from me. Generally they take the hint and don't get the alternative.

In order to be called "sir" by me, you'd better have oak leaves or better on your epaulets, and I'd better be getting a government paycheck.
Good for you. We each carve our own path. Obviously, you are a man, and a man’s man, and also a manly man...

I choose not to wear foliage on my clothing as it interferes with my driving, blowing about when the top is down on my roadster…
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

tempest580 wrote:yesterday me and a couple of friends were shopping at wallmart we got what we needed and left while walking to my friends car a van cuts in front of us to pull into a space and gives us a dirty look as we walk around his van, about half way to the car i tuck my {inappropriate language} behind my gun to stop it from rubbing my side ( i have a ccw ) the driver of the van gets out and starts yelling about how i threatened him with my gun and how he is a veteran and served in iraq. i told him i made no threats to him and he kept yelling and acting aggressive i just walked away and told him to {inappropriate language} off, he told my friend that he needs to get a hold of me because he was gonna kick my butt or something. would love to hear your guys thoughts on this.
Ok, I will give it a shot.

1. You are probably less than 30 years old.
2. A "dirty look" somehow constitutes a challenge.
3. You displayed your CCW, under the "context" it was rubbing you.
4. While legally carrying your firearm, engaged someone with verbal profanity. (over "perceived" disrespect)

That is my take on this.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

sd790 wrote:While I agree with you in principle, the known fact that you are bringing a firearm into the situation dictates some reasonable attempt to deescalate the situation. We LAC's do not need to be cowardly, but IMHO at least we need to be able to describe how we tried to verbally retreat from the imbecile if it were to end in a serious confrontation.
I have no intention of bringing a firearm into a situation unless it's going to be used, and not as a badge of authority or symbol of "manhood".

My advice to strangers:
  • I'm not interested in you. Leave me alone.
  • Don't invite my interest by NOT leaving me alone.
  • You own the responsibility for the consequences of not following the above sage words of advice.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Tweed Ring wrote:Obviously, you are a man, and a man’s man, and also a manly man...
No, I'm somebody who doesn't molest strangers. Strangers would be advised to return the favor.

If they don't that's on them.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

deanimator wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:Obviously, you are a man, and a man’s man, and also a manly man...
No, I'm somebody who doesn't molest strangers. Strangers would be advised to return the favor.

If they don't that's on them.
I agree it is wrong to molest strangers. It’s also wrong to molest acquaintances, and it’s wrong to molest family members, as well. When I worked in the Grey Bar Hotel, I met a number of molesters. With few exceptions, they did bad time.

If you might take a bit of free advice, I suggest you continue the no-molestation program.
tempest580

Post by tempest580 »

deanimator wrote:

Wish there was a likey button for this
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

I like this advice from General James Mattis

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

I will be completely honest. I love Walmart. I shop there all the time. However, in the parking lot, inside the store, in the checkout or wherever in places such as this, I am usually very cautious and alert to people (other names inserted here) like this. They seem to be everywhere these days. Look both ways very slowly before walking across the parking lot. Wait until it is completely clear before walking and then do not make eye contact with anyone while walking to vehicle............................. :wink:
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Please don't be paranoid....just be aware of your surroundings. And have access to your protection if needed in a second...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens