Proud Momma Moment

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bearkitty

Proud Momma Moment

Post by bearkitty »

I am the CHLer in the house, but the cars my kids drive are titled and registered to me. I've posted about that a few times. I had feared that the kids would get pulled over and questioned/fished, so we had LONG LONG LONG talks about what to say, what not to say, and how to politely give answers to 'possibly' intrusive questions.

Well, it finally happened. Junior (not his real name) got pulled over in Bethel recently. The stop was entirely routine at the start, though I am sure the LEO knew my CHL status from the plates. Props to the LEO for quickly realizing that a 6'5" young man of 19yrs was not his 5'4" momma of a few more years. However.....

The stop led to LEO asking for permission to search the car!

Junior told LEO, as he had been coached, that he could not grant permission to search because the car belonged to me, and my permission would be required for any search. LEO responded something along the lines of "OK, we'll just call the dogs". LEO then heads back to his cruiser. I am sure Jr was sweating this out in horrendous fashion and wondering if he'd really done the right thing while waiting for the K9 to arrive. A little sweat never hurts. :lol:

A few minutes later though, Jr is allowed to proceed to his destination. No ticket, no warning, just a 'drive safe' type of see ya later.

I think they both (LEO and Jr) did a good job with the encounter! If you have young drivers please realize that they are not ever taught these things in driver's ed. We as parents have to teach them their rights. Especially if you know as I did, that something like this was bound to happen to them (young man out late at night). I know 100% that there was nothing in the car to get Jr in trouble, and so did he. I am very proud that he did not willingly subject himself to a search. I am happy that LEO knew there was no reason to call K9.

Much love to all LEO's who can press a kid and know when the bust is on them, lol.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
BriKuz

Re: Proud Momma Moment

Post by BriKuz »

Though I am glad it worked out well for your child, I certainly wouldn't call an LEO fishing for permission to search a "good encounter!" I CERTAINLY wouldn't call threatening a K-9 sniff a "good encounter!" The only reason your son wasn't searched was that the K-9 unit was too far away. Why was the stop initiated in the first place? Was your son actually doing something wrong?
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

I would NEVER consider a LEO on a fishing expedition a good encounter. Let's not get lulled into an acceptance of those tactics just because no further action, beyond the threat, was taken. Good to see that you trained your son well.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

You did good! Your son did good! And, well, the cop was being a cop and decided to go fishing. :x The only thing that stopped the K9 sniffing expedition was that it would have taken too long for them to arrive and would have lengthened the stop beyond what is permissible.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

The officer threatening to call the K-9 unit is totally uncalled for and kudos to your son for standing his ground. I'd request a meeting with the officer and ask him point blank why he asked for permission to search the car and why did he THEN say he was going to call the dogs with no suspicion or RAS that there were drugs or other hanky panky going on.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BobK

Post by BobK »

Javelin Man wrote:The officer threatening to call the K-9 unit is totally uncalled for and kudos to your son for standing his ground. I'd request a meeting with the officer and ask him point blank why he asked for permission to search the car and why did he THEN say he was going to call the dogs with no suspicion or RAS that there were drugs or other hanky panky going on.
Cops are allowed to lie as an interrogation technique. Threaten to call the dogs and watch for the reaction. If the driver panics and attempts to flee, that fishing bobber just started hopping.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Reason for stop :?: Inquiring minds would like to know. :?
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Yeah I'd like to know too since no ticket or warning was handed out.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Proud of him for doing all the right things when stopped by a jerk cop?! For sure!

Proud of -YOU- for teaching all of that, apparently well enough that he followed through completely?! OH YEAH! :D

You should definitely be happy that he came through, but you've got to be awfully proud of your role in it. Extremely well done! 8)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
docachna

Post by docachna »

CroManGun wrote:Reason for stop :?: Inquiring minds would like to know. :?
/\ +1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Alright - I'll join in. (I'm gonna go with LEO was thinking curfew violation). Would like to know why the stop was initiated - no ticket, no warning.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

My guess is the offense was DW19LAN (driving while 19 late at night). You taught your children well and it paid off, perhaps more than you will ever know. I would never be 100% sure there was nothing compromising in my vehicle. Has your car ever been in a repair shop? Has anybody other than your own family ever been in the car? Ever use valet parking?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
docachna

Post by docachna »

WestonDon wrote:My guess is the offense was DW19LAN (driving while 19 late at night). You taught your children well and it paid off, perhaps more than you will ever know. I would never be 100% sure there was nothing compromising in my vehicle. Has your car ever been in a repair shop? Has anybody other than your own family ever been in the car? Ever use valet parking?
Last time I utilized the valet service at a nice Nashville restaurant, the car was brought up by the nice-looking young man, but when I went to the driver's door, I saw lying on the driver's seat cushion a small bindle containing a green leafy substance which I reasonably believed to be marijuana...............Picked it up, held it up, and shouted at him, "HEY - DUDE - YOU DROPPED SOMETHING !!!".

:oops: :oops: :P :P
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

I am sorry for the late reply. There's just too much going on ALL the time these days.

He got pulled over for speeding. LEO says he was doing 44 in a 35. LEO also thought he smelled something. I presume that was Jr's stinky basketball shoes in the back seat. lol.

Jr and I both know that WE didn't have anything of note inside that car. Has it been in for service....yeah. Had there been friends in the car recently....yeah. Had anyone else driven the car...yeah.

Was there ANY reason for a request to search - apparently not. I doubt that K9 was too far away if LEO really thought he smelled something. I believe it was a scare tactic. The kid didn't flinch, and he was let go.

I know a few LEO pretty well. I want to believe he was just doing his job. He did it pretty well in this case. Had the dogs actually been called in, I would have had a serious problem with it.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

Just curious.

If you can refuse the initial search by the LEO... why can't you also refuse the canine search?