Proud Momma Moment

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

Re: Proud Momma Moment

Post by tbrew85 »

LOL...Reminds me of my daughter...

A few years ago, my daughter, who was 18 at the time, and her boyfriend, went to another friends house for a party. They were standing on the front porch with the 18 year old resident of the home when Monroe police showed up. The officers walked up on the porch and stated they had a report of underage drinking and walked towards the front door stating "lets go in and talk about this". My daughter, who is a petite 5'2" girl, stepped in front of the lead police officer and asked "Officer, do you have a warrant to enter this house"? The officer became angry and asked her "What did you say little girl"? She repeated her question. He responded "Little girl, you go over there (pointing to an area a few feet away) and do what you do and let me go in here and do what I do". He then looked at the girl that lived there and said "Lets go inside". She was terrified and went in with the officer. My daughter and her boyfriend left the home and came home and told me about it. As she was telling me about it, her friend called her to say that the officer had said that if my daughter would have said another word he would have arrested her.

No under age drinking citations were handed out.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Yeah some cops can be jack booted thugs.... I remember one time I pulled up on a license check point. The sheriffs deputy asked for my license, insurance and registration... I handed it all to him, his buddy ran my tag and then he handed my papers back with a disappointed look, I just smiled.... He then proceeded to ask me where I had been and where I was going... I politely told him it was none of his business where I had been or where I was going, that I had proven that I had license, insurance and a valid tag to drive anywhere at anytime in the state of Alabama that I wanted to... And that he had crossed the line and was violating my 4th amendment rights... That ticked him off and he called me a smarta**, to which I responded calling him a dumba**... I told him we could call each other names all night, but I would rather be on my way unless he was detaining me... He curtly told me to leave.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Voice

Post by Voice »

CincyKid wrote:Just curious.

If you can refuse the initial search by the LEO... why can't you also refuse the canine search?
IIRC, bringing in the dog 'is not a search' because anything it smells is 'in plain sight' (to the dog). :roll:
Rocky
*** Banned ***

Post by Rocky »

bearkitty wrote:I am the CHLer in the house, but the cars my kids drive are titled and registered to me. I've posted about that a few times. I had feared that the kids would get pulled over and questioned/fished, so we had LONG LONG LONG talks about what to say, what not to say, and how to politely give answers to 'possibly' intrusive questions.

Well, it finally happened. Junior (not his real name) got pulled over in Bethel recently. The stop was entirely routine at the start, though I am sure the LEO knew my CHL status from the plates. Props to the LEO for quickly realizing that a 6'5" young man of 19yrs was not his 5'4" momma of a few more years. However.....

The stop led to LEO asking for permission to search the car!

Junior told LEO, as he had been coached, that he could not grant permission to search because the car belonged to me, and my permission would be required for any search. LEO responded something along the lines of "OK, we'll just call the dogs". LEO then heads back to his cruiser. I am sure Jr was sweating this out in horrendous fashion and wondering if he'd really done the right thing while waiting for the K9 to arrive. A little sweat never hurts. :lol:

A few minutes later though, Jr is allowed to proceed to his destination. No ticket, no warning, just a 'drive safe' type of see ya later.

I think they both (LEO and Jr) did a good job with the encounter! If you have young drivers please realize that they are not ever taught these things in driver's ed. We as parents have to teach them their rights. Especially if you know as I did, that something like this was bound to happen to them (young man out late at night). I know 100% that there was nothing in the car to get Jr in trouble, and so did he. I am very proud that he did not willingly subject himself to a search. I am happy that LEO knew there was no reason to call K9.

Much love to all LEO's who can press a kid and know when the bust is on them, lol.
I'm not sure I see what was so good about the LEO encounter!!!! If it was a as you call it routine stop why on earth would he ask to search the car, then threaten him with a K9 walk around????????????????????
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

Voice wrote:IIRC, bringing in the dog 'is not a search' because anything it smells is 'in plain sight' (to the dog). :roll:
I guess I am kind of ignorant of these things...
Are they satisfied with the dog walking around your closed car? Or do they want the dog to walk through your car? If so, do have you have to submit?
BobK

Post by BobK »

CincyKid wrote:Are they satisfied with the dog walking around your closed car?
The dog walks around the car. The dog "alerts" on your car. That is regarded as probable cause, so they now search the car.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas) ruled that making a person wait more than 10 minutes for a drug dog was an illegal seizure. So if I am ever stopped and threatened with "do you want me to call in the dogs", my answer will be he's got 10 minutes and the clock is ticking.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

BobK wrote:
CincyKid wrote:Are they satisfied with the dog walking around your closed car?
The dog walks around the car. The dog "alerts" on your car. That is regarded as probable cause, so they now search the car.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas) ruled that making a person wait more than 10 minutes for a drug dog was an illegal seizure. So if I am ever stopped and threatened with "do you want me to call in the dogs", my answer will be he's got 10 minutes and the clock is ticking.
And I believe if I recall correctly that ten minute clock starts when you are first pulled over.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

I am proud of my son for not backing down on the "double dog dare ya" moment.

Yes, the dogs could have been called. He would have waited until infinity because he would not have been prepared for that. Maybe the dogs would have alerted something...either via super secret handshake or for some other reason the dog generally, always alerts.....or more likely, it was a bluff because there was no real RAS.

No speeding ticket either. Hmmmmmm.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Webeable

Post by Webeable »

Just curious.

If you can refuse the initial search by the LEO... why can't you also refuse the canine search?

Because if dog reacts it is probable cause.
Rocky
*** Banned ***

Post by Rocky »

Webeable wrote:Just curious.

Because if dog reacts it is probable cause.
Dog isn't going inside of the car, just outside sniffing the air