Westerville PD A++

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wobblygoblin

Westerville PD A++

Post by wobblygoblin »

We moved my elderly dad in with us a little over a month ago (assisted living is expensive). I found him unresponsive on the deck this morning so he's in the hospital.

Anywho, today has been hectic. I was on my way to Meijer to get dog food. I know my registration expires this month as I have a lease. I was going to get the plates renewed today but the ambulance and time in the ER changed my plans. As I was driving on Maxtown I saw a Westerville PD officer in an Expedition behind me in the right lane. I saw him on his radio and I just knew he was checking my plates.

Sure enough, he pulls in behind me and lights me up. I calmly wait with my hazards on and my hands on the steering wheel. He slowly approaches the door and I tell him "I need to tell you officer I have a concealed handgun license and I am currently armed."

He asks where it is, I tell him it's in my IWB on my right side. He calmly says don't reach for it and asks for my id. I tell him it's in my front pocket and I slowly get it out. He asks me about my insurance. It's on my phone but I can't log into the app. I tell him it's through xxx and my agent is actually up the street. "It's updated?" Yep. "Ok, I believe you."

"What are you carrying?" My XD. "Oh, you like that?" Then we chat about guns- the Glock 42 and the that he recently got the Shield in .40. He tells me my plates are 8 days past due and I explain my situation with my dad. He tells me that it can happen to all of us so he was cutting me a break and just to get them renewed Monday.

That was it. My first time being pulled over with my CHL. He was friendly, professional and nice. Westerville PD is very gun friendly. A great interaction.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Westerville PD A++

Post by Cloudwraith »

Good to hear everything went smooth and they cut you a break. I love living in Westerville but all my LEO interactions have happened outside the city so I have yet to interact with them directly. Also, sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he is doing better.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Tweed Ring

Re: Westerville PD A++

Post by Tweed Ring »

I dealt with Westerville PD earlier this month on a public records request. I anticipated some pushback due to the nature of the incident.

The Westerville PD people were helpful, pleasant, and professional; they provided some of the records I requested. They had reasonable explanations for the records they denied providing to me (due to their ongoing investigation.)