Dublin Police A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Dublin Police A+

Post by Cloudwraith »

Last night I was involved in a 4 car collision on 33/270 in Dublin. I was the lead car stopped in front of two other stopped vehicles when an out of stater in a rental car, who must not have realized the traffic pattern slows at that point, slammed into the back of the third vehicle at a good rate of speed. The chain reaction caused the third to hit the second which then hit me. I had given enough space between me and the car in front of me that I did not hit them.

After determining we were all OK, we moved the vehicles off to the right side of the road. Since the offending vehicle's air bag had deployed and the person driving was a bit shocky, 911 was called however after determining no real medical attention was needed they said they would just send an officer. There was another accident about 2 miles to the west on 33 which did require emergency services so I'm sure they were tied up with that. It took about 25 minutes for the officer to finally get to us.

I was sitting in the front passenger side of my car with all of my paperwork including DL and CHL when I noticed the officer moving from vehicle to vehicle starting from the rear. As he approached the second car, I got out and stood by my car waiting for him to approach me. When he was close enough I could talk to him without being overheard by the other drivers I informed him of my CHL status and that I was armed. He responded with "If you don't shoot me, I won't shoot you, fair deal?" in a jovial manner I took as him trying to play down the situation and put me at ease. I said "Fair enough" and handed him my paperwork. He gave me back my CHL and asked me to hang on to it so he didn't drop it, told me to sit tight while he got paperwork going and that he would get back with me.

After filling out the paperwork and handing it back to him he told me his partner was on the way to take some pictures and asked me to stay in my vehicle until everyone else had finished their paperwork. I sat back in my passenger seat and waited while it began to rain pretty hard. About 10 minutes later I noticed another officer working her way through the cars. As it was raining pretty hard I rolled down my window and the female officer stuck her head and shoulders inside my car so she could speak to me. As she did so I informed her as well that I had my CHL and was armed. Her eyes got pretty big and she immediately looked down at my waist. Then she relaxed, said "Thank you" and explained the paperwork she was giving me.

All in all the Dublin officers were very professional and pretty nonchalant towards the CHL aspect of the situation although I think the female officer may have realized her tactical mistake of putting herself at such a disadvantage by sticking her head and shoulders so deep in the vehicle of a person who was armed.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
AmendII71

Re: Dublin Police A+

Post by AmendII71 »

I think the female officer may have realized her tactical mistake of putting herself at such a disadvantage by sticking her head and shoulders so deep in the vehicle of a person who was armed.[/quote]

No kidding................................

Good to hear she did not overreact and ask you to get out and put your hands on the car.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

Glad everything went well, and I hope no one was seriously injured! That interchange is notorious for backups as you described. I had my car fixed a few years ago at the collision repair center on the south/west side of 33-161. The guys working there told me that sometimes during rush hour they take lawn chairs out to the grassy area and watch the pileups and rear-enders on 33. You can almost set your watch by them!
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Thank you for sharing. I hadn't considered the possibility of being approached by two separate officers at separate times like that. Interesting notification scenario.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

While it may have been a tactical error in regards to firearms, the lady cop sticking her entire head in your window is a tactically expedient way to check for alcohol and marijuana odors.

Keep those windows rolled up. You can hear AND pass your ID out with the window down only an inch or two.
MyWifeSaidYes
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:While it may have been a tactical error in regards to firearms, the lady cop sticking her entire head in your window is a tactically expedient way to check for alcohol and marijuana odors.

Keep those windows rolled up. You can hear AND pass your ID out with the window down only an inch or two.

Okay, but wouldn't this make it hard to notify the officer correctly with the windows rolled up?
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AmendII71 wrote:Okay, but wouldn't this make it hard to notify the officer correctly with the windows rolled up?
You can hear AND pass your ID out with the window down only an inch or two.
If you can hear them, they can hear you.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
AmendII71 wrote:Okay, but wouldn't this make it hard to notify the officer correctly with the windows rolled up?
You can hear AND pass your ID out with the window down only an inch or two.
If you can hear them, they can hear you.
Not necessarily true when it's raining. And is your voice the same decible level as the officer? I can hear a military drill Sergeant a half mile away at 4 am in an open field, but he won't be able to hear me.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:While it may have been a tactical error in regards to firearms, the lady cop sticking her entire head in your window is a tactically expedient way to check for alcohol and marijuana odors.
I don't drink or smoke and while that may be prudent advice for most stops I had other pressing concerns at the time. The paperwork she handed me was pretty soaked as is. I can only imagine trying to get the soggy mess through a 1 inch opening. Life is indeed replete with choices...
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Just what ya want, a cop walking up to your car that now believes you are trying to hide drinking/weed smoking.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!