Out of state encounter

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Big Boomer

Out of state encounter

Post by Big Boomer »

This past Tuesday while driving I was stopped by an officer with the Darlington SC PD. After he approached and introduced him self I immediately advised him that I held an Ohio CHL and was legally armed. He asked me where my weapon was, told him concealed on my RIGHT hip. Since I had interrupted him when I notified him he then advised me of the reason for the stop and asked me to produce my license's, registration and proof of insurance. Told him that my licenses were in my LEFT hip pocket, other information requested was in the glove box. I advised him that in order to access my licenses I would have to use my right hand to release the seat belt, the seat belt release being very close to the weapon on my hip. End of discussion concerning the fact that I was armed.

The only reason I mention this incident is that it was a non event to the police officer from the concealed standpoint.
Brian D.

Re: Out of state encounter

Post by Brian D. »

As it should be--although the more places that get rid the notification requirement the better things would become.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I don't know Brian...There is something cool about telling a officer you have a CHL and you are armed... :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I don't know Brian...There is something cool about telling a officer you have a CHL and you are armed... :wink:

True. It's kinda fun.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sig1144 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:I don't know Brian...There is something cool about telling a officer you have a CHL and you are armed... :wink:

True. It's kinda fun.
Not for me. Last notification was during my first speeding ticket in about 18 years. The officer had it partly filled out by the time he walked up to my car, so I was boned in that regard. First thing out of my mouth was the 'I have a carry license and...' spiel, which was pointless that info was given to him over his car's outside speaker before he even got out. He made no mention or even acknowledgement of what I'd told him, in fact just about zero conversation from his end. Only the "I pulled you over because'... speech, and it was very brief. So, I lit up the largest cigar my travel case held and darn it the smoke was going right out the driver's side window at him.

Found out later that the town is known more for writing tickets than anything else. Have made a point of never taking that route east towards TDI again, ever.

********************************************************************************
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Brian D. wrote:Not for me. Last notification was during my first speeding ticket in about 18 years. The officer had it partly filled out by the time he walked up to my car, so I was boned in that regard. First thing out of my mouth was the 'I have a carry license and...' spiel, which was pointless that info was given to him over his car's outside speaker before he even got out. He made no mention or even acknowledgement of what I'd told him, in fact just about zero conversation from his end. Only the "I pulled you over because'... speech, and it was very brief. So, I lit up the largest cigar my travel case held and darn it the smoke was going right out the driver's side window at him.

Found out later that the town is known more for writing tickets than anything else. Have made a point of never taking that route east towards TDI again, ever.
Name of town? Inquiring minds might want to know.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

CroManGun wrote:Name of town? Inquiring minds might want to know.
It starts with an "A" and ends with "melia". From what I've gathered since then, over three years ago, it's best to use SR 32 rather than SR 125 in Clermont and Brown Counties as you're heading towards TDI or other points east. Too bad because whenever time allows I love to drive the old two laners. In fact the morning I met Roscoe P. Coltrane I was heading to the Fun 'n' Gun for Saturday morning set up. It was about 6:30 am so I had plenty of time to spare and just couldn't slow down quick enough where the speed limit drops from 55to45to35to25mph in a span of just a few hundred yards.