Red White Boom crime reporting

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

slidelock

Red White Boom crime reporting

Post by slidelock »

I was considering going to RED WHITE & BOOM and was wondering about crime and the reporting about it. Has anybody got actual crime statistics on that date? I may do an Open records request if necessary. I'm thinking actual crime likely will happen around the end of the program, would be the greatest risk. Interesting, no mention of NO GUNS ALLOWED in the faq.
concreteguy

Re: Red White Boom crime reporting

Post by concreteguy »

Several years ago my wife and sister in law had their purses stolen out of a locked car. They had parked just south of Italian Village. They reported it. The thief even left a full hand print on the window next to the one they broke. The police did the report over the phone and would't even come and look at the car.
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

Why do a records request, you can just do a date based search on CPD's crime report search tool.

Pretty much any big event in any large city will have a higher than normal amount of crime around it. That said, it would be the crowds that would keep me away long before the crime.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Guy who posts/posted on here had a really bad time at Red White and Boom. Columbus cop told me there was so much crime they just try to keep the crowds moving away from downtown at the end of the event.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Here's their online crime mapping...

http://raidsonline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I looked last year and was either looking at the wrong date or they simply didn't have much to go on. I will say most of our events, we have crime (drunk people), but we just send them on the way. Want to push the evenlope? Then we'll be more than happy to arrest for discorderly conduct.

And personally, I don't know how one can compare last year to this year. Different bands will bring different crowds. And different criminals locked up will bring other criminals. 2009 they had a girl shot. Was it part of the event? Rumor was it a party about a mile away. Girl Shot In Chest At Red, White & Boom
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

I still haven't found any rule against guns at the Boom.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

slidelock wrote:I still haven't found any rule against guns at the Boom.
In the past they had it. Interesting, if you search Red White Boom Firearms it brings up OFCC as one of the top hits talking about last year. So, maybe they finally bowed to compliance. :lol:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We had some Open Carriers there in the past,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
roughsawn

Post by roughsawn »

Here's my post from 2012. Never made the news, just editorial letters section of the local paper.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=62698
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thug Hunter

Post by Thug Hunter »

There are problems every year, and shootings maybe half the years, maybe more. I am not aware there has ever been an attempt to prevent lawful CCW. Some private businesses may be posted, but there is no way to legally ban it on sidewalks and (closed) streets.

Problem areas seem to be fairly consistent, with the biggest problems occurring during and just after the show. It is obvious some people are not there for the fireworks. The common problem areas are Broad between Vets Memorial and Front, and Front South of Broad. The shootings of which I am aware happened after the show as people were moving to the East.

Media coverage of problems during RWB is suspiciously lacking. Instead of merely looking at police reports, you should look at 911 calls, and computer aided dispatch (CAD) info. Actual reports would definitely be lower than actual problems. It may be possible to get transcripts or more likely recordings of radio channels used by the PD during the event.
"Luckily, I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an emergency."- Foghorn Leghorn

"You can't arrest somebody for that. The most you can do is mace him and let him get away."- Thug Hunter
thx

Post by thx »

crime at red white and boom is bad enough to be mentioned in Colin Flaherty's book on racial violence and its coverup 'White Girl Bleed Alot'

http://whitegirlbleedalot.com/fourth-of-july/

It appears to coincide with Roughsawns post