Chicken Little: Mall Cop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

Re: Chicken Little: Mall Cop

Post by Klingon00 »

Vex wrote: My judgement in this case is sound. There is very little information about the actual encounter, and too much information about the "chicken little mall cop." A simple analysis of the focus of the post shows the OP doesn't care about the encounter, he's simply upset that some plus-sized security guard maybe called the police, and wondering if she maybe made false statements. You want to talk about someone being judgmental? Direct your attention to the OP.

You're trying to take the moral high ground by accusing me of being preemptively judgmental. Unfortunately, that position was rendered impossible when you insulted an entire profession of tax payers in your first post.
Vex, you make a good point that perhaps the particulars about the description of the security guard was unnecessary and perhaps insulting (plus sized isn't exactly an insult to me), however please go re-read the OP. He didn't actually say that she was the one who made the MWAG call. It may have been implied and she is obviously the prime suspect but I see no direct accusation made by the OP, more like questions. In fact he is trying to get records to see if she was indeed responsible and how, what, why.

What we know is:

1) OP was trying to be a good samaritan and help someone in need.
2) Wind exposed OP's gun right when a security guard passed by.
3) Police arrived shortly afterwards to question OP about his gun (not interested in anything else going on).
4) LEO made false statement about CPZ
5) OP wishes to get public records to find out more about the encounter, if security guard made true or false statements.

Anything I'm missing?
letterofthelaw

Post by letterofthelaw »

Vex wrote:
I don't think questioning the unnecessary statements "young, plus sized, newly hired" is insulting to the OP, per se. How does he know she's newly hired? And does the fact that she's young and "plus sized" have any real impact on the story? Or is the poster simply butthurt over the whole thing, and somehow thinks taking it to the internet is going to make him feel better?

This incident could be used as a way to educate people (in this case, mall security) about the existence of legally carried guns and how to tell the difference. Is insulting the "mall cop" for being inexperienced and fat really the best way to go about that?
Dear Sir or Ma'am,

Your comment of me being "butthurt" is extremely insulting and offensive. I am a survivor of homosexual rape from my childhood. Please think before you speak. Unless of course you wish to open your mouth again and continue to deluge us with your putrid, judgmental, ignorant, insulting, and offensive oral diarrhea.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Also the OP said about all that needed to be said about the encounter itself which was mostly polite and professional. Hardly much more for him to say. In fact, the only questions that seem to be left can only really be answered by the public records.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

L - please read the PM I sent to you.

W
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

IBTL :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Rocky
*** Banned ***

Post by Rocky »

Michael wrote:Were you detained? If so, I am curious what crime you were suspected of committing.
And if you were not detained there is no reason to surrender your DL.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

letterofthelaw wrote:
Werz wrote:
Vex wrote:There is very little information about the actual encounter, and too much information about the "chicken little mall cop." A simple analysis of the focus of the post shows the OP doesn't care about the encounter, he's simply upset that some plus-sized security guard maybe called the police, and wondering if she maybe made false statements. You want to talk about someone being judgmental? Direct your attention to the OP.
Quite a few plus-sized folks amongst the serious activists in this organization. One should know who his friends are.
I do know who my friends are. Please by all means enlighten me on what the correct descriptor is.
When you used the term "young, plus sized, newly hired girl security guard/officer," you knew that it was derogatory, despite the fact that you do not yet have any substantial evidence that the person described was the one who prompted the confrontation.

If you expect Vex to be sensitive to your alleged childhood trauma in his use of the very common Internet term, "butthurt," then it is incumbent upon you to exhibit some of the same sensitivity.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Rocky wrote:
Michael wrote:Were you detained? If so, I am curious what crime you were suspected of committing.
And if you were not detained there is no reason to surrender your DL.
If you being asked to surrender your driver's license, you are being detained for the purpose of identification. If there is reason to believe that you are carrying a concealed handgun, then there is a legal basis to detain you to determine your identity and licensure.
"[A] licensee who has been issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun." R.C. 2923.126(A).
Under Florida law, "[a] person who carries a concealed firearm on or about his person commits a felony of the third degree." (Citation omitted.) Notably, the possession of a valid permit for a concealed weapon is not related to the elements of the crime, but rather is an affirmative defense. (Citations omitted.) Moreover, because reasonable suspicion analysis is not concerned with "hard certainties, but with probabilities," (Citations omitted.) McRae's admission to carrying a concealed weapon was sufficient to justify briefly stopping him before inquiring further about whether he had an affirmative defense in the form of a valid concealed-weapons permit. The Supreme Court has made it abundantly clear that, although an individual may ultimately be engaged in conduct that is perfectly lawful; as turned out to be the case with McRae; officers may "detain the individual[ ] to resolve the ambiguity." United States v. Lewis, 674 F.3d 1298, 1304 (11th Cir. 2012)
The same is true under Ohio law.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

This thread has drifted. Let's keep it firearms related.http://www.lodgewood.com/Colt-Butt-Scre ... _1010.html

:( :) :D :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Tone is often difficult to tell in the written word. I can see how, if read using a negative tone, the OP statements could be considered offensive. I can also see, using a different tonal approach, that the same words are far from offensive.
Last edited by tbrew85 on Fri May 23, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Rocky
*** Banned ***

Post by Rocky »

Vex wrote:So you're mad at the "young, plus sized, newly hired" (you know this how, and how is this important) mall security officer, and insulting her and trying to track down her "false statements," which you're simply assuming exists, is just your way of getting retribution?

:roll:
He's just stating the facts, he's being a good witness that is all. Was he/sshee tall skinny bald you know he was just filling in the blanks.
Rocky
*** Banned ***

Post by Rocky »

letterofthelaw wrote:
Klingon00 wrote:So did the LEO's help out with the breakdown in any way? Nice of the Mall Security and LEO to care more about the legal gun than to help out with someone in obvious motoring distress.

The LEO's had absolutely zero interest in the motoring distress. The driver of the broken down car tried to talk to the LEO's but they said you are fine and waived him away, saying they wanted to talk to me. As soon as they realized that they didn't need to be there the LEO who stayed to talk to me put the car in drive took off.
You know "To Protect and Serve" :roll: :roll:
Vex

Post by Vex »

glocksmith wrote:IBTL :lol:
What a train wreck.

I love the internet.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Rocky wrote:
Vex wrote:So you're mad at the "young, plus sized, newly hired" (you know this how, and how is this important) mall security officer, and insulting her and trying to track down her "false statements," which you're simply assuming exists, is just your way of getting retribution?

:roll:
He's just stating the facts, he's being a good witness that is all. Was he/sshee tall skinny bald you know he was just filling in the blanks.
"Mall security" would have been sufficient. The remaining descriptors were irrelevant. And you know it.
-- BobK
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I finally got to this thread and I'll add a bit....

1) Kenwood Towne Center is sort of posted. They are not posted on the doors but are posted in their code of conduct which can be found inside every entrance and also be found here. IMO....it's not an envelope to push that they are not posted as we would like or it could be pushed the wrong way. Mall security will call into police anyone they see with a gun. It's just a fact and it's going to happen. I hear MWAG calls all the time down there.

2) The Kenwood Towne Center is in the Sycamore Township district of the Hamilton County Sheriff's Department jurisdiction. Unless something has changed in the last few months, the HCSO does not have cameras in their cruisers. Therefore, you won't get any audio or video of the interaction.

3) If you want a public records request of both the call to 911 and the subsequent dispatch, one needs to contact the Hamilton County Communications Center. Their phone number is on the top right corner of that website.

The Towne Center is only about 2 miles outside of my department's jurisdiction and I know the area and operational methods pretty well, so I'll gladly help where I can.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.