Chicken Little: Mall Cop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

letterofthelaw

Chicken Little: Mall Cop

Post by letterofthelaw »

Monday night - May 19, between 6 and 6:30 PM, I was at the big Kenwood Mall in Hamilton County. I think it is also referred to as the Kenwood Towne Center and Sycamore Plaza. Not to be confused with the similar location across the road which has CPZ signs plastered all over.

I went out of my way to help a young man whose car had broken down. He was by his lonesome and looked very distressed. I could tell he had been on the road for a while, when I got closer and saw the license plate was Alaska. He already had the hood open as I greeted him and started to inquire about what was going on and see what's I believe that Sycamore is could be of any help.

The combination of being bent over into the engine bay and a blustery day resulted in my previously concealed pistol becoming plainly visible at the right moment for the young, plus sized, newly hired girl security guard/officer to drive by in the mall security SUV and see it.

A few minutes later two LEO's roll up and call me over. What followed was a mostly polite and professional interaction with them. The LEO I was directly speaking with wanted to see my driver's license and CCW permit which I handed over and he promptly waved the other LEO off. I got both items back in equally short order. He asked a couple questions which anyone with eyeballs and a brain would have known the answer to. Only thing I didn't particularly care for about the interaction was his tone of voice and demeanor when he told me that he knew what the law was. As we parted ways, he made the completely false statement that the property was posted.

Though the video recording in my phone does a great job with conversations, I didn't get this on record since I didn't feel comfortable fishing in my pocket with this being my first experience of the type.

Being as I am now a member of the club for people who have had someone make a MWAG call against them, I'm interested in learning about how to get copies of the 911 call / radio traffic and dash cam / personal officer cameras that may have documented things. I'm curious about what questions the dispatchers asked and if the complainant made false statements befitting the title of Chicken Little or if she made completely truthful and accurate statement.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Sycamore is a township that contracts for a contingent of deputies? The cars which showed up were the black and gold County formats though I was giving my full attention to the LEO.
Tweed Ring

Re: Chicken Little: Mall Cop

Post by Tweed Ring »

The Ohio Public Records Law is your friend. If you get any push-back on your public records request, cite Kish vs. Akron, one of my favorites. Each public entity has a records retention and destruction schedule, so time may not be on your side.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

So did the LEO's help out with the breakdown in any way? Nice of the Mall Security and LEO to care more about the legal gun than to help out with someone in obvious motoring distress.
Vex

Post by Vex »

So you're mad at the "young, plus sized, newly hired" (you know this how, and how is this important) mall security officer, and insulting her and trying to track down her "false statements," which you're simply assuming exists, is just your way of getting retribution?

:roll:
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

See gun, call real cops. Well-versed mall ninja. :|
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Vex wrote:So you're mad at the "young, plus sized, newly hired" (you know this how, and how is this important) mall security officer, and insulting her and trying to track down her "false statements," which you're simply assuming exists, is just your way of getting retribution?

Yeah I'm not sure what we're going for here either. If it was a nasty encounter, I could see wanting to hear how it was called in. Otherwise though, why bother?
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

FormerNavy wrote:
Vex wrote:So you're mad at the "young, plus sized, newly hired" (you know this how, and how is this important) mall security officer, and insulting her and trying to track down her "false statements," which you're simply assuming exists, is just your way of getting retribution?

Yeah I'm not sure what we're going for here either. If it was a nasty encounter, I could see wanting to hear how it was called in. Otherwise though, why bother?
One would assume curiosity as a reason for wanting to know. Or you (vex) could continue to be insulting towards someone. :roll: or is it a mall-ninjas united type of thing?
Vex

Post by Vex »

TJW815 wrote:
FormerNavy wrote:

One would assume curiosity as a reason for wanting to know. Or you (vex) could continue to be insulting towards someone. :roll: or is it a mall-ninjas united type of thing?
I don't think questioning the unnecessary statements "young, plus sized, newly hired" is insulting to the OP, per se. How does he know she's newly hired? And does the fact that she's young and "plus sized" have any real impact on the story? Or is the poster simply butthurt over the whole thing, and somehow thinks taking it to the internet is going to make him feel better?

This incident could be used as a way to educate people (in this case, mall security) about the existence of legally carried guns and how to tell the difference. Is insulting the "mall cop" for being inexperienced and fat really the best way to go about that?
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

It is important that we always get the description of the perpetrator correct! :)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Vex, I cannot speak for the OP but he didn't call her "fat" he said plus sized. That in and of itself is not insulating in the context used it is a descriptor. As to the "newly hired" comment, he may have first hand knowledge and be trying to relay that as a potential reason former actions. I also can insert and the young comment as it is common accepts that young people are inexperienced for the most aspects of the legal world.

I think him giving an accurate description to the best of his abilities is a good thing for people that frequent that area so they know who they may bedealing with.

You on the other hand need to stop being so judgmental and learn to ask questions before jumping to conclusions. If your avatar is any indication of your chosen profession I hope that you take that piece of advice. I try (an sometimes succeed) at trying to see past the possible negatives and luck for the best possible explanation.

Now on the other hand. You may be right. But my comment still stands.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

TJW815 wrote:Vex, I cannot speak for the OP but he didn't call her "fat" he said plus sized. That in and of itself is not insulating in the context used it is a descriptor. As to the "newly hired" comment, he may have first hand knowledge and be trying to relay that as a potential reason former actions. I also can insert and the young comment as it is common accepts that young people are inexperienced for the most aspects of the legal world.

I think him giving an accurate description to the best of his abilities is a good thing for people that frequent that area so they know who they may bedealing with.

You on the other hand need to stop being so judgmental and learn to ask questions before jumping to conclusions. If your avatar is any indication of your chosen profession I hope that you take that piece of advice. I try (an sometimes succeed) at trying to see past the possible negatives and luck for the best possible explanation.

When did body fat stop being an insulator? :?
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Michael

Post by Michael »

Were you detained? If so, I am curious what crime you were suspected of committing.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

Michael wrote:Were you detained? If so, I am curious what crime you were suspected of committing.
I feel like he would have mentioned that.

Whoever called probably told the cop the place was posted. If someone ever called a MWAG on me, I think I'd be curious enough to get a copy of the call.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

So is the mall a well-posted CPZ or not? If its not a posted location, then I'm left still wondering the reason for the security guard's call to the police.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Vex

Post by Vex »

TJW815 wrote:Vex, I cannot speak for the OP but he didn't call her "fat" he said plus sized. That in and of itself is not insulating in the context used it is a descriptor. As to the "newly hired" comment, he may have first hand knowledge and be trying to relay that as a potential reason former actions. I also can insert and the young comment as it is common accepts that young people are inexperienced for the most aspects of the legal world.

So wait, the OP insulted the mall cop and I'm the one being judgmental?

This is the most ------ thing I've ever read here. (I have censored my descriptor so I won't inadvertently offend your sensibilities.)

For the record, I did ask two questions. See my original response.

I should also point out that your "mall ninjas united" comment is offensive and insulting. You should stop being so judgemental. :lol: