Chicken Little: Mall Cop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Chicken Little: Mall Cop

Post by JediSkipdogg »

color of law wrote:Because the law says it. You cannot have a law that says that if you do X in Y area it's a civil matter and then also say that if you do the same X in Y area it's a criminal matter. It makes one of the laws superfluous.

A sign is posted, it's civil. A sign is not posted, it's criminal.

I went through this over on Buckeye. http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewt ... 11&t=18882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm curious what Werz's take is on the situation.

Also, I'm not referring to Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74.
So you're saying if I'm carrying a gun at the Monroe Prime Outlet Malls and marching around their parking lot only, I can do that all day long as I wish? Neither the Monroe PD or the Outlet Mall can kick me off their property or arrest me for trespassing?

If security says you can't be there, you have to leave, otherwise, it's criminal trespass if you refuse. I don't see how another section can override that, if it can, we've totally destroyed private property rights.

Werz would be good for this one.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Vex

Post by Vex »

color of law wrote: A sign is posted, it's civil. A sign is not posted, it's criminal.
Knowingly violating the sign is civil, but knowingly violating a verbal command by the property owner to leave is still, and always will be, criminal.

When are you going to tell us what case (since it's not Pruneyard) you are referring to?
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

<sigh> Here we go again ...
  • Every situation is different. There are no pat answers. Only fools believe in pat answers.
  • Scenario 1: Posting of a private parking lot with a gunbuster sign + knowing disobedience of the gunbuster sign = civil trespass. R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)(a).
  • Scenario 2: Creating a disturbance (scaring the sheep) in a private parking lot + actual communication of oral notice to leave + refusal to leave = criminal trespass. R.C. 2911.21(A)(3).
  • For the latter scenario, the posting of a sign is irrelevant. An argument of privilege, created by a private parking lot being open to the public, must yield to the right of other invitees to quiet enjoyment of the premises. State v. Smith, 2012-Ohio-4861, at ¶16 (2nd Dist.).
HTH
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

So, letterofthelaw, any chance of update on the public information requests?
letterofthelaw

Post by letterofthelaw »

Nothing. No incoming 911 calls. No Patrol to HQ radio traffic. Perhaps the Deputies were sitting on the property and the security just drove over and told them. I have seen a car on occasion hanging out in front of the abandoned Kroger in the that pseudo abandoned incomplete property you can see from 71. Perhaps there is an unofficial radio between security and the assigned Deputies and they were informed that way. Don't think its to much of a stretch since those walkie talkie handsets have got such a big range for not much money now.

That's the end I guess.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

letterofthelaw wrote:Nothing. No incoming 911 calls. No Patrol to HQ radio traffic. Perhaps the Deputies were sitting on the property and the security just drove over and told them. I have seen a car on occasion hanging out in front of the abandoned Kroger in the that pseudo abandoned incomplete property you can see from 71. Perhaps there is an unofficial radio between security and the assigned Deputies and they were informed that way. Don't think its to much of a stretch since those walkie talkie handsets have got such a big range for not much money now.

That's the end I guess.
They park down there a lot because well....there's quite a bit of crime from that mall. I guarantee you at least once a week mall security chases a theft suspect and the police get involved.

I've heard rumors that the security and police share some short range radios, yet I've never seen one and I hear dispatches from the Hamilton County Communications Center all the time with security as the caller. So my guess is they don't have any.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Sounds like the LEO's may have just arrived by coincidence or mall security flagged them down or knew where to find them and told them in person.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

I wonder if the mall is employing deputies for off-duty work. That might explain a little of the "attitude" the OP saw, if the deputy was not from Sycamore Township but instead, from corrections, making a couple of extra bucks.

Not sure they get cruiser when they do that, though... and Christmas seems like a more likely time.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

147Doc wrote:I wonder if the mall is employing deputies for off-duty work. That might explain a little of the "attitude" the OP saw, if the deputy was not from Sycamore Township but instead, from corrections, making a couple of extra bucks.

Not sure they get cruiser when they do that, though... and Christmas seems like a more likely time.
AFAIK the mall hasn't gotten they bad. They generally always have 3-4 security on duty at all times and deputies don't go to far from the mall in the evening hours.