Scary situation in Niles

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

theduddha2

Scary situation in Niles

Post by theduddha2 »

I went with my family to do some walking on a bike trail in Niles. This trail I was told, is expected to be added to the large Millcreek Park bike trail in the near future. Anyways, I was with my wife and 3yr old who really likes to walk. So we walked a half a mile or so and came to a little playground. My kid of course went nuts and wanted to play. My wife looked at me and I shrugged. Making sure we weren't in a cpz, we entered. As we're approached the Jungle Jim I I noticed a young person staring at us from just outside of the park. I thought "better keep an eye on him". I started looking around and noticed that this little playground was a mess with trash everywhere. My wife started picking up the trash and throwing it away. I noticed my "friend" wasn't alone anymore, he had a buddy and they were both watching us.

I was going to tell my wife it's time to go when she picked up a wet blue bandana! I told her to drop it and she was like a wife, going to argue with me. I told her it was probably a gang thing and we should leave. She gave me that look that every husband knows, that one that means I am acting too paranoid. Then she followed my gaze to see 3 people watching us. Another was watching us from a backyard on a cellphone. We basically had to drag our son kicking and screaming out of the play area. As we were leaving I saw on the back of a stop sign the word crip painted.

As we were leaving a man with baggy pants was walking toward us briskly while talking on a cell phone. I had my hand ready to draw and he nodded and walked past us. Maybe he changed his mind, maybe he had nothing bad on his mind, I will never know for sure. For the first time I am sure that my wife was glad I was carrying.

I made a promise to myself to carry as often as I can this year and am doing a good job of doing just that. It means it takes me an extra 10 minutes to get ready, after a long drive my back and side is sore, I sometimes have to go back to my car and drop off my gun to enter a cpz, etc. It also means that my family is much more secure and safe if something goes wrong. I grew up in Ytown and saw some crazy stuff so I have a pretty good grasp of the bad guys but my wife does not. I think this small and pretty uneventful incident helped my wife better appreciate what we do.
Molon Labe!
mreising

Re: Scary situation in Niles

Post by mreising »

Maybe it's time for a large open carry walk trash cleanup thru that playground. :)
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
theduddha2

Post by theduddha2 »

mreising wrote:Maybe it's time for a large open carry walk trash cleanup thru that playground. :)
Yes! Great idea
Molon Labe!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Scary stuff.....but maybe they were just resting after a long walk on the trail... :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

theduddha2 wrote:
mreising wrote:Maybe it's time for a large open carry walk trash cleanup thru that playground. :)
Yes! Great idea
I've always thought that trash cleanups are a great idea. Good P.R. stuff.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I have some wet, red bandanas I can leave by the slides.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Congrats on being aware of your surroundings.. and getting up and out of there as timely as you did.
Congrats to your wife for sensibly siding with your analysis of the situaion.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Javelin Man wrote:I have some wet, red bandanas I can leave by the slides.
My gang prefers ACU bandanas.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

pirateguy191 wrote:
theduddha2 wrote:
Yes! Great idea
I'll never forget the time Gorge W. Bush, when crossing the lawn after exiting the Helicopter stooped and picked up a piece of trash. That left an impression on me. :)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

pirateguy191 wrote:
theduddha2 wrote:
Yes! Great idea
+1 8)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Always trust your gut feelings. Always.
theduddha2

Post by theduddha2 »

Javelin Man wrote:I have some wet, red bandanas I can leave by the slides.
The thought put a smile on my face!
Molon Labe!
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Tweed Ring wrote:Always trust your gut feelings. Always.
Always trust the gut..... if there is a cleanup will try and make it :)
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

We went biking on the Greenway Trail in Ashtabula county last Sunday. I then read in the paper that a body, shot in the head, had been dumped that day and found by a pedestrian at the time we were biking. The body was about a mile from the trail, along 307.
Reminds me of what my Brother-in-law says about fish: "They do swim around." These bad guys do drive around, they have to eat, MAYBE they work, they probably go shopping at WalMart.....
Be aware of your surroundings, you just never know where these guys will pop up. Gals too, but my main worry is the guys.
Good job OP
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Don't discount the "fairer sex", they can be just as deadly.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.