Two very different contacts in two days.

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

Two very different contacts in two days.

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

For those of you who don't know me, I am a full time police officer. Just sharing my encounters.

Yesterday… Get a call from a business owner about a strange car in his parking lot at the start of the business day. I show up and start looking over the unoccupied car. The business owner comes out to speak with me and at a bout 20 feet away in a friendly voice he notifies that he has a CHL and is carrying. I thank him and continue on. As far as I am concerned this is what a typical contact under current law should be like.

Today… Make a traffic stop on a man in his 50's for speed. He advises that his wallet is in the trunk and pushes the door open and tries to exit in a hurry. I stop him and ask why his wallet is in the trunk. He proceeds to tell me that is where he keeps it so if he gets robbed he won't have his wallet and money on his person. I allow him to exit and go to the trunk. As he is walking back I ask about weapons. He responded in an appalled manner, "No I don't carry weapons and if it were up to me no one would carry or own weapons". The wallet is obtained from a very unique hiding place in the trunk. I finish the stop and we part ways. Part of me is thinking he is a little paranoid about the wallet hiding but slightly impressed with the thought and discipline this guy goes to for the security of his wallet… Then I think what kind of numbskull is that naive about gun ownership but that paranoid about being robbed. I guess he is just a really paranoid sheep.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Two very different contacts in two days.

Post by Werz »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:Then I think what kind of numbskull is that naive about gun ownership but that paranoid about being robbed.
The same type who forbids guns in his home but builds a panic room.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

Werz wrote:
ApexShootingTactics wrote:Then I think what kind of numbskull is that naive about gun ownership but that paranoid about being robbed.
Fear and fear.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Sounds like an Obama voter but doesn't approve of his "redistribute the wealth" doctrine. :mrgreen:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

50 yrs. old and still blessed he has not been a victim of a crime. There for who cares attitude. Idiot...

I thought women were the only ones that put their purse in the trunk ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

ApexShootingTactics wrote: The wallet is obtained from a very unique hiding place in the trunk.
Dude, unique hiding places in vehicles are illegal. Why did you let that criminal off the hook?

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

No dope residue ?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

carmen fovozzo wrote:50 yrs. old and still blessed he has not been a victim of a crime. There for who cares attitude. Idiot...

I thought women were the only ones that put their purse in the trunk ?
I am 70 and never a victim of a crime. A benefit of living a lifetime among the cornfields! :)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Yes...but you are not a idiot... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Sig1144 wrote:
Werz wrote:
Fear and fear.
Quoted for truth.
ApexShootingTactics

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

Pecker wrote:
ApexShootingTactics wrote: The wallet is obtained from a very unique hiding place in the trunk.
Dude, unique hiding places in vehicles are illegal. Why did you let that criminal off the hook?

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unique is not illegal. That is exactly why I said "unique hiding place" and not hidden compartment.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Pecker wrote:

I thought they are only illegal if used for the transport of a controlled substance with a minimum of visible residue of a controlled substance being necessary for conviction?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Klingon00 wrote:
Pecker wrote:

I thought they are only illegal if used for the transport of a controlled substance with a minimum of visible residue of a controlled substance being necessary for conviction?
That is also my understanding. If that is not the case, then hopefully someone can explain where we are misreading the ORC:
(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Just gotta remember not to eat powdered doughnuts in the car! :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio