What is sufficient for carry?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Carrying a _________ for self defense is ok for EVERYDAY carry. I'd do it myself.

Handgun. Handguns are sufficient for my EVERYDAY carry.
90%
Submachine Gun or Long gun (Rifle, Shotgun, submachine gun, etc).
1%
Handgun and Long Gun/Submachine Gun.
9%

Total votes: 119

Glock513

What is sufficient for carry?

Post by Glock513 »

http://www.guns.com/2014/05/09/moms-cla ... ersy-video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello, everyone. After reading this article, it's brought up a bunch of mixed emotions. Please don't hate me for having an opinion. :lol: I support the 2nd, as well as the other amendments and Constitution. Although I mostly carry concealed, sometimes I do open carry... a handgun. Yes, I do carry everyday. But, what to think of guys who open carry semi-rifles and tactical shotguns to say a restaurant, Walmart, a movie theater, the doctor's office, a Children's Festival, etc? Sure, they are not breaking any laws if they qualify to own a gun, but why carry a combat rifle or shotgun just to go grocery shopping? I think this does NOT help the cause. We are still trying convince people that we have a right to carry a handgun and right to defend ourselves, then a guy walks into McDonalds with a AR-308, a tactical vest with 6 AR 30rd mags, a Glock 21 on the hip, 4 mags in the vest for it, and level IIIA body armor with level IV ceramic plates simply to order a Big Mac combo and a kid's meal for his daughter. His buddy walks in behind him, carrying an AK AMD-65 on a sling, tac vest, mags in every pocket, wearing a ballistic helmet, just to order 2 apple pies:lol:. Sure you can, but why do it? :?: Carrying a semi-auto rifle, long gun, etc. on a shooting range, private property on your rural land, or walking the streets of Syria or Ukraine, understandable, but carrying it publically for no reason other than to support the 2nd amendment right, I'm not sure it's reasonable. Does this help or hurt us?

Please give your opinion. Also, please respect others difference in opinions. We all support the 2nd and the Constitution. :mrgreen: Yes, I love my "assault"/semi-auto rifles and shotguns. But, I carry them at the range, or hunting trips, or at Knob Creek, etc. Handungs are my EDC. If I lived in a rural area, maybe I'd carry a long gun on my property. But to Wally World with a 308 FAL just to pick up deodorant and frozen broccoli? :lol:
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
deanimator

Re: What is sufficient for carry?

Post by deanimator »

Here in NE Ohio, my Smith 36 is more than enough.

Were I, through some unimaginable catastrophe, find myself back in my old neighborhood in apartheid Chicago, I'd want to carry a wz63, 9x18mm Skorpion, or MAC-11C, although a Mauser 712 "Schnellfeuer" would be more elegant.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

A handgun is sufficient for EDC. Impromptu Long Gun carry is giving easy wins to Bloomberg's nanny groups.

I support any type of carry and I think that all forms of carry should remain legal and protected. However, there is a time and a place for everything.

We can squabble amongst ourselves in our clubhouses, but when it's time to get to work, we need to stand together.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Just a handgun most of the time.... BIG one :D, but.... (OK, it's an Officer's-sized 1911.)

However, I wish I could keep my Mossy in the car, ready to go. Every once in a while the wife demands that we stop someplace that's seriously hazardous (in my view), and....

Overall, IMHO, we shouldn't be someplace that more firepower is needed, although sometimes such situations can appear out of nowhere, and there's really no such thing as a "bad area" - your own living room can become a combat zone real fast if the BG's decide it's your day....

I would like to see the unlicensed folks able to carry a loaded gun in their vehicles in some convenient way. OC is protected by the Constitution, but the concept of making a firearm in a vehicle "concealed" is kind of nonsense. "Plain Sight", which we all hated, might fly if somebody could afford the Court action....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

I love the idea of a ready-to-go trunk gun.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Your second and third option are out of reach for 99% of us when you consider most machine guns cost at least $10,000
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

rDigital wrote:A handgun is sufficient for EDC. Impromptu Long Gun carry is giving easy wins to Bloomberg's nanny groups.

I support any type of carry and I think that all forms of carry should remain legal and protected. However, there is a time and a place for everything.

We can squabble amongst ourselves in our clubhouses, but when it's time to get to work, we need to stand together.
If there were a LIKE button....I'd be pushing it....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

A handgun is sufficient IMHO. That does not mean that other options should be illegal. Actually, I don't even agree with the concept of an "illegal gun". A pistol, or two, and a SBS in the car/truck would be my ideal.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

You can scare the sheep a little bit, to get them to move in your direction. Scare them too much, and the huddle up.

Like those Starbucks idiots....
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

I voted "handgun is sufficient" right now for purposes of this poll; however, if the MSM would for some reason decide to start reporting the political truth at some point in the future, I might want to change my vote.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Mr. Glock wrote:You can scare the sheep a little bit, to get them to move in your direction. Scare them too much, and the huddle up.

That's not fair.

Those "idiots" had been OC'ing their long guns at Starbucks and other places for years.

It was the "idiots" at Moms Demand Action that started the national boycott against Starbucks.

Yes, the firearms owners retaliated with "Starbuck Appreciation Days" and drew too much attention to the issue...but it was the Moms in need of some Action who caused it to be an issue.
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

concreteguy wrote:Your second and third option are out of reach for 99% of us when you consider most machine guns cost at least $10,000
And 99% of us are too sensible to blow 10 or 20 grand on a weapon...just because it fires a wee bit faster than it's under $1000 variants :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Impromptu Long Gun carry is giving easy wins to Bloomberg's nanny groups.
What he said.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:You can scare the sheep a little bit, to get them to move in your direction. Scare them too much, and the huddle up.

That's not fair.

Those "idiots" had been OC'ing their long guns at Starbucks and other places for years.

It was the "idiots" at Moms Demand Action that started the national boycott against Starbucks.

Yes, the firearms owners retaliated with "Starbuck Appreciation Days" and drew too much attention to the issue...but it was the Moms in need of some Action who caused it to be an issue.
I think it is quite fair. Those idiots had not been OCing long guns into Starbucks in noticeable numbers. Had the response to Moms Demand Disarmament been handled better, had there not been a Starbucks Appreciation Day where long guns were carried, many carelessly, Into Starbucks in droves, we would not have the situation that we do today. It likely would have gone like Staples. Quietly fizzled with no anti-gun repercussions.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Fonejack54

Post by Fonejack54 »

I believe with all my heart that if people keep open carrying long guns we will see legislation banning open carry in Ohio.
'The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!'" Eleanor Roosevelt

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain" Apostle Paul