What is sufficient for carry?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Carrying a _________ for self defense is ok for EVERYDAY carry. I'd do it myself.

Handgun. Handguns are sufficient for my EVERYDAY carry.
90%
Submachine Gun or Long gun (Rifle, Shotgun, submachine gun, etc).
1%
Handgun and Long Gun/Submachine Gun.
9%

Total votes: 119

CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: What is sufficient for carry?

Post by CroManGun »

Morne wrote:
JU-87 wrote: A right NOT exercised, is a right LOST.
Ever injure yourself while exercising? Pull a muscle? Twist an ankle?

Ultimately that's just part of exercise. You heal, you get stronger and move on. But you also LEARN from it. You learn to stretch so as to avoid that nasty groin pull. You learn better form so as to not hurt that shoulder while lifting. Et cetera.

Exercising rights is much the same. There are better (and worse) ways to do it. When one way results in negative consequence it is time to re-assess the HOW and revise the method of exercise.

No need to abandon anything. But after we heal we need to make sure not to re-injure ourselves in the exact same way.
Good analogy. When exercising your rights, using some performance enhancer (common sense) goes a long way toward achieving the desired results.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

Interesting analogy, nice!! :mrgreen: . People should learn from their mistakes, but unfortunately they don't.

The police, the SWAT team, the FBI, Homeland Security, none of their OC carry long guns. They only get them out of the car when they are engaged or pretty sure they are about to be engaged in combat. If LEO's don't think it's necessary to OC a long gun 24/7, why do we, when we have even less chance than a LEO of being engaged in armed combat? It just makes no sense :idea: . These long gun OC'ers are hurting the cause. They give anti-gunners free ammo to attack the 2nd. Businesses that previously had NO PROBLEM with CCW are now putting up signs prohibited ALL guns in their establishment, unless you're a LEO. This is 100% the fault of these long gun OC'ers. If you truly want to OC a long gun 24/7, join the armed forces and ask to be deployed to an area of serious conflict :idea: . There is a 99.99% you will NOT be attacked by domestic terrorist wielding a FAL in aisle 8 at your local grocery store :lol: .
Morne wrote:
JU-87 wrote: A right NOT exercised, is a right LOST.
Ever injure yourself while exercising? Pull a muscle? Twist an ankle?

Ultimately that's just part of exercise. You heal, you get stronger and move on. But you also LEARN from it. You learn to stretch so as to avoid that nasty groin pull. You learn better form so as to not hurt that shoulder while lifting. Et cetera.

Exercising rights is much the same. There are better (and worse) ways to do it. When one way results in negative consequence it is time to re-assess the HOW and revise the method of exercise.

No need to abandon anything. But after we heal we need to make sure not to re-injure ourselves in the exact same way.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

My problem is with those who carry long guns into retail establishments, with no former conversation, nor permission from owners/management.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Tweed Ring wrote:My problem is with those who carry long guns into retail establishments, with no former conversation, nor permission from owners/management.
As I understand it from posts over on OCDO, the LGOCers in question did have prior conversations and permission from the retail establishments in question - and this still happened.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Voice

Post by Voice »

JustaShooter wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:My problem is with those who carry long guns into retail establishments, with no former conversation, nor permission from owners/management.
As I understand it from posts over on OCDO, the LGOCers in question did have prior conversations and permission from the retail establishments in question - and this still happened.
That's what I've been hearing. These weren't surprise visits. They were pre-arranged.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Based upon what I have read regarding the latest Texas scenario, if they had prior approval, they lost it quickly.
Voice

Post by Voice »

Tweed Ring wrote:Based upon what I have read regarding the latest Texas scenario, if they had prior approval, they lost it quickly.
Care to clarify? I haven't seen anything indicating that they lost it prior to leaving on their own. (In all likelihood, hours/days later after the anti-gunners had time to raise an organized stink.)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Voice wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:Based upon what I have read regarding the latest Texas scenario, if they had prior approval, they lost it quickly.
Care to clarify? I haven't seen anything indicating that they lost it prior to leaving on their own.
That is my understanding as well, from what OCT members have posted over on OCDO.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Voice wrote:
Care to clarify? I haven't seen anything indicating that they lost it prior to leaving on their own. (In all likelihood, hours/days later after the anti-gunners had time to raise an organized stink.)
Ya gotta' do your own research, as the information is out there. If I do it for you, I'll have to charge you...
Voice

Post by Voice »

Tweed Ring wrote:
Voice wrote:
Ya gotta' do your own research, as the information is out there. If I do it for you, I'll have to charge you...
Sorry, Tweed, but you made the claim, it's not my job to support your claim with evidence, it's yours. In fact, your statement was ambiguous enough that I was asking for clarification on what you meant. If I can't discern *that* from your post, how could I be expected to dig up your incited supporting info if I had the desire to attempt to do so?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

No need to apologize.

Actually, I provided an opinion, biased upon what I had read. If you want me to cite chapter and verse, i.e. research and provide supporting documentation, then we must start with a personal services contract regarding hours, compensation, expenses, etc.

For many years, I was paid for performing research and providing my opinion to others based upon same. As my hourly rate is expensive, I highly recommend you do your own research on the matter. But, if that is not doable, for whatever reason, I am only a PM away.

"They also serve who stand and wait..."
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Although I do get the urge from time to time to strap on a Long Rifle or Shotgun and go eat at the local McDonalds just because I am in that kind of mood, my better Angels usually win out on this one. I don't look down on this type of action (obviously) but in the end do I think it hurts or helps the cause................................Unfortunately I think it hurts.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Well well....72% say handguns......9% say rifles.....obvious conclusion....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

http://m.wlwt.com/money/Sonic-Chili-s-L ... e/26255182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Long gun OC'ers are becoming cancerous to all gun owners.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Glock513 wrote:http://m.wlwt.com/money/Sonic-Chili-s-L ... e/26255182
Long gun OC'ers are becoming cancerous to all gun owners.
Chili's, which is owned by Brinker International, said Friday, "We kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue."
There is clarification in that statement. CC and you have no problem. If you HAVE to carry a long gun, try calling ahead and find a restaurant that will accommodate you. Or, provide more fuel to the fire lit by Mr. Bloomberg and his flock.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;