Traffic Stop, Disagreement with Officer about ORC

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sig1144

Traffic Stop, Disagreement with Officer about ORC

Post by Sig1144 »

I've been stopped three times since obtaining my CHL. The first two times I was armed, I notified the officer, and everything went fine.

This last time, I was not armed, so I did not notify. After taking my license and proof of insurance, the officer returned and asked me if I had something else to give him. I told him that I didn't understand his question. He then told me that when he ran my plates, he knew that had a CHL, and that I needed to give/show him my CHL. He then told me that anytime that I was asked for ID that I needed to also give my CHL.

I told him that was not my understanding of the ORC. That if I was not armed, that I did not need to notify. He then said that the ORC changes every year and that I must not be up to date with my reading of it. He said that my instructor should have told me that.

Actually, my instructor did tell me that, and also taught us that if anyone else drives a vehicle registered under my name that they would have to inform that the vehicle owner has a CHL and that they are not armed (ie: my wife). However, my subsequent reading and study of the ORC (Including discussions with retired and active LEO friends) did not reveal this need to notify if unarmed.

Anyway, I asked him some more questions about my need to notify and we had a pleasant conversation. My only other point of disagreement was that he said that if I was an unarmed passenger in a car and an officer asked for my ID that I should also include my CHL. I don't really understand that. I don't even see in the ORC a need to carry my CHL if I'm not armed. I also don't see a requirement to even have any ID if I'm not driving, never mind my CHL.

Sorry for the long post, I guess the point of the post is that I'm interested to hear your understanding of the ORC regarding the topic of notifying when unarmed.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Traffic Stop, Disagreement with Officer about ORC

Post by JediSkipdogg »

You are correct....

Armed = notify
Not armed = not notify

This applies to anyone in said vehicle on a traffic stop. It doesn't matter who the car is registered to.

Did you happen to get the officer's name? I don't want to say you should start a war, but if you could maybe call his department and ask for his email address I would suggest sending him some info on the ORC. If you need help writing something, I'd be glad to help, although it could be a few days on that area. Quoting the exact ORC is the best method then he can either ignore it, reply back appologizing and thanking you, or somehow disagreeing with you (those are always the fun ones.)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Did you happen to get the officer's name? I don't want to say you should start a war, but if you could maybe call his department and ask for his email address I would suggest sending him some info on the ORC. If you need help writing something, I'd be glad to help, although it could be a few days on that area. Quoting the exact ORC is the best method then he can either ignore it, reply back appologizing and thanking you, or somehow disagreeing with you (those are always the fun ones.)
I've been thinking of doing this. I have some access to this department because I work in their jurisdiction and my work brings me into contact with the department.

I did not get the officer's name, I didn't think of it till the next day. I could still write a letter to the department and reference the stop. I mostly, at that time, wanted to get home after another 12 hour work day that kicked my butt.

Thanks for the reply.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

My position on notification to police during a traffic stop is not popular herein. I train students to develop a paragraph to recite whenever stopped, whether carrying concealed or not, which covers most questions the trooper/deputy/officer may ask.

Over the years, I have come to believe that the most frequent interaction my CHL students will have is during their periodic traffic stops. Such interactions can be stressful at best; I find that learning and practicing my paragraph is the best way for my students to deal with traffic stops.

Other trainers will have other opinions.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Hand the officer your fishing, hunting, and snipe hunting license along with your CHL if you're unarmed.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Was your instructor from the law enforcement community?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

pirateguy191 wrote:Was your instructor from the law enforcement community?
No
Ray

Post by Ray »

Sig1144....... Welcome to the forum.............. Many very Smart people on here......... :lol: :lol:

What County are you in, or the area would maybe help...........

If I'm ever stopped and I'm not carrying, I wouldn't notify. As the ORC only says we have to inform if were armed............

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I'll be the first to admit that our CCW laws remain a work in progress and every two years or so we are indeed making changes. That being said the requirement about when notification must be made has been consistent for a decade. Yeah they've tweaked penalties here and there but the basic rule of Armed=Notify, Unarmed=Your Choice has never changed. I also don't see it being ripe for change any time in the near future.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

It's called "pushing the envelope".

I had that same conversation with a Rocky River cop a few years ago. I didn't notify then, and I NEVER will as long as I'm unarmed.

I obey the LAW, not random whim.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Tweed Ring wrote:My position on notification to police during a traffic stop is not popular herein. I train students to develop a paragraph to recite whenever stopped, whether carrying concealed or not, which covers most questions the trooper/deputy/officer may ask.

Over the years, I have come to believe that the most frequent interaction my CHL students will have is during their periodic traffic stops. Such interactions can be stressful at best; I find that learning and practicing my paragraph is the best way for my students to deal with traffic stops.

Please recite that unpopular position.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

color of law wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:My position on notification to police during a traffic stop is not popular herein. I train students to develop a paragraph to recite whenever stopped, whether carrying concealed or not, which covers most questions the trooper/deputy/officer may ask.

Always notify, because to an officer, attitude is everything. Is it worth the hassle of standing on your righrs?
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

color of law wrote:

I want the notification requirement to be eliminated.

Having said the above, I train students to:
1.) Greet the LEO.
2.) State one’s name.
3.) State whether one is armed or not.
4.) Require if there is anything the driver can do to assist the officer.

My students' time is valuable. The officer's time is also valuable. I doubt any of those I have trained have become felons on-the-run. The more expeditiously the traffic stop can be completed, the faster the officer can leave my student to be on his way, and said officer can go seek a true criminal.

Traditionally, hereon, my philosophy of training students to deal with traffic stops has not been popular with other Ohio CHL trainers, with Ohio CHL holders, with non-trainers, hangers-on, transient posters, etc.

I have found that opinions are like orfices...everyone has them...
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Looking at this objectively, here is my point of view:
  • I don't like notification, and I don't think it's helpful. Nevertheless, it is statutory, and I don't anticipate it changing in the immediate future. Therefore, that is the paradigm under which we must operate.
  • I can understand an officer making a limited inquiry. If an officer sees the CHL notation on the mobile data terminal, it tells the officer that the registered owner of the vehicle has a CHL. Upon receiving the driver's other identification, the officer confirms that the registered owner is the driver. If the driver does not give the statutory notification, the officer is faced with several possibilities:
    1. The driver is unarmed.
    2. The driver is armed but forgot to notify.
    3. The driver is armed but is knowingly avoiding notification.
  • At that point, it is probably fair for the officer to ask, "Do you have a handgun with you today?" If the answer is "No," the officer's only reasonable response would be, "Just checking."
  • If the person is armed and apologizes for not notifying, the officer may cite the person for the minor misdemeanor. It is equally likely that the officer will say, "You need to remember to notify. I won't cite you, but I know guys who will."
  • I do have a problem with officers posing questions like "Do you have something else to give me?" or "Did you forget something?" It's not unlawful, but it's a bit smug, arrogant and rude.
  • I have a substantial problem with the officer arguing about the law. Either the officer is unfamiliar with the actually requirements of the law, or the officer is trying to excuse additional questions by misstating the law. In either case, the matter should be remedied by a supervisor, or it is likely to happen again.
That's just my 2¢.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

I was involved in an property damage accident a few weeks ago in Grove City. I called into GCPD dispatch to request an officer for a report.

As a courtesy - I notified dispatch of my CHL and that I was armed, asked that the responding officer be informed. That way, when I approach him for notification - he is already aware, and has decided how he wants to handle the situation. Like I said - its all about courtesy from my point of view. That encounter ended up with me handing the officer an OFCC flyer and a pleasant conversation.

I have notified in states where notification is not required - as a courtesy. Last time I did that, it wound up with a nice conversation on the firearm I was carrying and my choice of holster.

My goal is to be courteous and accommodating to help the officer get his job done. I don't like when others make my job more difficult, so I extend that to how I treat others. Being courteous and accommodating/pleasant to an officer does not equate to giving up my rights (or having them trampled) - it is just a nice way to get through the encounter.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;