First encounter with an LEO since getting my license.

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dixon

First encounter with an LEO since getting my license.

Post by Dixon »

I have had my license for a little over 5 years. Luckily I have never had to inform due to not coming into contact with any LEOs since. That changed today.

On my way to work, my car suddenly died. This was on 224 in Boardman. Nowhere to pull off the road but luckily I was a couple hundred feet from where a turning lane started so I was able to pull into the middle of the road to get out of the way of traffic (not sure what it is called but it was an area that was sectioned off with yellow lines).

I called a tow truck and called my wife to pick me up. When she arrived, she was parked in an adjacent parking lot that was on the other side of a slight embankment. No sooner do I get over to her, then State Highway pulls up behind my vehicle and puts their lights on. This was a bit awkward. I didn't want them to think it was abandoned, but I also knew better than to approach their vehicle. I walked back over and stood by my car...gave them a little wave to acknowledge them, and waited for them to run my plates.

The one officer got out and asked me what happened. I told him that it died and a tow truck was on the way. He asked if I happened to have my license. I told him I did and I pulled it out of my pocket. He then asked if I had my Carry License. I told him that I did but I was unarmed(I can't carry at work). He took my license and got back into his car. Again, I tried to stand there and not look awkward while trying to casually keep my hands in plain sight. He got back out, gave me my license and told me we were all set.

I've always tried to be prepared for being pulled over. Turn the interior light on, hands on the wheel, inform, etc... Was caught a little off guard by this. I'm not sure what the proper protocol was, but I guess I did okay.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: First encounter with an LEO since getting my license.

Post by Stryker74 »

You did fine - you were not armed, so no need to notify. You provided your IDs when asked, and seemed to be polite about it all.

You could have casually approached the cruiser I would think. They are watching your hands and for sudden movements - keep those clear, and I imagine most officers are OK with you approaching the cruiser.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fisher

Re: First encounter with an LEO since getting my license.

Post by fisher »

Good info. Thanks.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;