Interesting encounter today

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

Interesting encounter today

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

My full time job is a police officer so this is from my perspective…

I responded to a private property traffic crash today, arrived on scene and met with four people outside of the vehicles. There was a man and woman from each vehicle involved. After making sure everyone was ok I asked for the driver's license and insurance of the two drivers. As the driver's obtained their info a passenger from one vehicle politely advised he has a CHL and is carrying while pointed to his right hip. I said, "Ok, thanks" and collected the driver's documents.

At this point I separate the two parties and interview them about what took place. I was speaking to the two that did not have the CHL. Once we were out of ear shot the male said, "Wow, aren't you nervous". I just looked at him not really knowing what he meant and it dawned on me what he was driving at. I said, No, not at all and the guy looked at me like I had two heads.

If I didn't have better things to do I would have questioned the man a bit more about his statement.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Interesting encounter today

Post by Werz »

Someone who knows nothing at all about concealed carry probably thinks that statutory notification is some sort of veiled threat.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Werz wrote:Someone who knows nothing at all about concealed carry probably thinks that statutory notification is some sort of veiled threat.
Interesting thought.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Thanks for posting, and for reacting to the CCW the way it should be done.
So....who was at fault for the accident???
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Birdman wrote:So....who was at fault for the accident???
Private property = no fault determined. Let the insurance companies duke it out :lol:
Fonejack54

Post by Fonejack54 »

Werz is probably correct. Think about it from a liberal nut case perspective; "Officer, I have a concealed handgun license and I am armed" means you better not do anything to p_ss me off. :roll:
'The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!'" Eleanor Roosevelt

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain" Apostle Paul
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

And yet more evidence that notification should just go away.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Joe Sixpack

Post by Joe Sixpack »

I seriously doubt it was a threat, Most likely the guy was being cautious given how high up the tree is they hang you from (or at least try to) if they want to make a stink about nothing.

It's likely the guy who made the statement to you about being nervous was probably innocent enough. his friend carries a gun, he doesn't.. there a better then fair possibility it makes HIM a bit nervous.

and yes notification needs to go.
If you can't shoot well shoot often
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

To the OP. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the notify requirement.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

The media has constantly driven into peoples minds that the "police" are against guns. They lead the public to believe only what politically appointed anti-gun Chiefs say and never listen to or publish what average officers believe. It probably is a shock for an anti to not to see an officer fear a law abiding gun carrier.

Just guessing, but I think it was the couple afraid of guns in the little red Smart Car with the Sherrod Brown, Hillary, and I brake for animals bumper stickers that caused the accident. :D
HancockCountyHaL
ApexShootingTactics

WestonDon wrote:To the OP. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the notify requirement.
Sorry for the delayed answer… I understand the frustration of people with the notification law. Most of the time… Probably 99% of the time in my case I don't see notification as being necessary. Though it is that 1% of the time that I appreciate notification. If/when notification is taken out of the law it really won't upset me.
-Andrew

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

What would warrant that 1% of the time that you appreciate notification?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
ApexShootingTactics

That 1%… The times I deal with people outside of a vehicle and I don't know they have a CHL until we start talking. I have had numerous incidents over the years where you go to a call and everything goes as planned (concerning notification). After the incident I have often ran scenarios in my head concerning "what if" notification wasn't done, I didn't know they had a CHL and I spotted the gun. Keep in mind, people don't call me when they are having a good day.

One incident that happened a few months ago. There was a traffic crash and the drivers were arguing before my arrival. I walked up and it was tense. The two individuals were angry at each other and there was a lot of damage but no one injured. Notification was where I found out one party was a CHL holder, he was not the vehicle owner so it didn't come up when I ran the plate prior to exiting my patrol car. We were looking at the damage to the CHL holder vehicle and his coat was moving and exposing his holstered pistol. After the incident I thought about "what if" there was no notification and the handgun became visible. How to handle the situation when you don't know the persons legal status. In this case it was VERY heated. Both drivers were very angry at each other and the CHL holder was angry with me because he was at fault.

Another incident was with a suspicious person call. Actually it was just a guy who was Geo Caching. There were a ton of other things going on with this call concerning past history with the location and they guy appeared to be sneaking around. Basically we snuck up on him and he immediately notified us of his CHL status. This was a good thing because with in a few seconds of contact the wind blew his jacket aside and the handgun was visible. Just another "what if" he hadn't told us.
-Andrew

techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

That's a good point... However, even if notification weren't required by law, if I was asked to exit the vehicle or approached when it was at all likely my gun would be noticed, I would inform anyway. In fact, have done so out of state when I thought it was a possibility even though that state had no statutory requirement to do so.
Joe Sixpack

Post by Joe Sixpack »

Apex what if you seen someone OC'ing down the street, you don't know their "legal" status either.

If there is no notification It's simple, Ask about the ones you notice, The ones you don't assume everyone is armed anyway.
Remember guns aren't the only weapons, knives are even easier to conceal and at talking distance just as deadly.

Soft armor commonly worn may not protect against stabling especially ice pick style implements, it's a separate NIJ test.
I don't know how many wear stab vests.

If you want a fool proof way of protecting your self I'd say change jobs, Law Enforcement is dangerous and always will be.
But notification doesn't make you any safer, We only comply with the current laws because we're not out to do harm, anyone who means you harm is not going to warn you.
If you can't shoot well shoot often